Forums Latest Members

Seiko True Pogue has the right stuff to BLAST off

1. Dan S Feb 1, 2020

Wow, this thread has taken an ugly turn, with people's quotes being manipulated and taken out of context, and other people being personally attacked. One has to wonder what is going on here. My specific quote was:

"The 6139-600x references have historical interest, but the style does not appeal to everyone, and they are perhaps too common."

One particular variant is obviously less common than the full gamut of variations, and prices can be higher for a particular variant. I understand that. But the fact that the 6139-600x references are incredibly common as a whole will probably put a damper on values. Just my opinion, which I am allowed to express. Everyone here is just blowing smoke, and obviously we are talking about relatively low values for a vintage chronograph, even if they have reached $2k.

Edited Feb 1, 2020
    janice&fred likes this.
  2. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 1, 2020

This topic needs some NASA photos
    Pogue_moonwatchuniverse.jpg
    William Pogue during Skylab training wearing the Seiko underneath the spacesuit ( remember that topic :D )
    Pogue_moonwatchuniverse2.jpg
    January 1974, Skylab-4 pilot Bill Pogue at work in the space station... wearing two wristwatches to time events. (NASA)

3. Dan S Feb 1, 2020

OK, thanks for this clarification. Still, if you can provide some links to sales, I think it would be helpful. With most references, even though many sales are between collectors, one can generally find a few eBay, auction, or forum sales as examples.

4. smitty190373 Feb 1, 2020

I'm not sure how anything I've said is ugly. ??

Seems a bit pointless talking about all 6139 600x when the thread is in regard to 1 certain reference only.

5. Flatfoot Feb 1, 2020

Yeah, this thread needs pictures. I’m very fond of the early 6139’s and Pogues in particular. I’m a fan for sure.
    Personally, I’d like to think that the Pogues -however defined- can continue to be an achievable gateway for others to become interested in vintage watches.

I scooped this rather honest example off eBay about 3-4 years ago now. Aside from a later tapered bracelet I added- it’s not been messed with. They’re still out there....

97D6634A-4EDE-42F1-9E04-EDB8D8B5D6B4.jpeg 82525FDB-0745-44C2-A969-3565414E1ED9.jpeg

YYTIN, omegaswisst, bardamu and 5 others like this.
  6. smitty190373 Feb 1, 2020

Lovely :thumbsup:

7. Dan S Feb 1, 2020

With very few exceptions, various sub-references will be somewhat coupled in their pricing since most buyers see them as viable alternatives. Perhaps a particular sub-reference will sell somewhat higher than others because of rarity or a historical connection. But if there are other very similar sub-references that are widely available, that has the potential to put a cap on the value of the more desirable sub-references. The values rise and fall together.

Again, you might want to take a look at the style of your posts ... they have an obnoxious tone. You purposely provided a partial quote of my post previously, in a deliberate effort to distort the point I was making. Now, you say my comments are "pointless". This is my speculative opinion about how things may go in the future, and I think it's just as good as yours, since I have a reasonable amount of experience with vintage watch values.

FREDMAYCOIN, Sherbie and ConElPueblo like this.
  8. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Feb 1, 2020

My "not so true" Pogue says hi;)
    [​IMG]

bardamu, CPRwatch, Flatfoot and 2 others like this.
  9. smitty190373 Feb 1, 2020

Seeing as the thread was started specifically about 1 reference with certain characteristics, those are the only 6139 I thought worth talking about.

I apologise if you see this as obnoxious.... if anyone has links or threads showing recent sales at the lower values mentioned I would be genuinely interested to see them. I'm happy to stand corrected if you guys can regularly find these at those prices.... i've looked on and off for them over the last few years and have only seen 2 sell in the UK, in as many years. You guys obviously may see a lot more in the US as they were sold in the US market.

I'd be happy to buy one if they are available.. i've owned a few 6139 6xxxs but never what i regard as a true one.

All the best.

janice&fred likes this.
  10. Walrus Feb 1, 2020

Well a little drama popped up but I think it is bound to happen when our communication lacks physiognomy but I’ve always eyed this particular watch and saw it’s value all over the place but never realized the history behind it or even how it acquired its name. I just liked it for the color and layout of its dial. Is there a story why this astronaut chose to wear it? Was seiko involved at all or the guy just liked it and brought it with him. I suppose I could just google it but i find people really into such things have interesting info on hand.

