Forums Latest Members

Seiko Mods and General Feelings

1. CBM1590 We don’t rent pigs. Apr 27, 2024

Howdy all! I have been running through the ‘net and eBay and have perused a number of seikos that have been modified. I rather like the look of some of them. I’ve read that as long as they have retained the NH35 or NH36 movement, they are likely builds rather than modifications….if one can even draw a distinction between the two terms.

I’m a “wear what you like” guy and own both a Speedy and a vintage Seamaster bumper that I love, but some of the Seikos just look fun and don’t break the bank for the most part.

Anyone have modded Seikos or actually have done it and appreciate them for what they are? Or is it something that folks frown upon from a purist standpoint? Looping in @Dsloan @noelekal and @Aroxx for their views as well. If I recall they are pretty heavy Seiko owners. Just curious. (Attached a few pics for reference)

IMG_0489.jpeg IMG_0490.jpeg
    Edited Apr 27, 2024
    noelekal likes this.
  2. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Apr 27, 2024

The NH movement is a Seiko movement, but it is unbranded. It’s cheaper than the 4R movement, so it’s the go to choice for building/modding.

I’m all for modding Seiko but can the watches shown above even be considered “Seiko”? Those are fake fantasy dials/hands/bezels/cases created to resemble something else- usually Rolex. The only thing “Seiko” would be the NH movement inside.

My foray into Seiko modding stemmed from buy turtles and swapping the dials into genuine SKX cases with aftermarket bezels & chapter rings.

IMG_6479.jpeg

And then this, which is a genuine dial but the case, hands, bezel are aftermarket

IMG_6478.jpeg

That switched to finding genuine parts suppliers and buying OEM parts to build something I wished Seiko would have made. I got a hold of 3 Zimbe dials, 2 Dawn Grey, OEM Zimbe hands, 4R movements w/OEM Kanji day/date discs, and SKX cases. It can be quite fun and addicting. The only OEM bezel is the all black one below. All the other bezel inserts are aftermarket.

IMG_6473.jpeg IMG_6475.jpeg IMG_6476.jpeg IMG_6477.jpeg IMG_6474.jpeg IMG_6480.jpeg

Edited Apr 27, 2024
    hen, pascs, Aroxx and 4 others like this.
  3. CBM1590 We don’t rent pigs. Apr 27, 2024

I really like your work SB! I used the pics to illustrate the concept but I love the idea of using OEM parts to build the watch you wish Seiko had built in the first place. That waffle dial is super. You still have it?

wagudc and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  4. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Apr 27, 2024

I regrettably don’t have any of those anymore :oops:

5. sathomasga Apr 27, 2024

I got tired of waiting for Seiko to release a 62MAS reissue that was both reasonably sized (hint, the original was 38mm) and reasonably priced (perceptibly short of BB58 money would be a start). So I took matters into my own hands. The case is from Ali Express, but the movement, dial, hands, etc. are genuine Seiko OEM.

IMG_1543.jpeg

CPRwatch, hen and CBM1590 like this.
  6. CBM1590 We don’t rent pigs. Apr 27, 2024

Shame, but you have skills to re-do if you wish. I imagine there would be some of us that would be interested in a genuine Scarecrow Boat creation…seriously.

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 27, 2024

Had this built by one of the best mod guys going….Aussie guy ”George” that's been doing it for over 20+ years

IMG_8362.jpeg

CBM1590 likes this.
  8. J!m Apr 27, 2024

I built up a black case watch with a highly legible dial. It also has a luminous date wheel.

Aparently I have no pictures on my phone but it’s somewhat unique other than being a modern Sub case with black PVD on it.

I didn’t have an all black mechanical so I built it. I was building a Datejust homage for a friend at the time so I just ordered some extra parts and threw it together.

CBM1590 likes this.
  9. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Apr 27, 2024

It was fun sourcing the parts with patience and putting them together. I did really enjoy that. Modding Seiko’s was actually my gateway into Modding Omegas :D This time around I pay someone else to do all the work. I’ve shared this elsewhere but, purchasing a new 1861 Speedy intentionally to mod

IMG_6481.jpeg

Sourcing a TinTin dial and case back from several forum members

IMG_6482.jpeg IMG_6483.jpeg

Sending it to my watch maker, who I also had modify the movement by switching the plastic break for the dressier metal version (for the times I want to see it)

IMG_6486.jpeg

And I have this

IMG_6484.jpeg IMG_6485.jpeg

Though, admittedly, this build isn’t as creative as the Seiko builds above as Omega did make this. I just couldn’t afford the genuine version and it was cheaper to make my own.

But I do have various other parts sitting idly by waiting to be used like this Mitsukoshi dial & hands (hands not shown) as well as other parts like another Speedy dial, several pairs of OEM hands, a few other OEM case backs, and various OEM bezels like a DON, Telemetre, and more :cool: Fun stuff. Expensive.. but fun.

IMG_6087.jpeg

NGO1, CBM1590 and sheepdoll like this.
  10. reverbtime Apr 27, 2024

Yep. I am all for modding, but there is a very fine line between modding, and a fake dial IMO. The line where I think it's a fake, is when the dial is modified with the Seiko branding still there.

I remember the huge controversy and backlash Larry (Uncle Straps) got when he started selling Seiko dials, with the name of his company on the bottom of the dial.

11. Lancaster Apr 28, 2024

For me it's just an affordable and entertaining hobby, though I've only recently got into modding. You're always going to find people who'll frown on just about anything, but if you enjoy it who cares. All you're doing is creating an affordable watch of your own design. Here's a recent mod I undertook, not at all a Seiko but at least has an NH35, that began life as an Rdunae R6. I just liked the design (one of which is the chamfered edge lugs) and the smaller size than others in the general Fifty Fathoms style. Here's before and after pics. Just changed the dial and added a date. It may not resell as highly as an original, but again it's just for my amusement and I don't intend to ever offer it for sale. Especially considering how cheap it was (like many Seikos).
    upload_2024-4-28_9-9-6.jpeg
    upload_2024-4-28_9-9-54.jpeg

CBM1590 likes this.