Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Paulomega Apr 18, 2020

A deadly model you have there ;)

jimdgreat1 likes this.
  2. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 18, 2020

jimdgreat1 likes this.
  3. cvalue13 Apr 19, 2020

Thanks man; just like my “sound of racking the shotgun” quip, I was just joshing around.

If we are being serious about home invasion type scenarios: I wouldn’t rely on the racking sound, a bayonet display, or throwing stars.

Instead, if I genuinely thought someone was breaking in and I wanted them to give them an opportunity to reconsider, I think I’ll be firing a warning round into my ceiling. The sound of racking a shotgun may not be a deterrent, but the sound of an arrant 3 1/2” Magnum 00 sent through an 18” barrel ...

Then I’ll start screaming “AND I’VE GOT THROWING STARS!!!!”

Archer and ArtVandlay like this.
  4. Jakestx Apr 19, 2020

5. ArtVandlay Apr 19, 2020

New additions here. My newest CC ( and most likely last for a while as it is fantastic) P365xl and a range gun I've been looking at for a while and finally said what the hell, a Rock IslandI 1911 - GI in 38 Super. Obligatory watch inclusions as well.
    IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG
    Edited Apr 19, 2020
    Mtek, Wryfox, Wetworks and 4 others like this.
  6. larryganz The cable guy Apr 19, 2020

Too bad not real silver (Ag).

7. larryganz The cable guy Apr 19, 2020

Oh Man, that is just so wrong. Warning shots are never called for. You either "need" to fire or you don't. You can yell for someone to halt, warn them away with a loud voice, rack the slide, whatever; but no firing warning shots inside the house. And I don't think you have any idea of the amount of damage sending any power double-aught buck through the ceiling (and roof) will do to drywall, beams, water and gas pipes, electrical cord, attic furnaces, and roofing. Even #4 buckshot will penetrate deep enough to make you regret your choices.

PS: Your lawyer will agree with me. And your friendly local police may file charges for negligent discharge of a firearm within city limits if it's a false alarm.

Edited Apr 19, 2020
    Widows Son and Wetworks like this.
  8. mjb Apr 20, 2020

I've got a simple question for you guys. I have a couple of revolvers that are stored loaded, in the trunk of the car and in the house, for security. The ammo is old... and I know I need to replace it. What's a good rule of thumb for reliable performance of old ammo? Two years? Five years? This stuff is probably 20 years old... and probably still works, but imagine how embarrassing it would be if it didn't.

9. Lostpuppy116 Apr 20, 2020

I have an uncle that uses nail polish to seal around the primer and bullet. He says it will keep for many years. I am not as sure, but I know the military stores in ammo cans for many years with aviation flares having a "service" life of five to ten years depending. The shelf life was about another ten years. Shelf life meaning sealed in original plastic and container and has not seen the light of day once in that time period. I myself would use five years for most truck guns, but I would inspect the ammo and shoot one to see if the powder still has proper integrity. Might try shoot one every year to see the results. Or shoot it every year and replace ammo, if the budget allows it. Probably your best bet to replace on the year, if possible, just to make sure the gun is still there and not rusted shut.

mjb likes this.
  10. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 20, 2020

May I repeat: "You either need to fire or you don't"!!!

11. cvalue13 Apr 20, 2020

So you’re saying stick with my throwing stars?

(PS: I am my own lawyer.)

(PSS: I have no attic or even crawl space - and I’ve always wanted more skylights)

12. warrydog Apr 20, 2020

For our U.S. members...... Who's your favorite mail order shooting supply warehouse?
    Midway? Brownells, Palmetto State? Cheaper than dirt?
    I always try to purchase from local (small business) merchants, but gun dealers are becoming scarce in Illinois.
    Thanks in advance
    Tom

13. Lostpuppy116 Apr 20, 2020

I have ordered and had a good experience with Palmetto State (mags and red dots), Brownells (hard to find shotgun part), Midway (ammo and mags), Sig Sauer (ammo, barrel, mags), Cheaper than Dirt (ammo and mags), CDNN (ammo, mags and sights) and The Sportmans Guide (ammo and mags). I have probably missed one. As I read what I typed now, I sure ordered a lot of ammo and magazines.

warrydog likes this.
  14. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 20, 2020

Hard to say. How has it been stored?

I've tested ammunition over the chronograph screens that was over 100 years old. Well, no it wasn't. It was back in the 1990s when I tested it, but that is still very old. The ammunition was some U. S. military Frankfort Arsenal .30-40 ammunition dated 1904, Frankfort Arsenal .45 Colt Ammunition dated 4-11, and some Frankfort Arsenal .38 Long Colt ammunition dated 2-11. It all was sure fire though velocities were somewhat slower than the published velocities were said to have been.

When I was young in the early 1970s I shot off a lot of World War II and Korean War dated military contract .30-06, .30 Carbine, and .45 ACP ammunition. I even shot off some World War I dated .30-06 and .45 ACP ammunition.

I've fired some commercial .38 WCF (.38-40) ammunition (300 rounds of the stuff) that was undated but it was loaded with a small primer and black powder and was sure to predate 1900. About half were duds but the ammunition was dirty and looked to have had poor storage.

I've successfully hunted with both .38-40 ammunition and .405 WCF ammunition from the 1930s.

I recently tested a batch of .38 Special ammunition I had handloaded 30 years ago and it gave normal velocity performance.

I recently was issued some M2 Ball "club" ammunition for a NRA registered high-power match designed as a "retro" M1 Garand match that was head stamped Lake City '67.

If the ammunition has been stored in a clean and dry location and hasn't suffered from a lot of wild temperature extremes, most especially heat, then it should remain serviceable.

15. valkyrie_rider Apr 20, 2020

LOL!

16. mjb Apr 20, 2020

LOL yeah, they're not rusted. That's a good idea... just shoot it and replace yearly.

Good question. One is in the trunk, the other in the house. So, lots of heat for the car gun.

Thank you both for the replies.

17. Lostpuppy116 Apr 20, 2020

I say "rusted shut" because truck gun means many things to many people. To some folks it means a Daniel Defense ar15 with body armor, extra mags and a sidearm, a cheap pistol/shotgun that they are not too worried if it gets stolen out of the vehicle or an abused single shot .22lr for the occasional varmint. As I see it, no one on this forum would abuse or neglect their property, but a "disposable" truck gun, is a different matter. Sounds like you are formulating a plan that works for you. I commend your efforts.

18. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Apr 20, 2020

Shoot a ton of 50 year old 308/7.62 surplus ammo. Think I have one dud out of thousands. Have a couple spam cans of 5.45x39 ammo just waiting for that special day. 76 vintage

warrydog and noelekal like this.
  19. larryganz The cable guy Apr 21, 2020

Yes, the heavy "THUNK!" of a throwing star hitting your side the door should be as effective as racking the slide on a 12 gauge.

20. Waltesefalcon Apr 23, 2020

It all boils down to how the ammo is stored. I've fired 100 year old ammunition before that went bang every time but had been stored in a cool dry place. For the one in your trunk I'd change out the ammo every year, just because of the temperature and humidity variances that ammo is enduring throughout the year.

Professor, noelekal and mjb like this.