Seiko 5 Snoopy

One thing I've always wondered about the current crop of Seiko 5's with the lollipop second hands. is the tip of the second hand lumed or just the lollipop round bit on the short end? It seemed to me that if the actual seconds are being marked by the long end, only having the round bit lumed would be kind of confusing in the dark.

One thing I've always wondered about the current crop of Seiko 5's with the lollipop second hands. is the tip of the second hand lumed or just the lollipop round bit on the short end? It seemed to me that if the actual seconds are being marked by the long end, only having the round bit lumed would be kind of confusing in the dark.
The tip of the second hand is not lumed. Only the short end lollipop.

My wife and kids decided to give me my Father's Day present early, to save me the suspense of waiting. God bless them 😀
So I put it on a light brown quick release calfskin leather strap from the Sydney Strap Co, to match my belt and shoes...
PXL_20230619_025523739.jpg PXL_20230619_025745152.jpg
Have a black rubber strap on the way so that I can wear it in/near water in the summer.

Speak of the devil, the black tropic rubber just arrived in the mail! Looks great IMHO, and super comfy...
PXL_20230619_033335064.jpg PXL_20230619_033349438.jpg

A bit off topic from Snoopy but I just saw another group of new vintage inspired Seiko limited editions yesterday and they look awesome. Seiko is really doing some cool and tempting stuff at multiple price points.

A bit off topic from Snoopy but I just saw another group of new vintage inspired Seiko limited editions yesterday and they look awesome. Seiko is really doing some cool and tempting stuff at multiple price points.

You mean these?

https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/news/20230608

I think I really want that original Seiko 5 diver reissue. Trying to talk myself out of it to save up for a fancier watch later this year.

You mean these?

https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/news/20230608

I think I really want that original Seiko 5 diver reissue. Trying to talk myself out of it to save up for a fancier watch later this year.
Yep, those be the ones. I really like the SRPK17 and SRPK13. There is also a new smaller 35mm Tissot PRX automatic coming out. I may need to start selling my organs...

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/f...-pay-tribute-to-the-original-1960s-collection

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/t...-35mm-prx-now-with-the-powermatic-80-movement

Pictures for context. Sorry for hijack. We need a "New Release" thread or something to chat about this random stuff (is there one?).

Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 1.51.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 1.50.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 1.52.16 PM.png

Yep, those be the ones. I really like the SRPK17 and SRPK13. There is also a new smaller 35mm Tissot PRX automatic coming out. I may need to start selling my organs...

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/f...-pay-tribute-to-the-original-1960s-collection

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/t...-35mm-prx-now-with-the-powermatic-80-movement

Pictures for context. Sorry for hijack. We need a "New Release" thread or something to chat about this random stuff (is there one?).

Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 1.51.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 1.50.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 1.52.16 PM.png

Indeed, those new Seikos are very tempting. A 'new release's thread sounds perfect!

Indeed, those new Seikos are very tempting. A 'new release's thread sounds perfect!
I find the SRPK17 also very tempting since I found out about it just today 😁 I'm totally new to the Seiko world after buying Mrs. Cheers a SRPK25 last weekend... anyway there are also two more anniversary releases still coming?

Screenshot_20230629_211236_Chrome.jpg

I find the SRPK17 also very tempting since I found out about it just today 😁 I'm totally new to the Seiko world after buying Mrs. Cheers a SRPK25 last weekend... anyway there are also two more anniversary releases still coming?

Screenshot_20230629_211236_Chrome.jpg

Good reminder that we need to make that new releases thread... Will see if I can get to it later if y'all don't beat me to it. 😁

I still kinda want to grab the J79 too. My son's obsessed with all those campy Japanese action movies and shows (Ultraman, Kamen Rider, etc) that Seiko keeps riffing on... Lord help me if the release something Godzilla themed!

Good reminder that we need to make that new releases thread... Will see if I can get to it later if y'all don't beat me to it. 😁
Yes, I forgot about it too and think it's a good idea. Just saw a cool new release hit my email as well and thought about it. Go for it! May it catch on and your name be immortalized on OF.

