Seamaster Jumbo

Hi everyone, would welcome opinions on this Seamaster Jumbo. I've read the deep dive on Seamaster Jumbos on this website. From that, I don't think the hour markers are correct. Also, the fonts don't look right. The thing is, I've seen similar hour markers on other watches, but I don't know if they're just fakes made in the same way.

Screenshot_20240119-194450_Chrono24.jpg

Apologies, the article I read didn't cover this specific model which is a 166.110. The hour markers do look correct to that. Would still welcome opinions though.

Hi @Kiwi76 here's my 166.0110 from 1971 which runs on a cal. 1002. I really like this watch, it has a cool vibe to it and even has it's original blue Corfam strap which is super comfortable. Despite this I still think the earlier Seamaster Jumbo's you referred to were slightly more reliable, running (from memory) the 500 series caliber which was a real workhorse of a calibre - robust, easy to maintain etc the 1000 series which is in the watch you're looking at getting is considered a slightly more awkward movement to service, as such it does get a bad rap (some say unjustifiably). The rest of the watch you posted looks correct and genuine to my eyes and still retains its Sunburst finish. One thing to perhaps look out for is the movement which looks slightly tired... but it may just be the photos. I guess what I'm saying is maybe wait for the watch you were originally looking for....
Edited:

Hi @Kiwi76 here's my 166.0110 from 1971 which runs on a cal. 1002. I really like this watch, it has a cool vibe to it and even has it's original blue Corfam strap which is super comfortable. Despite this I still think the earlier Seamaster Jumbo's you referred to were slightly more robust, running (from memory) the 500 series caliber which was a real workhorse of a calibre - robust, easy to maintain etc the 1000 series which is in the watch you're looking at getting is considered a slightly more awkward movement to service, as such it does get a bad rap (some say unjustifiably). The rest of the watch you posted looks correct and genuine to my eyes and still retains its Sunburst finish. One thing to perhaps look out for is the movement which looks slightly tired... but it may just be the photos.

Many thanks for your reply. Ahhhhhh, so that's a Corfam strap!!! Wow, it does look comfy. The bracelet on this one is an Omega one, so not sure if original one tbh.

I had heard that the 1002 movement was regarded as high maintenance compared to other watches. It does concern me that the description of this watch does not mention a recent service, but that's something I can confirm if I do take it further. I think the mechanism does look a bit tired, with some marks on the rotor weight.

Price is around $700, over priced do you think?

All good, with a name like 'Kiwi76' I thought you might be quoting New Zealand dollars. I've seen these go for $350 USD, $700 is probably the upper limit for these although Chrono24 has some clocking in much higher... but that's Chrono24. It all comes down to condition. Again, if it was me I'd try to get a 166.087 instead.

All good, with a name like 'Kiwi76' I thought you might be quoting New Zealand dollars. I've seen these go for $350 USD, $700 is probably the upper limit for these although Chrono24 has some clocking in much higher... but that's Chrono24. It all comes down to condition. Again, if it was me I'd try to get a 166.087 instead.

Hahaha, relocated New Zealander now in the UK.

Yes, I think you're right, $USD700 would be a premium for something in perfect condition and serviced, and this isn't it.

I'll keep looking, hopefully I'll see something on the sales forums on here so I know I'm getting something good. I do like the look of the two colour dial on this model though. The blue dial you have looks fantastic. I think the Jumbo Seamasters look great. But that's the problem, Omega did so many great watches, and I see more and more that I like!

Many thanks for your help.

BTW here's a great overview of why the 1000 series watches have a bad reputation and why it's not really justified. Watch from 5:40mins onwards to hear this watchmaker's opinion on the movement

Hands on OPs watch don't look right and the yellow/gold date disk should give one pause as well.

BTW here's a great overview of why the 1000 series watches have a bad reputation and why it's not really justified. Watch from 5:40mins onwards to hear this watchmaker's opinion on the movement

That's great thanks, I'll give it a watch. The engineering and ingenuity that went into these watches is amazing.

Hi @Kiwi76 here's my 166.0110 from 1971 which runs on a cal. 1002. I really like this watch, it has a cool vibe to it and even has it's original blue Corfam strap which is super comfortable. Despite this I still think the earlier Seamaster Jumbo's you referred to were slightly more reliable, running (from memory) the 500 series caliber which was a real workhorse of a calibre - robust, easy to maintain etc the 1000 series which is in the watch you're looking at getting is considered a slightly more awkward movement to service, as such it does get a bad rap (some say unjustifiably). The rest of the watch you posted looks correct and genuine to my eyes and still retains its Sunburst finish. One thing to perhaps look out for is the movement which looks slightly tired... but it may just be the photos. I guess what I'm saying is maybe wait for the watch you were originally looking for....
I love this watch!!! So cool in that blue and with the strap!! I am on the look out for one if anyone comes across a listing.