11. bardamu Feb 1, 2020

I have to quote this.
    Sad thing.

janice&fred likes this.
  12. janice&fred Feb 1, 2020

is this kind of personal rancor and childish name calling your way of discussing watches and reacting to different opinions? Yes my name is Fred and I'm not hiding behind some anonymous username, our icon is myself and my wife and we are personally known by many. Is this a problem for you? People disagree with your opinion of the value of YOUR watch. Don't take it so personal...you started this thread on it's value.

13. Walrus Feb 1, 2020

Interesting, I knew about the variations from the “official Pogue” for lack of a better word I just never took the time to find the meaning behind Pogue or if I did it didn’t stick in my mind. I really never appreciated seiko until the past year or two. I always liked them I just never appreciated all the history and variations. I can definitely see this being an excellent choice to have in the collection. I did run into one at a flea market, may not or probably wasn’t the year in question here but it would have been a great deal as it was on the table for 50 bucks. Might as well have been 1,000 as I only had 20 bucks in cash. Seems to be the only time I run across those crazy deals, when I can’t take advantage of them, oh woe is me.

Anyway thanks for the info. I’ve never seen seiko do any advertising about this. It’s pretty cool, or as we say in my home town wicked pissa

pseikotick likes this.
  14. TDBK Feb 1, 2020

I have a 6139 which I love, but it's a 6139-6030. I've been unable to discover anything authoritative on the difference (other than the model number) between this and a "True Pogue", and I'm also uncertain how correct my watch is as a -6030. I go back and forth on how much I want to upgrade my reference to something with more space authenticity, but it wears well.

Personally, I doubt the "True Pogue" will explode in value, for several reasons: first, there's a lot of similar but not quite "True" watches around, which I think takes some air out of the balloon: someone like myself who likes the watch but who doesn't need 100% authenticity can buy something authentic, correct, and very similar which would take a close examination to distinguish from the real thing. Second, there's a vast number of aftermarket parts which can be very challenging to distinguish from authentic, but the watches aren't valuable enough to support a large community of trusted authenticators/vendors to identify the real stuff. (Even with that community, look at the challenges in the Rolex market.) I think both of these undercut market dynamics, but who knows, it's all handicapping irrational collector behavior.

IMG_20190518_110039.jpg

Joe_A, janice&fred and pseikotick like this.
  15. sxl2004 Feb 1, 2020

There is no difference between the 6139-60xx models. The different mode numbers indicate the intended market for sale. As far as I know.
    Of course over time slight variations happened to all models.

KingCrouchy and janice&fred like this.
  16. janice&fred Feb 1, 2020

also bear in mind there is a large bleed-over of market-specific models. we have bought quite a few seikos in the south pacific that were supposedly North American models. It's not hard to imagine inventory was shipped wherever there was a shortage of supply.

sxl2004 likes this.
  17. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 1, 2020

Did Hawaii and Guam get NA models? That may explain it.

janice&fred likes this.
  18. janice&fred Feb 1, 2020

I don't have any experience in those places but you're right that might also explain it. the PX stores overseas on some of the massive US military bases might also be a possibility.

19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 1, 2020

Always:
    8BB5A51F-30A4-4393-9CB0-DA36433D89B1.jpeg

vibe, Joe_A, befobe and 8 others like this.
  20. jsducote Feb 2, 2020

Except that he didn't buy it in the USA, he bought it on a military base. And while it was a US military base, the supply line for that is not as straightforward as walking into a US jewelers, especially in the early 70s. Further, the only pictures I've seen show it with a French day dial, which doesn't really argue for the US model-variant.

But the real challenge is figuring out what actually flew. Pogue documented that the watch 'evolved' while in his ownership, having changed out parts over the years. While the caseback and movement aren't a guarantee of what flew, as they may also have 'evolved', I'd like to see those (don't believe pictures currently exist) to have a better idea of whether it's the 6002 or the 6005. I believe that anyone stating definitively is fooling themselves.

This is exactly what I mean by the evolution of Pogue's actual watch. What, then, is meant by a True Pogue? The model, variant, and parts that he flew with, or the model, variant, and parts that were auctioned?

Edited Feb 2, 2020
    janice&fred and smitty190373 like this.