Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 17, 2020

Would love to see that one Wryfox.

As long as we're mentioning great arms museums of the world, the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum at the Vienna Arsenal is first rate. Arms and accoutrements of most of the world's military are on display there.

[​IMG]

I wasn't aware that Archduke Franz Ferdinand's assassination car still existed, assuming it was lost or scrapped sometime during the tumultuous upheavals of two world wars, but it was there on display along with Gavrilo Princip's Model 1910 Browning as well as three more 1910 Brownings issued to conspirators. Photography was proscribed, but we received a special dispensation because our Austrian friend and host was the president of the Museum Association.
    [​IMG]

Much detail of of the manufacture of Austro-Hungarian arms was available for study.
    [​IMG]

A ricochet?
    [​IMG]

https://www.hgm.at/en

An important rival, the Royal Armories Museum at Leeds. Never have transferred the photo albums to computer.
    https://royalarmouries.org/venue/royal-armouries-museum/

2. 03Hemi Jan 17, 2020

Cool, what jet is that behind the fence at the end of the pavers?

3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 17, 2020

It's an example of an Austrian Saab 35 Draken.

03Hemi likes this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 17, 2020

There's a 7.65 bullet hole in the car if one looks closely.
    [​IMG]

Mtek likes this.
  5. Wryfox Jan 17, 2020

This one was a few years ago, the Imperial War Museum...London.
    IMG_0523.JPG IMG_0522.JPG IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0541.JPG IMG_0547.JPG IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0555.JPG

Waltesefalcon, 03Hemi, voere and 2 others like this.
  6. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 17, 2020

Ooo ... Nice photos!

Neato to see the First World War British tank.

We need to visit there sometime while we're over visiting friends.

7. Professor Jan 18, 2020

Got some bad news and will have my work cut out for me for awhile.
    My best friend's house burned down last week.
    After a power outage something arched when the power came back on. He had an oxygen machine of some sort that he uses at night i suspect that where it started since he had cut off all the other electrical heaters and appliances.
    Apparently his gunsafe wasn't as fire resistant as advertised. The oxygen from ruptured tanks turned the place into an inferno in less than a minute.
    He was in the basement preparing an oil heater when he heard his dog running around in the house above him and clawing at the door.
    The inner basement door he keeps locked tight on the inside to prevent burglars from getting in so he ran around to the front of the house and opened the front door just as the flames erupted. The dog is fine.
    As fast as the place burned its a good thing the dog made a ruckus because the floor quickly collapsed into the basement. Had he still been down there he'd probably have been burned alive.

He brought over the guns from the safe. Not sure if any are salvageable. His 1911 had a full magazine and the cartridges exploded peeling the side of the mag body back to protude through the frame. Grips of most of the pistols burned completely away.
    The fire department used the jaws of life to rip open the safe to douse it to prevent the rest of ammo stored in the bottom from blowing up.
    Every bit of wood above the trigger guards of rifles stored butt down in the safe burned away. A couple of pistols in the bottom of the safe survived though water and smoke damaged. The plastic or resin grips of those are intact so its unlikely the heat treatment was compromised.
    I guess the first step after cleaning these up would be to have some one run a hardness test on the steel.
    I'm hoping the exploding ammo and lack of air in the safe prevented the metal from heating up enough to be compromised.

8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 18, 2020

Oh no!

I'd be leery of any firearms that were exposed to the heat of a fire. From an educational standpoint I'd probably subject them to tests to see if they would be operational, firing them remotely. Even if they would work, I'd never feel comfortable using them or passing them on.

Springs and small parts may give troubles.

That's such a shame.

voere likes this.
  9. Mtek Jan 20, 2020

Just picked it up, 2020 Python 6”. I won’t be able to shoot it until next Monday. Initial impressions, trigger is infinitely better than my 1973 Python. It doesn’t stack at all, feels Ike a 686 trigger (a very good thing). Fit and finish is very good, not original Python good, but Colt did a great job with it. Original Colt I frame grips fit, and I’ll def have some vintage ivories installed for bbqs but these factory ones look great. Serrations are not raised, but imbedded, unlike original and they appear to be laminated. Front site is pined with a hidden screw now. More after range time.

I’m happy to have a Python that won’t be a safe queen, that I can use without worry about wear and tear. Now, I just hope Colt releases blued carbon versions and/or a 2.5” barrel.

1E2ED55B-6BA8-4FD4-914B-30431C0F50A6.jpeg

10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 20, 2020

Good for you Mtek!

A pretty pony. Sure would like to hear you review it when you've had a chance to put it through its paces.

Mtek likes this.
  11. Mtek Jan 20, 2020

I will def follow up, may even take the ‘73 out for a side by side comparison. I’m off Sun/Mon so will probably be next Mon. bud.

Waltesefalcon and noelekal like this.
  12. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 20, 2020

I'd love to have one of the 4.25-inch versions of the new Python to go with my 1978 vintage 6-inch Python.

[​IMG]

Would love to read of your side-by-side comparison of your oldie with the new one.

03Hemi, voere and Mtek like this.
  13. Mtek Jan 20, 2020

@noelekal I would have preferred the 4.25 too, but I couldn’t help myself. Something like looking at a fine watch, it’s an emotional thing for me. I got it at msrp and most are going for 2k, so I purchased. If Colt does come out with a 2.5 or 3”, that will be the one for me anyway.

Beautiful Python sir. My cylinder release has completely gone plum on mine. Yours is uniform, what year?

Waltesefalcon, voere and noelekal like this.
  14. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 20, 2020

It's a 1978.

Here's the Python with a 1954 (maybe late 1953) Colt 3 5 7, the Python's predecessor. Intended as the premium .357 Magnum Colt revolver and introduced in 1953, Colt upstaged it with the introduction of the Python in 1955. Bracketed as it was between the Python and the Colt Trooper .357 Magnum, the 3 5 7 was discontinued by 1961.
    [​IMG]
    The 3 5 7 is much rarer than the Python, but hasn't fired the collectors' imaginations. I'm keen on the 3 5 7.

I'm also really keen on this 1957 Colt Officers Model Match, made the same year I was born. It's going plum-y. Apparently that can happen with some older Colts. Some folks like original plum Colts. Some early Rugers from the 1950s exhibit the plum hue and collectors like them.
    [​IMG]

15. MtnBkr Jan 20, 2020

Here is what is tickling my fancy these days. I'm in love with this thing (minus the red dot)!

[​IMG]

noelekal, Wryfox, voere and 1 other person like this.
  16. Mtek Jan 20, 2020

@noelekal Thanks for sharing the info and the pics. I love vintage revolvers, although I only have my 73 Python and the 55 pre-27.

When I picked up this new Colt, they brought out a 95% detective special. Perfect amount of holster wear to look great. I don’t know a lot about them, so I took a pic of the serial. Exposed little ejector rod, not encased. I need to look up the info and go make them an offer.

E89A5F4C-B607-4083-9EE8-A7A1C1E998AC.jpeg

noelekal, kip595 and Wetworks like this.
  17. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 21, 2020

I’m a fan of the detective special great revolvers. Speaking for myself they are perfect in size and ergonomics. Great carry guns a tad bigger than a J frame smaller than a K frame S&W.

Nice pick up with your python. I have a few pythons and as Noelekal mentions the officers model match they can perform and shoot as well as a python.

As far a snub nose revolvers I also like S&W K frames model 19’s and model 66’s hard to beat a 357-good luck on the detective special purchase.

noelekal and Mtek like this.
  18. Wryfox Jan 21, 2020

Did I mention that 15yrs ago I bought an 8" Python Target in 38spl for $280?

Then we moved a couple years later for a better job and I sold it to help expenses...gee wiz, I sold it super easy for what I had in it...$280....::shy::

Edited Jan 21, 2020
    voere, noelekal and Mtek like this.
  19. Waltesefalcon Jan 21, 2020

Mtek, That new Python looks the part, I definitely look forward to hearing your side by side report on it with the original. I can't imagine it actually being better though, but in my opinion the Python is one of the finest shooting revolvers ever produced.

The DS is an excellent choice, one of my carry guns is a 68 DS.

voere, noelekal and Mtek like this.
  20. kip595 Jan 21, 2020

Depending on where you are in the world, if stateside and in 95%, I'd start a low offer at 500 and quickly go to six or higher, depending upon personal inspection of the gun, timing, bluing, etc. The DS is a great member of Colt's 'cop revolvers' group, the Police Positive, the Police Positive Special (which is essentially what the DS is with a cut down barrel), Lawman, Trooper, and my personal favorite, the Official Police.

In the end though, it's hard to top a Python. :D

Mtek likes this.