Forums Latest Members

Should I purchase the Midsize Diver 300M?

1. Canoeist Sep 25, 2019

Hello all, this is my first post here.

I am getting ready to purchase the black Midsize Diver 300M 36.25mm, Ref. 212.30.36.20.01.002. I've got a couple questions.

First, is there any reason not to purchase direct from the Omega website? I've owned several nice watches and even tried on a Seamaster midsize at Kirk Freeport in the Cayman Islands. I've owned a Rolex Sub No-Date, Explorer (36mm case), and a Seamaster Reference 2254. Unfortunately I had to sell those watches for financial reasons a few years ago.

I've achieved financial stability again and my wife has got me thinking about watches - she keeps asking "when are you getting another watch?" (I insisted that she keep her Rolex oyster perpetual when I was selling my watches.)

I loved the 36mm case of the Explorer, but I want another dive watch and think the Seamaster midsize is perfect for me. I loved the 2254 but always felt it was a little big on my 6.25 wrist. So I feel confident about the look and size of the Seamaster midsize.

Secondly, do you think Omega will produce a new midsize Diver 300M? I don't see a current midsize iteration of the 2018 Seamaster. Wondering if I might wait a bit for a newer midsize Diver 300M.

Tell me what you think!

Thanks

2. Undefeatable Sep 25, 2019

First, is there any reason not to purchase direct from the Omega website?
    Yea, you'll be paying the full price of $4,400 which is way more than you should be paying for this watch. You can buy it new for MUCH less anywhere else. If you want it direct from Omega, just find a Omega AD or Boutique and you can easily negotiate quite a bit off.

Secondly, do you think Omega will produce a new midsize Diver 300M?
    No one knows except for Omega, but I would assume so just based on this history of them making midsized divers? Than again I wouldn't be surprised if they did not for this generation.

3. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 25, 2019

I am not a fan of the 36mm SMP, I like 36mm watches in general but on those the bezel robs so much dial real estate that you end up with stumpy hands and a tiny dial area. I have owned both the mid and full size models and much prefer the 41mm full size, which looks great and wears well even on a more slender wrist. As noted above, if you do go mid then avoid a dealer since otherwise you will get a nasty shock at resale, those seem to be only worth about 2/3 of the full size in the secondary market, but cost nearly as much when new.

Edited Sep 25, 2019
  4. Canoeist Sep 25, 2019

Undefeatable and padders, thanks for your thoughts. I'm leaning towards finding an AD with this watch so I can try it on again first and then negotitate.

Cheers!

5. journeyforce Sep 26, 2019

Don't discount the possibility of a Seamaster AT. It is a bit bigger but wears very well. I had a 36mm Seamaster and the bezel made the watch look smaller then a Explorer because bezel takes up most of the real estate.

6. Canoeist Sep 26, 2019

I do admire the silver dial 38mm AT. Looks good on a rubber strap.

7. jud Sep 26, 2019

I have owned both, I still own the full size. I would recommend the AT over the smaller Diver 300M. I agree with the earlier replies that after a while the dial on the mid-size 300 just seemed too small, the proportions looked off to me.

Another option might be the PO 39mm. I have tried it on and enjoyed it as well.

8. mjb Sep 26, 2019

Watches are just getting bigger and bigger, which makes it a challenge for us wrist-impaired men. For the amount of money that you are about to spend, yes, definitely, try one on first! Take your time, they're not going anywhere.

And buying direct from Omega is surely simpler and no worries about fakes and warranties, but you should be able to snag a discount at any boutique without a battle. Better yet, if you are so inclined, consider used, especially (as mentioned) since these mid-sized models don't hold their value as well.

I think my first Omega was a mid-sized SM, which worked great for me for many years. But it was quartz, and I've become an automatic fan, and now with the styles getting large, I'm wearing a 42mm which is a bit much for me, but a 36 just looks too tiny any more.

9. Canoeist Sep 26, 2019

I appreciate the great suggestions. Really got me thinking. I do like the 38mm AT a lot. It has a very smart look. Sporty and elegant. I think I'd probably love it as a second watch.

I spend a lot of time outside and think I want the robustness of a diver. No joke, I've been on wilderness trips every weekend since late July. Live in Colorado. Backpacking with my kids, backpack fly fishing, backpack elk hunting with a friend, and a couple river trips. We came off the Green River in Utah Sunday night after four days canoeing Labyrinth Canyon. Very wet, sandy and windy. Swam in the river and camped on sandbars. Looked at the Milky Way every night. I'm a guy to wear my watch everywhere. I love glancing at a luminova dial on my wrist when the wind wakes me during the night.

I've been making-do with my G-Shock and am ready for an upgrade. I want another nice adventure watch, something with good presence that will not be cumbersome on the wrist. Oh, and I'm actually going on a dive trip in October.

I do wish a 37.5mm PO could still be had new. A 39 PO might be good. Maybe the 300M midsize will do. I'm gonna have to try them on.

RMCC Green River Trip 5.jpg
    robinhook likes this.
  10. Canoeist Sep 26, 2019

Oh, probably worth mentioning that I only want to use cash on the purchase. I can swing anything south of $5,000. So that probably rules out a Planet Ocean unless I go used.

11. journeyforce Sep 26, 2019

I think the AT will work for you. The watch is rated at 150m and has a screw down crown. The AT series are great watches. The teak dial looks like boat decks.

As for adventure watches. How about the Casio G-Shock Rangeman GPS. This is the only watch you will need in the wild. It has GPS, a function that leads you back (if you get lost), compass, Barometer, Altimeter, Alarms, Moon and tide info, sun rise and sunset and is solar. As big as this thing is, it actually looks and feels good on my small wrist

20190921_134057.jpg
  12. fskywalker Sep 26, 2019

If you want a ceramic SMPc the 212.30.36.20.01.002 is the way to go. I had it and it is a nice watch (pictures below on steel and on an OEM Barernia leather band). Don't buy it new, buy a pre-loved one for a lot less!! You can probably pick one used for less than $2000

344a8bcdfb43bf0eec0d717652b1904b.jpg Omega SMPC 36mm black.jpeg

robinhook, Tony, Eve and 1 other person like this.
  13. Canoeist Sep 26, 2019

Journey, great-looking G-Shock. Had no idea you could get one with a GPS function! I'm wearing my G-Shock 5600 right now.

fskywalker, the Omega is beautiful. I think it's well-proportioned on you.

I called around and found an AD about 5 hours away that has the black dial midsize 300M and a good selection of other Omegas. They agreed to a significant discount if I make the trip. I'm heading up there this weekend. I'm going to try some watches on and see what feels good. If all goes well I'll post a pic early next week.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I probably would have ordered direct from Omega at a significant loss if we hadn't talked...

14. Sassi Oct 1, 2019

I got my new SMPc 36.25mm in black today. I much prefer it to the 41mm. :)

4.jpg

3.jpg

robinhook and Eve like this.
  15. Canoeist Oct 1, 2019

Sassi that looks perfect!

My deal with the AD fell through - turns out they actually didn't have the correct reference number. I'm working with another AD to get the midsize. Should be able to try it on in a few days. I'm so optimistic that I ordered a few NATOs to go with the watch.

Sassi likes this.
  16. Sassi Oct 2, 2019

Thank you Canoeist. I hope you get one too.

17. Canoeist Oct 2, 2019

I got the midsize with black dial. I’m pleased with the size. I think it will be unobtrusive during outdoor activities and very robust. Taking it skin diving and scuba diving in the Cayman Islands later this month. Thank you all for your respectful opinions and input!

68679958-F78A-42EB-BF53-138FD2D8E8FA.jpeg