SMDV lume question

Hi all
Lately acquired this 14k gold capped Seamaster with an unusual dial that I already shared in @PlainVanilla thread “Omega Seamaster - A guide to special dials”.

So my question is why hour and minute hands glow briefly in darkness when the dial has been previously exposed to normal room light. Notice that there were not T beside SWISS MADE wordings in my dial.

Is it a red flag concerning dial authenticity ?

Pease enlighten me. Thank you in advance

What’s the question? Why do you hands glow briefly but your dial doesn’t?

Because the lume has been removed from the ends of the indices but remains on the hands.

If you wonder why there is no T on your dial,
1. Your dial was produced early in the days Omega did not use T yet.
2. Your dial was refinished wrongly.

Watch is now in watchmaker shop for servicing. So I took advantage of his work to take pics.
My 563 cal serial number is 25m range. So it is consistent with rounded S in Seamster. But no T wordings while hands glow briefly, no lume on index tip … all this can only point to a wrongly redialed watch face.

As always OF is source of knowledge. Thank you

However, your watch was destined for the US market via Norman Morris ( which we probably could have guessed given the special dial).

I dont have a Scoobies when it comes to the correctness of SMDV dials but could it be a correct US-destined dial without Ts?

Seamaster officianados will be able to tell you.

But better pics of the dial are required.

However, your watch was destined for the US market via Norman Morris ( which we probably could have guessed given the special dial).

I dont have a Scoobies when it comes to the correctness of SMDV dials but could it be a correct US-destined dial without Ts?

Seamaster officianados will be able to tell you.

But better pics of the dial are required.

Hi @Peemacgee
I see your point. Below are some dial photos (dial under crystal)

Seems like a Norman Morris special-order variant to me. The workmanship on the dial is solid, typeface looks correct, and the value of the watch is nowhere near high enough for someone to put this much effort into creating what would be a completely unknown dial variant.

Thank you @All
At this stage, it is safe to say about the dial
- scripts/font type consistent with an SMDV destined to US market
- 563 cal,
- ‘unusual’ dial design,
- no Ts while hands glow,
- … did I forget something?

Will try to take in pic the naked dial and must be quick before the watchmaker assembles my SMDV.
OF is always a good knowledgeable source 😀
Cheers

Just relax, it's 100x harder for that dial to be non-original than original - don't go down rabbit holes, enjoy your watch - there are so many one of a kind Omega watches too, but I suspect you'll see more of yours - SMDV's were one of Omega's most experimented models, peak 60's creativity, and maybe the last of that creativity as Quartz ruined things

You sound like a paranoid schizo looking for causes to support an unlikely bad scenario

Most deluxe dials don't have minute ticks, also special dials/watches like yours don't need to adhere to any rules

Just look at some C-Case's if you want to see no T's paired with lumed dials that don't have a clear pattern

It's certainly possible that the hands were replaced at some point, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the dial.

The indices has lume nudges that seem to have been cleaned, hands looked original to me

Hi all
To be honest I fell in live with this SMDV dial design long ago so I was ready to embrace its nice and weird attire 😀
The point is here in Vietnam there was another special dial SMDV in 18k solid gold that was floating a year ago (possibly from the same seller from whom I bought this 14k gold capped).

And I am lurking… “another SMDV special dial design”?!? 😗

PS: the watchmaker while regulating my caliber send me this pic below

And no minute tick marks.

Hi @hoipolloi
Respectful objection 😉
There are at least 3 examples of this dial design floating in vintage watch world - including mine 😀

1- @qazwsx1 one’s

2- 18k solid gold one spotted a year ago in VN Website ads, advertized for 1,800usd back in Nov 2022 without shipping and handling costs

(Seller lately said the piece has been sold out
::facepalm1:: )

3- mine (gold capped 14k)

So…
To me it is unlikely someone would “reproduce” this special dial design. The unusual watch face denotes probably a Norman Morris imports destined to US market… Unless the contrary is proven 😉

PS: Btw I miss the ‘reliable’ Extract Of The Archives service!