Forums Latest Members

Sedna and Canopus Gold Speedmasters...

1. s2000_driver Apr 12, 2021

Sedna is stunning in person. I don't mind the aluminum bezel. The thing that bothered me is the movement. It needs to be better finished than that. I mean at least match the Sedna gold color, like they did with the new 321.

chipotlefire and david5807 like this.
  2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 13, 2021

Whilst both are ::love:: if I had to choose it would be Canopus for me because it’s totally ‘under the radar’ and there are not many light dialed Speedies around...

69F46214-C3E8-42C7-92B2-84DB9AD772B5.jpeg 3ED1C7B1-BAA9-4863-8D66-587E3C204DD7.jpeg

GT3, MauricioNO, Eve and 5 others like this.
  3. raclaims Apr 13, 2021

The canopus really is elegant in person...they crushed it...I love mine

4. PandaSPUR Aug 30, 2021

I normally dislike bumping old threads, but I'm considering buying a Sedna speedy in the next month or so... anyone else have some real life pictures they'd like to share?

Its been hard to find pictures elsewhere on forums and social media. This thread so far has been the biggest single collection of pictures not taken in some kind of professional manner.

I managed to try on the Canopus speedy the last time I was at the OB, but the Sedna speedy was being viewed by another customer. I really liked the white dial and the overall classy look of the Canopus on black alligator, but at the same time I'm conflicted about the "stealth" aspect of it just looking like SS.

soybeanwatch and david5807 like this.
  5. Evitzee Aug 30, 2021

White gold has a completely different feel on the wrist (sheen, color, heat transfer properties, weight) and, of course, the psychological aspects of it. If you can't get your brain wrapped around those things don't waste your money on it. You'll always feel you wasted your money.

Edited Aug 30, 2021
    david5807 likes this.
  6. PandaSPUR Aug 30, 2021

I guess the problem is that its hard to really experience that in the time I spend at an OB trying it on.
    The weight difference was easy to feel when comparing side by side. But I have watches of varying sizes and materials (39 to 46mm, ceramic, SS, titanium) so I'm also kind of numb to the difference in weight, if that makes any sense.

I'm familiar with the sheen/patina that platinum develops over time, so I'm curious to see more pictures of the Canopus in real life settings as well. Under the typical halogen showroom lighting, it was just hard to appreciate the Canopus material.

david5807 likes this.
  7. Dr No Aug 30, 2021

Here you go.

BE7945DD-8731-49DD-80E5-95CF1DAC486A_1_201_a.jpeg 1C036DCE-E0F4-4A20-B678-F5D904379E41_1_201_a.jpeg 2332773E-620A-498E-B7FC-67F746EC7A9E_1_201_a.jpeg

All pics taken at the Beverly Center Omega boutique in West Los Angeles.

Art

PandaSPUR, david5807 and texasmade like this.
  8. PandaSPUR Aug 31, 2021

Beautiful, thank you.

Has anyone seen pictures of either the Canopus or the Sedna on alternative straps? I'm gonna guess the Canopus will match with other strap colors better and the strap preview feature on Omega's site kinda confirms that.

9. spe777 Aug 31, 2021

The Sedna is flat out gorgeous from the pictures. Can't even imagine how good it must look in natural lighting.

Bkenoman likes this.
  10. Dr No Aug 31, 2021

It's so gorgeous I decided not to get it. That's not tongue-in-cheek - I meant precisely what I wrote. The reason I went for an Ed White is because Sedna's too gorgeous to wear except on special occasions. And as special occasions are practically nonexistent, the nod went to the Speedmaster I'd be able to wear on a daily basis.

But no doubt, Sedna's an absolutely stunning watch.

Art

MTROIS likes this.
  11. raclaims Aug 31, 2021

I like the Sedna on strap personally. Just too much bling for nyc streets with the full bracelet

12. Evitzee Aug 31, 2021

Unfortunately too much bling for a lot of cities in the US these days.

raclaims likes this.
  13. PandaSPUR Aug 31, 2021

Agreed, I prefer both on the strap instead of bracelet, although the Sedna would definitely be more noticeable.

I live in NYC and depending on where I go, I wouldn't be worried about getting mugged. But I just think its a bit "too much" with the bracelet

14. tvlaan Aug 31, 2021

SO.... quite the turn of events since i started this thread a few months back. I now own both the Sedna and Canopus...

The Sedna is something special - the more I wear it, the more it becomes "The One" (tough competition for my 321...). The Canopus is really a stealthy beauty but I haven't really bonded with it (perhaps since I prefer bracelets...). May end up selling that one.

Here are a few pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 1, 2021

All that’s missing from that lineup is the platinum 321 … ::stirthepot::

EdtheAussie, Tako Yaki, Eve and 2 others like this.
  16. texasmade Sep 1, 2021

I think he also needs a moonshine gold Apollo 11. That way he’ll have every metal covered.

17. richard371 Sep 5, 2021

I just picked up this one and love the dark blue with the rose gold. Almost looks Copper or bronze. Ive always wanted a PM but not a gold bracelet as I feel I can't pull it off. Sadly this is it for awhile as Id like to retire someday.

IMG_2593.jpeg IMG_2626.jpeg

18. PandaSPUR Oct 5, 2021

Quick update from myself, ended up with the Sedna!
    Really really fell in love with this when I asked to walk to the front of the shop by the door/window to see it in natural light. I first asked if I could take a quick walk outside with it... but quickly changed that suggestion upon seeing the SA's face

I'm glad that the Canopus was actually not in stock anymore, as that forced me to take another look at the Sedna. Although the OB did have an exhibition-only sample of the Canopus for me to compare in person.

DSC02295-Edit.jpg DSC02317-Edit.jpg DSC02331.jpg DSC02329.jpg

19. raclaims Oct 5, 2021

Beauty!! Many congrats

PandaSPUR likes this.
  20. pdxleaf ... Oct 5, 2021

Congrats.

This watch just registered with me. It was totally under my radar. But not anymore.

You know the talk about your favorite three watches, etc? There's a lot of sense in having a few good watches.

This Sedna with the strap is crazy attractive. The bracelet is great but it's alot of gold to be swinging on your wrist. Black and gold is a nice combo. It works. Plus this thing seems like it would be a strap monster.

So what do you think about the dial? I read that it has a sunburst or glossy sheen. I like the idea but how does it look in person compared to the normal speedy? I also like that the dial is black instead of yellow gold. Black has more of the moonwatch vibe to me.

The gold indices are nice. Better than onyx. Plus they are long. It's a nice feature. The whole dial seems great. Stepped, AML but in gold. I even like that the bezel in aluminum instead of ceramic. A little more authenticity. Refined but still consistent with moonwatch features.

I wish it was an 1861 instead of 3861, frankly. But as long as the 3861 issues get resolved it'll be okay in the end.

As for the price, it's still a bunch of money. But relative to paying 19 to 20k for a new Ed White from a flipper, it's a decent deal. I have been actually debating about paying to get an Ed White from a flipper because I can never get one from a dealer. Then the whole vintage versus new comes up. I can get a nice vintage Ed White, but recently I have had a couple vintage watches need service. I have 4 at watchmakers right now. I love vintage, but having problems with vintage chronographs gets tiring. My favorite are my new speedys, including the 35th apollo-soyuz meterorite. It's one of my most worn watches. I think I could just wear that one watch every day. The other modern 1861 is getting an apollo 11 35th dial mod shortly (have the dial, waiting on a chrono seconds hand from a Tokyo because it has a little red tip.) This will satisfy my white dial itch.

So this Sedna is looking pretty, pretty, pretty good. It surprises me that it hasn't been more talked about. I really thought I wanted an apollo 11 gold speedmaster, but I have to say I like this black dial, black bezel look here. You know how some watches sort of click more than others? I heard a click sound in my brain.

Thank you forum, for listening to my blather. No one at home wants to talk with me about watches. On the contrary, it's more like "oh, god, do we have to hear about watches again?"

More sedna watch pictures please.