Forums Latest Members

Val.72 Servicing, Parts, and General Opinions

1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 29, 2016

I picked up my first Val.72 based watch, a Nivada Grenchen Chronoking, and absolutely love it, but have heard nightmares about servicing a val.72 movement.

It is running well, is buttery smooth, and resets to zero like a champ. I have not had my watchmaker take a look yet, but assuming everything checks out and the movement is in good health, what should I expect as far as servicing goes for the future?

I swore I would never collect vintage chronos for fear of servicing and parts nightmares...and now I own 6.

Any insight or experience would be greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Northernman and Bienne2998 like this.
  2. abrod520 Feb 29, 2016

I've actually heard the exact opposite about servicing the 72 - it's got a reputation as a bulletproof movement, and parts aren't as difficult to come by as for other movements since they were so prolific in the 60s.

My Carrera has been running flawlessly for years, and I've got a special place in my heart for the Valjoux 72 because of it!

3. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Feb 29, 2016

I have literally dozens of watches with v72 movements or variations of...never a single issue servicing them.
    Parts are readily available and will be for a long time.

Bienne2998 likes this.
  4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 29, 2016

5. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 29, 2016

No, no, no, no!!! They are horribly expensive to maintain and breaks when you breathe on them....
    Do not purchase any:whistling:!

And BTW: DIBS! :D

watchknut likes this.