Forums Latest Members

Sedna and Canopus Gold Speedmasters...

1. PandaSPUR Oct 5, 2021

Yea I know what you mean. The first time I saw this announced, it was kinda meh. First time I saw it in person, I went "hmm thats kinda nice" but still didnt pay it much attention. Seeing it in different lighting was what really did it for me.

I do love the black alligator strap, but I've been trying to think of what other straps would look good with it. While I was in the OB, I held up some other straps against the watch to see how they would look. Navy was the most interesting. Dark brown seemed to work well too. Light brown was terrible.

Gonna enjoy the black alligator for now before trying new stuff.

This was a definite positive of the black dial for me, it reminded me more of a moonwatch. The sunburst is really subtle. With indoor lighting, it really just looks like a satin sheen. I'll try to get some pictures to demonstrate this week.

I actually dont own a normal speedy pro haha, so i can't compare. my other speedy is a GSOTM.

I wish the bezel was ceramic just for durability sake, but so far I don't mind the aluminum. The shininess of a ceramic bezel may actually clash against the finish of the dial, so I'm starting to see benefits to the aluminum.

I am worried about the 3861 issues, but apparently these have been hard to keep in stock so hopefully mine is a relatively recent copy and has had all the fixes from the factory already. I do like that this is a Master Chronometer, it kinda adds to the "ultimate speedy" feeling for me. I doubt I'll feel an itch to upgrade anytime soon.

Please please please don't buy from a flipper. Also, if you still prefer the Ed White, don't buy the Sedna just cause its more readily available. You'll regret that later. The watch market is a huge pain in the ass to deal with right now, but it can't last forever. Once the bubble eventually pops, the general population will go back to "why would I spend five figures on a watch?" instead of "hm I could flip this".

Definitely try to see it in person if you can. If its clicking for you now, you'll really fall in love once you try it on your wrist. And try to see it in daylight!

Will try to get more pictures soon :D

pdxleaf likes this.
  2. pdxleaf ... Oct 5, 2021

Thanks, good advice.

I do like the Ed White. But there's something about gold. I have one gold UG that makes me feel good. I think everyone needs at least one gold watch. And I can't help myself but I love the speedy. A gold speedmaster seems like it has it all. Besides, i think my kids would rather inherit a gold watch. (Just not too soon.)

NGO1 and PandaSPUR like this.
  3. PandaSPUR Oct 8, 2021

Decided to full wind my watch around midnight 10/6 and just let it run down. Finally stopped today around 4:45PM. A whopping 64hr power reserve, much more than the spec of 50hrs. Makes me wonder if I subconciously decided to fiddle with the watch and wound it a bit. Gonna try again with a full wind at midnight tonight.

And as always, some more pics:
    20211007_185449.jpg 20211007_161539.jpg 20211008_145809.jpg 20211007_171334.jpg 20211008_175036.jpg 20211008_200037.jpg 20211008_200122.jpg

G-Web, Alex_TA, duc and 7 others like this.
  4. G-Web Dec 3, 2021

The Sedna Speedmaster really caught my eye upon its release, and I’ve admired (ok, lusted after) it ever since. Well, recently I made the leap. And having spent a few weeks with it, here are some initial impressions.

The case is probably the obvious place to start. This is my first PM watch, and for someone used to stainless steel, the Sedna really pops. But it’s got some warmth, almost a bit of orange in certain lights, and somehow it manages not to scream bling. It’s not subtle by any means, but it’s not gaudy either.

The dial took me a little time to really appreciate. In photos I couldn’t help but want a little extra from it, either a more pronounced sunburst finish, or something more eye-popping like a panda scheme. But now that I’ve spent some time with it, I think it’s perfect. There appears to be a matte surface on the body of the dial, with concentric circles in the seconds sub-dial and minute/hour recorders forming a glossy contrast. The bevels on the step and sub-registers create added visual interest depending on the light. And the way the orange/red of the hands and markers play with the black dial produces a brown-ish smoky effect that’s hard to look away from.

Some have expressed disappointment that Omega didn’t fit this one with a ceramic bezel. I have to say, I’m fine with the aluminum insert. To me it’s in keeping with standard Speedy protocols, and it helps ground the watch a little, if that’s possible. Generally speaking I prefer my moonwatches with plastic crystals and solid casebacks. Suffice it to say I found it in my heart to make an exception for this one. I'm also okay with no special movement finishing to go along with the display caseback; the watch is special enough as it is and I don't feel that it needs extra embellishment.

The black alligator strap installed on the watch is, while very nice, not the best choice in my opinion. Rose gold pairs well with brown, and I think Omega would have been wise to supply something in the mahogany to cognac color range. I recently found the Omega Barenia strap pictured, and I think its lighter color helps open things up and lets the Sedna breathe a little more.

All in all, I love it. It’s got the tried and true design aesthetic of a Speedmaster, but it’s really special and beautifully executed.

A couple random thoughts in closing: I would love to see a two-tone version in steel and rose gold on a bracelet. That would be perfection in my view. And as long as I’m shopping in fantasy land, a Sedna gold JB Champion style mesh bracelet for this watch would be heaven on earth. Pretty sure my head would explode.

As some on this thread have mentioned, photos of this watch are just not that numerous at this point. I’m thankful to those who have posted photos here, and I hope my pics will help others form a better impression of this lovely watch.

Cheers,

-GW
    IMG_7994.jpg IMG_8143.jpg IMG_8177.jpg

Edited Dec 3, 2021
    isgrb, MTROIS, Scarecrow Boat and 7 others like this.
  5. Boony Dec 3, 2021

really beautiful piece, thanks for the write up too. very interesting

G-Web likes this.
  6. david5807 Dec 3, 2021

Very, very nice.

G-Web likes this.
  7. afnios1 Dec 3, 2021

sedna rocks,but canopus is my taste.Wear it in good health m8.

david5807 and G-Web like this.
  8. PandaSPUR Dec 3, 2021

Great pictures and write up!

That brown strap looks good on it too, makes me wanna try some combos.

G-Web likes this.
  9. 140dave Dec 3, 2021

Way to go @G-Web ! Nice pickup, very worthy of the collection reduction you did recently.

G-Web likes this.
  10. Bkenoman Dec 3, 2021

What a beautiful watch. Sedna is the bomb. In my humble opinion it beats the Canopus.

G-Web likes this.
  11. david5807 Dec 3, 2021

OP, is the deplyant buckle in Sedna as well? Great choice pairing it with the brown strap too.

12. YY77 Dec 4, 2021

david5807 likes this.
  13. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Dec 4, 2021

david5807 likes this.
  14. david5807 Dec 4, 2021

YY77 likes this.
  15. G-Web Dec 4, 2021

Yes, the deployant is Sedna as well.
    Thanks all for the kind words.
    Cheers,
    -GW
    4481E53D-4D21-4486-A422-F3FE5C762F7D.jpeg 56474A5B-F753-40D2-8914-D14C2F511E25.jpeg

hansmaulwurf, duc and david5807 like this.
  16. david5807 Dec 4, 2021

hansmaulwurf and G-Web like this.
  17. griffith_500 Feb 26, 2022

Sedna and Canopus...A match made in heaven...
    I love that the Canopus will never be recognised for what it is in the wild... And the Sedna patiently waits for that special occasion...;-)
    Once again Omega have nailed it

DSC_7530.jpg

18. isgrb Feb 26, 2022

Wow, absolutely fantastic pics in this thread. I honestly can’t decide which i like better. Like others I love the stealthy aspect of the Canopus but that Sedna is absolutely gorgeous (on strap or on bracelet). My head says Canopus but my heard says Sedna….

G-Web likes this.
  19. Trog Feb 26, 2022

For the ultimate in flying under the radar.... I had to go with the Pt.

321P_red.jpg

20. bruin20 Feb 27, 2022

Anyone know the weight of the sedna on leather? Considering one and wondering how heavy it might be and if the deployant balances the watch well?