Forums Latest Members

Seiko True Pogue has the right stuff to BLAST off

1. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Oct 24, 2022

FIFY

asrnj77, Flatfoot and pdxleaf like this.
  2. pdxleaf ... Oct 24, 2022

::facepalm2::

Thanks. Edited my post

Edited Oct 24, 2022
    Gav1967 likes this.
  3. Flatfoot Oct 24, 2022

I agree with pdxleaf’s opinion on the second watch shown by lightweight. Appears to me to be a repro dial and bezel

the dial in the first example appears to me to be an original Seiko. But if it is indeed a repro dial, I have not seen one like this - or this good before.

I have seen a number of Pogue dials, and the clean white lume color is fairly typical, as is the way it has been applied - appearing slightly pillow-like. The 6009T suffix, with good spacing of all digits, flat top “A”s in JAPAN etc etc. It’s pretty damn good if a repro. Color looks really good , with that orange hue coming through nicely. However that is also a function of lighting and camera.

Aged, patinated original dials often have discoloration around the sharp edge where the subdial meets the large flat plane of the dial. It is not definitive, but just another marker for an original dial.

But what gives me pause is the fact that the case has been polished, and it has a repro bezel. And the seller’s name references restoration! All that begs the question of what else may have been done. 0CBEA867-0399-4722-8093-4C0058C91BB7.jpeg

pdxleaf likes this.
  4. lightweight Oct 24, 2022

pdxleaf likes this.
  5. mrbreen Oct 24, 2022

2nd watch is a resist dial in a 1974 case, which shouldn’t be correct. And both watches have a textured day window. That seems… like a big red flag, no?

Gav1967 and Flatfoot like this.
  6. pdxleaf ... Oct 24, 2022

I'm only familiar with the the early cases from about 1969 to 70 that had notches at the crown, with no notches in later cases. Were there other differences?

Also, the textured date window difference is a good tip. Something else I learned. Thanks.

7. mrbreen Oct 24, 2022

Yeah, you’d expect Proof/Resist on a notched case as they were all early. I was able to see the date of that particular case in the ad.

And this is the red flag I’m referring to. I can’t ever recall seeing that verticals texture around the day window.
    C08DBA5C-5786-464F-A83C-72F5EAB48CEF.jpeg

Also, the inner rotating bezels on both look fake as well.

Flatfoot likes this.
  8. pdxleaf ... Oct 24, 2022

Some early resists had notched cases but not all or even most.

Good eye on the vertical textures. Looking back through just the pictures in this thread it appeared to be a mixture. Worth digging into more. I never noticed the differences so thanks for identifying that.

The inner bezels are problematic. They are prone to fading and come in a great variety of shades. Just for me, if all else checks out I tend to accept the inner bezel is okay, although i prefer ones that aren't all white.

9. keepsonticking Feb 11, 2024

I missed
    I missed this post when it was new, but I will add my 2 cents now: Both dials shown were fakes. If you check the 6030t markings in lower right and compare with the examples shown earlier in this thread, the markings are not even close. They are very different and both very wrong.

10. keepsonticking Feb 11, 2024

Again, the 6030t markings on this are WAY off where they should be on legit dials. It's a couple pages back in this thread.