Snoopy poolside on a vacation in sunny Malaysia. Taking a much needed break from the southern hemisphere winter.
PXL_20230630_080005172.jpg
Has been a great holiday watch so far. Was a bit skeptical at first regarding the water resistance because it doesn't have a screw down crown. Swam with it a couple of times and glad to report no water ingress. With regards to accuracy, the 4R36 movement's rate shows considerable positional variation. My (limited) experience so far:
+12s per day when worn during the day and resting dial up overnight.
+8s per day when worn during the day and resting crown up overnight.
Nil time gain or loss when worn during the day and resting crown down overnight.
Pretty good performance from a modestly priced watch. Hope others are enjoying their Seikos too.

SOB I’m trying to put these out of my mind this don’t help. Damn you watches, damn you
Always cost us money looking at these forums lol

Always cost us money looking at these forums lol
Indeed. OF strikes again. I picked this one up last month (after seeing this thread, I resisted only about a week) along with a vintage Snoopy Timex for my 5-year-old son who has watched every episode of The Snoopy Show on AppleTV multiple times. It was a sort of Father's Day gift for myself, especially meaningful since my own father is a lifelong Snoopy fan, too.
I didn't like the NATO strap so I got this sailcloth strap from Crown & Buckle, and I have a "tropic" strap on the way.

Indeed. OF strikes again. I picked this one up last month (after seeing this thread, I resisted only about a week) along with a vintage Snoopy Timex for my 5-year-old son who has watched every episode of The Snoopy Show on AppleTV multiple times. It was a sort of Father's Day gift for myself, especially meaningful since my own father is a lifelong Snoopy fan, too.
I didn't like the NATO strap so I got this sailcloth strap from Crown & Buckle, and I have a "tropic" strap on the way.
Tropic rubber is a good choice. Comfy and makes the watch more versatile. And getting a brightly coloured strap changes the character of the watch completely if desired.

I couldn't resist any longer now that they're available at discounts. I swapped the leather strap for a bracelet since I think that makes it a little more versatile.

IMG_1271.jpeg

IMG_1276.jpeg
Edited:

I couldn't resist any longer now that they're available at discounts. I swapped the leather strap for a bracelet since I think that makes it a little more versatile.

IMG_1271.jpeg

IMG_1276.jpeg
May I ask if that is an original Seiko bracelet? And if so what's the article number? Looks almost vintage.

May I ask if that is an original Seiko bracelet? And if so what's the article number? Looks almost vintage.

Alas, it is not a Seiko bracelet. The only OEM bracelet I know of that will fit the watch is the stock bracelet for the SRPJ81. You can order that bracelet from Seiko customer service at 1-800-722-4452. I don't know the part number, but they can look it up given the reference. I was quoted a price of more than $100. Seiko bracelets, at least for the Seiko 5 line, don't seem to have a very good reputation (I've never seen one in person), so that seems rather excessive. Also, that OEM bracelet is a three-link oyster style, and I really wanted an Engineer's style bracelet. As you noted, it has a bit more of a vintage aura which I like, but it also seems to pair very well with pilot watches, as Laco and IWC (among others) recognize.

The bracelet I have is a generic Asian one available from multiple sellers on eBay, Ali Express, etc.. I paid less than $15 for mine on Amazon. There are three caveats worth mentioning, however:

1. As delivered, the bracelet is highly polished. Unsurprisingly considering the price, it's not done especially well. But even if it were finished very nicely, I don't like polished bracelets. They're too blingy for me. I gave my bracelet a satin finish using a bucket of sand and a plastic funnel. (Stream a funnel-full of sand onto the bracelet from a height of a couple of feet a dozen times or so.) Scotch-Brite also works well if you prefer a linear brushing instead of a satin finish.

2. The spring bars included with the bracelet are 1.6mm diameter. Those work fine with the flat end-links that are attached to the bracelet on delivery. If you swap those end-links for the optional curved end-links, however, 1.6mm is too thick to pass through the center links that are inserted into the end-links. You need 1.4mm diameter (or smaller) spring bars to use the curved end-links.

3. The curved end-links are not a perfect fit for the case. I was able to reshape them a bit with needle nose pliers, and I think they look reasonable, but it's still not perfect.

On the positive side, the 50¢ pin removal tool included with the bracelet actually lasted long enough for me to resize the bracelet and swap the end-links. (Everything uses split pins.)

I should add that, finishing aside, the bracelet is actually quite nice. The links are solid (not folded), and butterfly clasp is milled (not stamped). As with most butterfly clasps, there are no micro-adjustments and no half-links, but I had no problem getting a perfect fit as the links themselves are quite small with a pin-to-pin spacing of 9mm. It's well articulated and the inside surface is pretty soft against the wrist.
Edited: