Forums Latest Members

SMPc 300M accuracy/warranty question.

1. Steve Essex May 5, 2020

I have a SMPc 300M diver that I bought new in 2018. The warranty card is dated 06/2018. When I first got it it was running 1-2 seconds fast per day which wasn't a problem as I could just pull the crown out for a second or two, push it back in and job done. Lately though, it’s running approximately 14-15 seconds per day slow. I’m sure that must be outside the accuracy limits.

A couple of questions: what should the accuracy be on this watch, I know they have a 5 year guarantee these days but how long was the warranty for 2018 Seamasters and if this is a fault, how would I go about getting it looked at being as all the dealers/boutiques are closed due to lockdown?

2. Gui13250 May 6, 2020

Even without talking about normal accuracy range, 15s slow per day is definitely out of the range for a COsC watch.
    5 years warranty cover all watch bought brand new since the 1 July 2018.
    Not a big deal if the watch is still under warranty, just wait few more weeks that your AD open and ask them to check it.
    If not under warranty anymore, you’ll maybe have to go to either an indépendant or your AD

Steve Essex likes this.
  3. Donn Chambers May 6, 2020

You purchased yours just before the 5-year across the board warranty went into effect, so it will have a 3-year warranty. You’re still in the period, though, so that’s good.

Have you given it a full wind recently, or are you just relying on the auto-winding? depending on your activity recently, you might not be getting the full wind from the auto-mechanism. Give it a full wind, reset it, then check the timing. If it’s gone back to near normal (or at least within COSC specs) then that was the problem. It it still stays slow, then I would send it in for service under warranty.

Cheers,
    Don

Steve Essex likes this.
  4. scapa May 6, 2020

Yeah dropping from +1/2 to -15s per day seems off. I've had mine for 2 years and it's been either at or very near +1s per day pretty much throughout that period, incredibly accurate and stable. Yours is still under warranty, so definitely worth a checkup once available in your area, IMO.

Steve Essex likes this.
  5. Steve Essex May 6, 2020

Thanks all. I've just this minute given it a full wind and set it by the Watchville app. Will check it again this time tomorrow.
    Just to update you, a few days ago I completed a contact form on the Omega website and today I received this reply. At least if lockdown goes on past June when my warranty expires, I’ve registered my fault. [​IMG]

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your email and I hope you are well?

You can send your OMEGA watch direct to our
    service centre for examination. If you would like me to arrange pre-paid
    fully insured packaging for you, please provide the address you would like this
    sent to along with a convenient daytime contact number.

Please be aware that as our offices are currently closed due to Covid-19, this will not be despatched until we have reopened.

Kind Regards

James Gilbert

Customer Service Advisor

The Swatch Group (UK) Limited

6. scapa May 6, 2020

All seems well -- IME Omega are very good about honouring warranty claims, and I have no doubt that you'll be afforded a "covid extension" if you're not able to send it in before the nominal expiration date in June. FWIW, I've had to send another Swiss piece in for repair and they were reopening as of April 27th to accept returns. Good luck!

Steve Essex likes this.
  7. Steve Essex May 7, 2020

Well, I gave it a full wind at this time last night and I’ve worn it all day. Using the Watchville app, it has lost EXACTLY 10 seconds in the past 24 hours so an improvement of sorts. One other thing with this watch is that it’s extremely hard to turn the bezel and it has been from new - nothing like the Tag watch I had which was smooth to turn. As I don’t expect to ever use it for diving I’ve never really bothered with it but if it’s got to go back, I’ll ask them to look at that too. Would you say a loss of 10 seconds per day would be outside the limits and worthy of sending for repair under warranty.

Edited May 7, 2020
  8. jeelan May 7, 2020

COSC spesc for your watch are -2, +6 so if its outside this you can certainly request the watch be brought back into specs. If anything i prefer a watch that’s a bit faster rather than slower so i’d definitely be sending it in to get it checked. Is this one of the newer SMPc withe clear case back and 8800 movement or the older model?

