Forums Latest Members

Snoopy Strap Alternatives (for BB58) - Your Suggestions

1. imagwai Oct 7, 2020

I really like the fabric strap on the new Snoopy Speedy and would like to try and source something similar for my Tudor BB58 Blue (20mm lugs).

I'm not 100% sure I know what this style of fabric is called, though, or where I would source one other than an Omega dealer. I don't particularly want the Omega strap, just a good quality alternative.

So...does anybody know what the official name for this type of strap is called? Or have any good suggestions of where I might find something similar? Deployant or standard clasp - not really bothered.

Thanks in advance

Omega-Speedmaster-Professional-Silver-Snoopy-50th-Anniversary-1-featured.jpg
    tag-heuer-aquaracer-way211b-fc6363-75.jpg

fskywalker likes this.
  2. YY77 Oct 7, 2020

I think combat-straps.com does very nice canvas/denim ones which seem on par quality wise.

3. imagwai Oct 7, 2020

4. imagwai Oct 7, 2020

Also this, but they don't have blue unfortunately, only blue stiching on black:
    https://www.watchgecko.com/sailcloth-watch-strap

So it seems most people describe this style as sailcloth, although that term seems to cover a handful of styles.

YY77 likes this.
  5. Donn Chambers Oct 7, 2020

The Omega straps are made of Cordura, which is a brand name of woven nylon. It's not exactly the same as sailcloth, but does look similar from a distance. A lot of so-called "sailcloth" is probably Cordura.

I was on a similar journey to you a few months ago. I always liked the look of the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms sailcloth strap and wanted something similar on my Seamaster 300. I tried several examples, including those from Barton bands and WatchGecko. But they all had one major problem, IMO.

There is very little padding at the end that attaches to the watch. On a dress watch, this is ok. But it makes the strap look a little anemic on a dive watch (like your BB58). After spending ~$120 on different cheap straps and not getting what I wanted, I finally bought the Dark Side of the Moon Speedmaster strap. Notice how thick it is between the lugs. It almost fills the entire gap and at some angles looks like it is a fitted end. I think this type of strap would look better on your BB58 than the thinner ones you find online.

You might save yourself money just buying the Omega strap you are trying to emulate if you eventually get it. That TAG strap actually looks just as nice and would probably be cheaper.

Good hunting.

IMG_1285.jpg

6. Marsimaxam Oct 7, 2020

yande and imagwai like this.
  7. imagwai Oct 8, 2020

Thanks. It's actually for a BB58 rather than the Snoopy. I've been on their site and had a play with the configurator. I can kind of get the look I'm after, but it's quite expensive, and it's rubber rather than fabric. If it was a bit cheaper I might give it a go.
    strap.jpg

8. imagwai Oct 8, 2020

Thanks for the advice and agree with you about the thickness. Might have to get the Omega strap if it's easily available (presume it is 20mm at the lugs). Going to give the Watchbandit strap a go in the interim - it was only about £30.

9. BradleyJ. Oct 8, 2020

as mention earlier, the strap is made of Cordura. I have the black with white stitch snoopy strap and it is super comfortable. This company makes the strap for Omega https://www.jean-rousseau.com and they have a bespoke section on the website where you can make any color combination of the same strap. I had a black on black one made for a watch I'm giving to my father and while I was at it I had a 2nd made for myself. Not cheap but it was worth the money spent.

fskywalker, pdxleaf and imagwai like this.
  10. imagwai Oct 8, 2020

Cool, thanks for this information. Not cheap but potentially worth the investment - will give this one very serious consideration.

11. BradleyJ. Oct 8, 2020

Not sure where you are located but they have a boutique in NY and thier main location is Paris.

12. imagwai Oct 8, 2020

UK so probably constrained to web browsing

13. abrod520 Oct 8, 2020

C - I 100% recommend Jean Rousseau. It's expensive but worth every single penny. And they do ship, so no visit required.

(Though the NYC atelier is an absolute candy store - they will drain your wallet if you do go!)

imagwai likes this.
  14. BradleyJ. Oct 8, 2020

100%

No break in required for the condura and calf straps.

My question is why find an alternative when you can get the exact strap you want? If its price then I get it but I searched for low cost sail cloth ones and I was disappointed at each strap I received.

15. abrod520 Oct 8, 2020

Yep, they look almost similar but aren't nearly worth wearing.

Another cheap option is BluShark, https://www.blusharkstraps.com/collections/cordura-watch-bands

They have quick-release spring bars too. Very stiff but it'll get you close to the look maybe

16. imagwai Oct 8, 2020

Mmm, they're OK, but not quite what I'm after. Jean Rousseau looking tempting at the moment. Thanks all.

fskywalker likes this.
  17. abrod520 Oct 8, 2020

Do it!

Not for nothing, you can also have them customize your strap - get your money's worth! My third strap from them should be ready in a couple weeks.

18. imagwai Oct 8, 2020

Not sure what I would change from the standard offering to be honest. Medium size is spot on too. Maybe a deployant clasp instead of the buckle? Their custom strap form is a little bit complex!
    WhatsApp-Image-2020-03-19-at-16.57.33.jpeg

19. BradleyJ. Oct 8, 2020

both my bespoke strap from them were made for an omega clasp. it was easy because they know the omega clasp dimensions. not a fan of buckle and tang anyway

20. imagwai Oct 8, 2020

Yes, but I really don't want an Omega clasp on a Tudor, and the Tudor deployant is rubbish, so would have to look at their own one or alternatives I guess.