Forums Latest Members
  1. jimil6911 Oct 1, 2018

Hi all,

New to the vintage watch world and stumble upon these 2 beauties. Was hoping to get some sage advice from this community for check boxes I should be aware of during my search. Specifically price range (hoping to not pay the noob tax), movement, mechanics,(how to spot fakes) etc. Also would appreciate any recommendation for me in the NYC area.

Omega Seamaster De ville Crosshair stainless steel

Omega Seamaster De ville Linen Dial stainless steel

Thank you all in advance!

Crosshair dial.PNG LINEN.PNG
    Spruce likes this.
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 1, 2018

3. Dan S Oct 1, 2018

Welcome to OF. You're very wise to lead off by calling your potential purchases "beauties", because that will be read as a challenge by many members, and they will scramble to find flaws. ;)

But seriously, you will probably need to provide more and better photos if you want serious feedback. And make sure to read all of the great threads already posted on Seamaster DeVilles.

Edited Oct 1, 2018
    jimil6911 likes this.
  4. Davidt Oct 1, 2018

DeVilles are great watches that come in a range of dial styles, have solid movements and are reasonably priced sommake a good first vintage watch.

Just be careful as they are prone to being redialled and some rediallers seem to have reasonable good dies so decent pictures are often required to judge.

The unishell cases are a blessing and a curse as they make it harder to get a movement shot from private sellers but also means the movements are less likely to have been hacked at by anyone and everyone.

I have a few, here's my favourite with a sigma dial.

IMG_2079.JPG IMG_2089.JPG

jimil6911 and Dan S like this.
  5. jimil6911 Oct 1, 2018

Thanks for the info! How would I know if it's been redialed? Also, what are the cons of redialed Omegas?

6. jimil6911 Oct 1, 2018

7. jimil6911 Oct 1, 2018

Reading the other threads furiously! I got the pictures off the sites below from a retailer in London... felt like they were extremely overpriced from what I've seen elsewhere even though it's has been rough going trying to find the exact watch.

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/seam...s-steel-manual-watch-rare-dial--id9187586.htm

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/seam...teel-automatic-watch-mint--id9095043.htm#gref

8. jimil6911 Oct 1, 2018

Adding the links

9. Ravineman Oct 1, 2018

Linen dials are awesome but the you need to read and be knowledgeable to avoid the noob tax !

You need to learn how to hunt. And be patient. The watches posted earlier on chrono24 are probably twice but you should pay for one of those watches.

jimil6911 likes this.