Thanks
    Jeelan

Steve Essex likes this.
  9. Steve Essex May 8, 2020

Thanks. No, it’s one of the older models - one of the last ones before the current models and it has the 2500 movement.
    Edit, just checked it again and it’s lost 8 seconds since 6.45 last night. Definitely something wrong.

Edited May 8, 2020
    jeelan likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 8, 2020

Some clarification...

COSC specs for average daily rate are -4 to +6, however Omega doesn't use these specs.

For the COSC only certified movements that Omega has, the spec for average daily rate is -1 to +6, so tighter than COSC specs.

These are measured over 5 positions (crown right is omitted).

Cheers, Al

Steve Essex likes this.
  11. Donn Chambers May 8, 2020

And just because you bought it in 2018 doesn’t mean it wasn’t sitting in the shop for several years before that, meaning it could be in need of a service just from the oils drying. It does sound like you should send it in for evaluation under your warranty.

scapa and Steve Essex like this.
  12. Steve Essex May 18, 2020

Well, it had settled down to a 'regular' -10s per day. Having contacted Omega, a postage paid, insured, padded package arrived today. I completed the form and included my warranty card. I stated that it was losing between 10 and 16 seconds per day and I’ve always had great trouble turning the bezel but as I’m not a diver it didn’t bother me too much but as it was going back, I mentioned it on the form. I removed the strap and found that the bezel turned as smooth as silk. I then realised that by grasping the bezel at 6 and 12 o’clock and lifting slightly it turned smoothly. Oops! Been doing it wrong since I’ve had it, trying to turn it by holding it at 9 and 3 and pinching the case!

13. Steve Essex Jun 6, 2020

Progressing slowly! Contacted them on 6th, packing received and sent off on the 18th, arrived on the 19th, acknowledged on the 28th, started the diagnosis on the 2nd....and that’s it so far. I suppose they must have a huge backlog with all that’s happening though.

Gui13250 likes this.
  14. Steve Essex Jun 17, 2020

Update: Just had an email, all done. :D

Full service carried out under warranty (phew, just a month to go too! ) with a 24 month warranty on the service. Just waiting for it to be sent back to me.

Quality Check Result
    - Your watch movement has undergone a full service to return it to full working order

One thing though, I thought my watch was in reasonable condition but I think they must look at it under a microscope as I got this in the report:

Conditions received
    - The watch is severely damaged
    - The crystal is scratched
    - The bezel is scratched
    - The case is scratched
    - The case back is marked

I can’t remember that sort of damage on it, sounds like it’s been kicked around the room a few times. Maybe my definition of reasonable condition is different to Omega's? I’ll have to have a proper look at it when I get it back. :whistling:

Now that it’s been taken apart, does anybody know whether they carry out a waterproof check on it?

15. Bimmerman77 Jun 17, 2020

Yes they conduct a water pressure test. The results will be on the card. I also sent a 1 month old new smp in for warranty repair and they listed the same damage as yours lol

Steve Essex likes this.
  16. Donn Chambers Jun 17, 2020

I suspect a lot of those notes are to cover their butts if you complain of a new scratch when you get the watch back — they are simply noting the watch has scratches on the case, bezel, and crystal so you can’t say later it was “perfect” and they damaged it.

Really, those notes on scratches are not surprising considering it’s been worn for several years, although “severely damaged” is a little much, IMO.

Steve Essex and Bimmerman77 like this.
  17. Bimmerman77 Jun 17, 2020

Your absolutely right. I called them when I saw the notes and they stated it’s standard practice. CYA

Steve Essex likes this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 17, 2020

This is why, no matter who you send your watches to, you should photograph them from all angles before you send them off.

Cheers, Al

ama98, Steve Essex and Bimmerman77 like this.
  19. Bimmerman77 Jun 17, 2020

Lol you read my mind Archer bc I always do that. Learned my lesson years ago when my Sub came back from RSC NY with newly acquired scratches

Steve Essex likes this.
  20. Steve Essex Jun 17, 2020

Thanks all, you’ve put my mind at rest regarding the condition. :thumbsup: