Seiko Pogue 6139-6001, 6030R - authentic or not

I never said I was buying it I said I found It . It was in my uncles drawer It was my uncles that I found in a draw ! How am I being disingenuous? I'm trying to find out if the condition and serial number is relevant to price ! I think maybe you didn't read my original message properly or maybe I wrote it in a way you miss interpreted my question ??

Yeah you weren't clear enough in your original post. 'Found' could mean found for sale. Regardless, in terms of the serial, it's not a 'low serial number' as Seiko serials don't work that way. The first digit is the year (of a decade), the second is the month, 1-9 for Jan-Sep and then O, N, D for the remainder. So yours is looking like October1970.

[Edited to correct date, there aren't 13 months in the year!]
Edited:

I never said I was buying it I said I found It . It was in my uncles drawer It was my uncles that I found in a draw ! How am I being disingenuous? I'm trying to find out if the condition and serial number is relevant to price ! I think maybe you didn't read my original message properly or maybe I wrote it in a way you miss interpreted my question ??

Fair enough. My misunderstanding.

It's a nice watch. Getting it serviced is very important if you plan to wear it. If you plan to sell it, it's not worth the expense. There is a recommendation above for a watchmaker who will service your watch.

As for price, these have dropped in price from their high a year or two ago. Put it on ebay and the market will give you the current price. Mention that it was your Uncle's, which will likely bring more attention. Finding one such as yours in good condition is difficult. 250 pounds is too little, but fair for a dealer to pay you as he has to warranty the watch, pay for service, and make a profit.

They are great looking watches with a significant history, being one of, if not the first automatic chronograph, plus having been worn by an astronaut on Space Lab. The way the internal bezel spins and the day and date setting with the crown make it a fun watch to wear and interact with.

Yeah you weren't clear enough in your original post. 'Found' could mean found for sale. Regardless, in terms of the serial, it's not a 'low serial number' as Seiko serials don't work that way. The first digit is the year (of a decade), the second is the month, 0-9 for Jan-Sep and then O, N, D for the remainder. So yours is looking like January 1970.

Ok thanks for the information everyone hard to know what to do, may just put it away again as it's not worth selling for £250 margin and there seems to be quite a few on eBay for sale at the moment .

1) October 1970. Contrary to the above, serials are 1 through 9 for January through September, then O, N, and D for October through December.

2) the 6139-6001 wasn’t made for that long, more or less June 1970 through late 1970 - early 1971. Yours looks to be in good condition and has the two-piece sweep hand, which makes it a bit more valuable. Too bad we can’t see the dial, which either says “resist” or “proof.” It should probably be a “resist,” although Seiko seems to have been in a transitional period in 1970 and used either dial for a few months.

3) If you’re going to sell it (eBay or elsewhere) you’ll need to open it and provide a good picture of the movement. FWIW, it should be worth more than £250, even in the current market (which is a bit soft).

1) October 1970. Contrary to the above, serials are 1 through 9 for January through September, then O, N, and D for October through December.

2) the 6139-6001 wasn’t made for that long, more or less June 1970 through late 1970 - early 1971. Yours looks to be in good condition and has the two-piece sweep hand, which makes it a bit more valuable. Too bad we can’t see the dial, which either says “resist” or “proof.” It should probably be a “resist,” although Seiko seems to have been in a transitional period in 1970 and used either dial for a few months.

3) If you’re going to sell it (eBay or elsewhere) you’ll need to open it and provide a good picture of the movement. FWIW, it should be worth more than £250, even in the current market (which is a bit soft).
Ok many thanks for your reply I will get it off of my sister tomorrow and take some better photos of it .the photos I took were just quick ones ages ago .I thought is wasn't working but when I put it on it started up , I will take a better look at it in more detail and thanks again for the information.

Of course - total brain fade on my part 🤦, I've edited the post.
Edited: