Service center reshaped the lugs

I feel sorry that my first post on the forum is a complaint about the Omega service. Omega is my favorite brand among my collection so it's sad to me this happened, and I'm baffled how it happened.

I purchased a brand new Aqua Terra 38mm and found a dust under the crystal, so I took it to an AD in January. They sent it to Omega service center in New Jersey for warranty service. Even though it's just warranty service, I mentioned I don't want polish. I got the watch back yesterday and found that the lugs are all scratched (which I don't mind) and the lug tips are rounded. The bottom sides of lugs now have a huge flat surface, almost like someone grabbed the case and sanded the bottom flat. When the watch was sent in, it's only a month old and in almost like new condition.

The AD doesn't know what happened, and I don't blame them. It can only happen in the service center. I'm writing an email to Omega now, but it baffles me how it could happen. The rest of the watch is not polished so I don't know why only the lugs are touched. I just can't think of a logical explanation.

This is what my lugs (all four) look like now. The bottom surface (chamfer?) is way too huge compared to the new one. It even touches the letter "l".
46D58F2F-6D69-412A-AA9F-3216B36621FF.jpeg

And this is how new lugs should look like: 75DEED27-064E-49EA-B620-4B9F3FB7FC69.jpeg

Could I see a photo of the underside of the entire watch (all four lugs) please?

I don’t see it.

your comparing vs a 3d render.

I don’t see it.

Thusly why I requested a full photo of the caseback of the watch.

I don’t see it.

I thought about that too so I searched on chrono24 and all the chamfers are smaller, like the stock photos.

I'll take better photos and upload them later.

I hope this pic shows it better.
XT5F0210.jpg

Compared to a new one found on chrono24:
Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 7.40.27 PM.png

I also compared it to a 41mm AT the AD has in store and the sales agreed that my chamfers look way too large, but they don't have 38mm in store to compare.

Also, if you look closely, all lug tips (inner side) are rounded, except the one on the bottom right (the lug without any engraving). Plus all the scratches they made.
Edited:

I don’t see who the service center changed the case in that way.

there are multiple dyes for the making of thier watches and that is nowhere near the largest variance I’ve see.

I don’t see who the service center changed the case in that way.

there are multiple dyes for the making of thier watches and that is nowhere near the largest variance I’ve see.

I feel it's a bit difficult to believe that. We're talking about 2~3mm of difference, for fine watchmaking, I'd assume even a tenth of that is too much for tolerance.

Now, exactly why do you think Omega would find it necessary to make such a drastic change to a watch case, when the watch was sent in for a minor procedure?

Now, exactly why do you think Omega would find it necessary to make such a drastic change to a watch case, when the watch was sent in for a minor procedure?
I don't know. As I said in the post both me and the AD are baffled at how it happened.

My understanding is they won't change the case shape. If the watch comes in and needs refinishing, they will only light polish it without doing anything too deep. My watch was in like new condition and it doesn't look like they polished it.

0A2E15C3-6098-4E50-80AF-63B2F1BFDA0E.jpeg

You don’t see much of the lug in the sample photo, but the end of the lug on this watch looks like the lug on yours!

Do you have a "before" photo of your own watch?

0A2E15C3-6098-4E50-80AF-63B2F1BFDA0E.jpeg

You don’t see much of the lug in the sample photo, but the end of the lug on this watch looks like the lug on yours!
The chamfer area on mine can cover the inside of Greek Omega symbol (the globe engraving), this one is not that close.

Be done with it. Write Omega a letter and send the watch back. Obviously, nothing we can say or do will convince you!

Apology if my post sounds like I'm demanding some answer or holding someone responsible. I'm communicating with Omega now to try to get to the bottom of it. I just thought maybe the collective intelligence here may know what's going on here 😀

I don't. A lesson learned today.

I think it's hard to know if every watch is like the photos you posted. As others have mentioned, I have to admit it seems unlikely that the service center refinished just that part of the case in that way. There may be more variability in the model than you realize, or perhaps there were various batches of watches made with slightly different features. Hopefully, you will get a response from Omega that clarifies things, but I suspect they will probably just brush you off.

The watch was sent in for attention to a minor detail. To modify the lugs as you assert that they have done would be a major job! Rather than to make a mole hill into a mountain by performing a major modification, they’da just replaced the case if they wanted to hide something. Be sure to let us know what Omega tells you when you send the watch back!

The Aqua Terra is made in 38 mm size as well as 41 mm size. The difference in the lugs could be attributable to differences between the cases on the two sizes!

I hope this pic shows it better.
XT5F0210.jpg

Compared to a new one found on chrono24:
Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 7.40.27 PM.png

I also compared it to a 41mm AT the AD has in store and the sales agreed that my chamfers look way too large, but they don't have 38mm in store to compare.

Also, if you look closely, all lug tips (inner side) are rounded, except the one on the bottom right (the lug without any engraving). Plus all the scratches they made.

Those edges are not only identical to one another to my eyes, without seeing the watch in the flesh and going off your photo, but I would argue that they are consistent with a 38mm case AT.

Fair to say/admit OP, the scratched to shit lugs are your doing from strap changes with the (possibly) incorrect tools or are you also claiming Omega did that as well?

Those edges are not only identical to one another to my eyes, without seeing the watch in the flesh and going off your photo, but I would argue that they are consistent with a 38mm case AT.

Fair to say/admit OP, the scratched to shit lugs are your doing from strap changes with the (possibly) incorrect tools or are you also claiming Omega did that as well?
I never changed the bracelets on this AT. I had some scratches on my speedy and SMPC of my own doing and I own them. So yes, if this watch has only been to NJ service center, they did that.