Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 21, 2020

This weekend I'll have some fun with this AR. I reconfigured the setup Since I'm using a prism scope red dot I removed the backup sights. Normally I never remove backup sights since this one is more of a range toy I can live without backup sights. I'm getting too lazy damn I keep a messy work bench maybe in the near future I will take some time and clean up my workshop

DSC_0302.JPG
    propervinyl, MtnBkr and noelekal like this.
  2. 03Hemi Jan 22, 2020

Do you have the "third" selection set-up on your selector switch? If not, you need a Binary Trigger. If not outlawed in your state, it's the most fun you can have with your pants on.

voere likes this.
  3. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 23, 2020

Binary triggers are a nice addition to the ar platform. I have a couple m4's that work well in full auto The ar posted is used a training rifle for my family members

03Hemi and Mtek like this.
  4. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 23, 2020

I took the ar posted above for a trial run this afternoon. The vortex 1x prism scope worked very well it offers a lot of bang for the buck price vs performance is very hard to beat.

I had a little spare time this afternoon. I picked my youngest grandson up from school. Then brought him back to my place of business. The shop floor is fairly large the shop area is 400 feet long so with that length I can use the space as an in house shooting range. Since the shop is now being retro fitted with new equipment and heating systems.

For a short time period I have a lot of open space so I took advantage of that. I setup a small make shift indoor range of 75 yards. I dialed in the prism scope and let my grandson run 90 rounds of 5.56 55 grain through the ar. The little guy had a great time and so did I.

My business closes at 3 30 So my grandson and I arrived a little after 4pm and had some fun. I do not want any other people in the shop area when I do things that are not acceptable to others in the shop.

noelekal, MtnBkr and Mtek like this.
  5. Wryfox Jan 23, 2020

Here in Florida, the law is so vague no one knows if Binarys are legal. Some say yes, some say no, some don't know.

The lawmakers sure as heck don't know. But trust me, this is the least of our worries right now.

noelekal and 03Hemi like this.
  6. Waltesefalcon Jan 23, 2020

Voere, I think a lot of us just became jealous of you.

7. vacheroyale Jan 24, 2020

Wow, this is very intimidating for the mailmail !

Mtek likes this.
  8. roman9662 Jan 25, 2020

I always wanted to build a bbq/smoker like that for the gun club I belong to.

9. vacheroyale Jan 25, 2020

Yes, but vintage only!

noelekal likes this.
  10. roman9662 Jan 26, 2020

It has to be a revolver using the cylinder as your cooking area and of course the barrel as a flue. I find the thought of smoke coming out of the barrel hilarious. I wish I had the skills to fabricate it.

noelekal likes this.
  11. Wryfox Jan 27, 2020

Mtek, Waltesefalcon and MtnBkr like this.
  12. Wryfox Jan 27, 2020

If y'all saw the Grammys last night, you still might have missed this....Joe Perry of Aerosmith. Wonder how this got past the PC police.... 1580136865902.jpg

Edited Jan 27, 2020
    larryganz and Waltesefalcon like this.
  13. Wryfox Jan 27, 2020

noelekal, Waltesefalcon and MtnBkr like this.
  14. Waltesefalcon Jan 27, 2020

Didn't you know rock stars get a free pass?

Wryfox likes this.
  15. MtnBkr Jan 27, 2020

Any pro-2A press is welcome.

Waltesefalcon and Wryfox like this.
  16. Wryfox Jan 28, 2020

I have an incredible weakness for Trapdoors. Something about an old single shot military arm that evokes a sense of bravery and precision, along with the birth of metallic cartridges....such a simple tool, but must have been seen as miraculous during the time between muzzle loaders and repeaters(1860s-70s).

Found this at a local gun show. The table had a grandson, father, and grandfather selling miscellaneous stuff together.

I love these kind of folks. The grandfather was 90 and he told me stories of being in the Korean War and how g-damn cold it was over there. Great stuff, and then the grandson talking about dad and grandpa's love of old guns.

Anyway they had this old Trapdoor, which I was holding the whole time they were storytelling.

All correct for the year (1878), except the cut down for-end. I like how it looks and it was fantastic deal.

Honestly, I don't know which I enjoyed more, taking this home or the wonderful stories.

20200127_171458.jpg

Edited Jan 28, 2020
    Kenj, noelekal, Waltesefalcon and 2 others like this.
  17. MtnBkr Jan 28, 2020

Then you must visit the Springfield Armory national historic site in Springfield, MA. You will find these among a large, breathtaking collection of arms and a super friendly staff that will answer questions for as long as you stick around.

noelekal and Wryfox like this.
  18. Professor Jan 28, 2020

A friend was given a trapdoor Springfield. His elderly neighbor had bought two of these before WW2 for a couple of bucks each. The neighbor gave him one of the rifles in exchange for cleaning up and refinishing the other.
    Far as I know he only fired .410 shot shells through his.

19. Wryfox Jan 28, 2020

Yes! I had heard it was popular in the early 20th century to use a trapdoor as a shotgun too with 410 shells. Many had worn out rifling anyway and were only useful as shotguns. I have read Trapdoors were *extremely* cheap as surplus because technology marched past them so quickly they were almost considered worthless after the military retired them.

I forgot to add above that they gave me a box of old ammo. The box was falling apart and hard to read but it had 9 rounds in it like this one(which is actually the best one, the rest are corroded badly):

Subsequent digging I found out that the headstamp puts them in the 1885-1895 range. Pretty cool.
    Also found out that during the indian wars, tribes were picking up the cases and reloading them, so an order was given to destroy the cases after firing. See gen order below.....
    20200128_095629.jpg 20200128_095635.jpg
    genorder.jpg

Edited Jan 28, 2020
    noelekal and MtnBkr like this.
  20. Professor Jan 28, 2020

I was surprised to learn that the Trapdoor Springfield saw limited use during WW1. Not on the battlefield but for sentry duty on the docks where war materials were being unloaded.