Forums Latest Members

Shopping under the influence

1. JwRosenthal Mar 7, 2021

So I am not ashamed to say I am an insomniac (should explain some of my very odd hours for posting). I have been for years, an over active brain, a bit of neurosis, and an injury that causes chronic pain (have been in PT for the last 17 months following back surgery) has made it difficult to sleep. I have been taking ambien for the last 6 years and I do enjoy my evening beverages- but never to excess.
    Well, as many know the combination of substances like that can lower inhibitions and facilitate poor judgment- luckily my behavior is never harmful and I never leave the house.
    The effects of ambien in particular are pretty amazing as it’s not a narcotic, but rather works on the sleep center of the brain and puts you into an almost hypnotic and suggestive state. It is commonly “abused” for recreational use as it completely puts your conscious mind to sleep and if you force yourself to stay awake, your unconscious mind takes over- hence all the odd behavior many have read about in the media. You have a 15 minute window between taking it and needing to get to bed- I tend to sit for a few minutes scrolling on my phone waiting to feel the effects (big mistake)- of course reading OF or surfing eBay. If I allow myself to lose track of that 15 minutes, all bets are off.

Most recently:

Why did I need another case and dial- I have too many Seawolfs as it is...parts, parts, more useless parts.
    ADA12862-AE50-4404-B977-DE6860D4DCA3.jpeg

Nice little diver....another diver. Loose canon wheel so at watchmaker (seller pic)
    CCA80D8B-DA1D-43DA-96E6-510212AFADA3.jpeg

Apparently I played let’s make a deal with the seller on this one (I don’t remember that part- I do remember looking at it)- back and forth with the offers- at least I didn’t strike up a conversation- I may have told him I loved him
    015BD8C9-02A6-47AB-A027-15954ECA6756.jpeg

I don’t even remember buying this one- it was in my purchased items the next morning.
    A2726EFD-12C5-42F3-AF1E-6AFE191BA4B8.jpeg

This one I did have a conversation with the seller- I reread it after- nice guy, apparently I may be going on vacation with him soon
    55B1A8B6-5125-4F5A-9D0B-AB86BE4D7EB0.jpeg
    Another Mido, why?
    2AF06F26-D7B5-43C7-A1A3-B06C51D4F57D.jpeg
    I remember liking it and saving it, I wanted the bracelet...then apparent I bought it.
    94029E0F-1A18-4D96-BADE-FAF2D85371FA.jpeg
    So apparently the collector part of my brain is alive and well under the influence- this is a first gen Oceanographer- I normally would say I don’t need another one- but apparently my compromised brain was really excited about it. Currently at watchmakers- should look like new when I’m done.
    BAC5542D-C74E-418D-A95B-600DC0AFDD8D.jpeg
    @8926ob mentioned he had a similar experience when a strap showed up in the mail...apparently I am not the only one who does late night compromised shopping.

Anyone else care to share?

Edited Mar 7, 2021
    NYCwatchgal, Eve, Mediocre and 26 others like this.
  2. Walrus Mar 7, 2021

Seems like both your id and your ego have good taste in watches.

kylepchiang, NGO1, Caliber561 and 8 others like this.
  3. timoss Mar 7, 2021

Interesting that your id seems well aware of—and very respectful of— your ego’s budget.

I have have plenty of similar experiences, unfortunately without the excuse of being under the influence. I think you should try mixing in some other substances and see what kind of watches arrive.

4. JwRosenthal Mar 7, 2021

Apparently my unconscious mind is impulsive, but clearly not stupid.

5. redpcar Mar 7, 2021

Drop me a line after your next dose and I'll send you some pics and prices ;)

Joe_A, Kmart, MRC and 12 others like this.
  6. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Mar 7, 2021

Yeah, you could have been shopping mail order brides

Wryfox, iamvr, ConElPueblo and 3 others like this.
  7. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Mar 7, 2021

Hey JW. You can use those skin divers on that Florida Swamp land I sold you last month!

Kmart, amcclell, abrod520 and 8 others like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 7, 2021

That sure is a nice Hamilton... I mean Vantage you have... I’m sure I’d have done the same if the price was right and assuming I could get the lume removed and redone....

Hmm what’s it’s size and are you selling?

(1drink in)

Also that’s actually a really cool Mido. The Roman numerals work on a dial that if described to me I would assume was ass.

JwRosenthal and wagudc like this.
  9. lindo Mar 7, 2021

Oh boy, does your post ring a bell......

I am normally very careful not to buy in haste and repent at leisure, but last year I ignored all my own rules and jumped at this very late night new addition to my favourite Japanese dealer's list. At least the next morning I could face the consequences, as he let it go way cheaper than the same model on Chrono24 (that is not so unusual, but 30% less than the nearest equivalent was appealing).

And when it arrived I loved it.

IMG_0817.JPG

10. JwRosenthal Mar 7, 2021

Why remove the lume?

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 7, 2021

Hand mismatch, looks over applied. I’d do a nice tan luminova on both. Make it kinda like a vintage khaki.

12. JwRosenthal Mar 7, 2021

Nope- not relumed- this is how they came. I have several divers that have the green dials and yellow hands

a web grab for reference:

1E5A57B1-D374-4830-A748-BEEABF7B46BF.jpeg

Benbradstock and wagudc like this.
  13. wagudc Mar 7, 2021

Lume looks correct to me. I have looked at many examples of these, and they normally have this mismatch in the same fashion. I never have bought one though. Maybe I need to take up drinking again.
    :thumbsdown:

14. JwRosenthal Mar 7, 2021

On the Vantage, I have only ever seen this dial/hand combo in a bezeled diver- this one was an oddity being in a standard case. When I got it I thought it was a Franken (what did I buy??? Ugh!), but upon taking it apart, the movement ring is a perfect fit to the case, the case is TK&co just as the bezeled version is- it appears to be all original (the crystal replacement aside). I was pleasantly surprised. As I said, if I had been conscious, I wouldn’t have bought it due to too many red flags...maybe my ID is smarter than my ego...hmmm

Duracuir1, Benbradstock and Foo2rama like this.
  15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 7, 2021

16. Benbradstock Mar 7, 2021

This is my favorite OF post in a long time. Thanks for your forthcomingness and humor.

wagudc, Duracuir1, Spruce and 2 others like this.
  17. Observer I know nothing! Mar 7, 2021

Now I feel like getting loaded, staying up late, and hitting up eBay tonight. It’s about time you edited that custom title to something like Official OF Enabler.

18. thelinendial Mar 7, 2021

@JwRosenthal can certainly appreciate your post.

Similarly I tend to be a night owl... though I’ve done lots to try to change this I’ve read and tend to believe it’s DNA... apparently some of us are designed to be up late to protected the tribe.

I too am sometimes surprised and impressed by what I’ve posted, coded or purchased too :) when I push staying up late too much.

These last few years though have been more on the side of fun, because it’s been all about learning and hunting for watches.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  19. Mr.Bliss Mar 7, 2021

Great story, keep us updated, haha :)

JwRosenthal likes this.
  20. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Mar 8, 2021

“My name is Robert and I search eBay in the middle of the night”

Sad after learning that my dog-walking Certina automatic is too poorly to repair easily I looked for another automatic - like I need another ::facepalm2::

This Friday, an hour in and I’ve had my impulse fix and bought another Seiko - I really didn’t need it

upload_2021-3-8_7-17-41.jpeg