Forums Latest Members

Seamaster Chronograph 1962 possible to find a new dial?

1. Leif Sep 29, 2019

Hi,

20 years ago a got a Seamaster chronograph from my (now) late father. He bought it in 1962 to celebrate that he quitted smoking the same day :)

I had a service on it when I got it and it works perfectly. I am not using it, but wind it up every now and then. I think everything is original (please correct me if I am wrong). I guess the band is not Omega original, but it was bought with that band.

However, the dial is a bit damaged (as you can see on the attached picture). Is there any chance to find one? I have tried to search a bit. But it looks like the white dial was not very common, at least not on the chronograph. I have understood that it is possible to get the dial refurbished, but I guess it is better to keep the original even though it looks far from perfect. What do you recommend?

I am very grateful for any information about this watch and where I might find spare parts. The plan is to have it refurbished and start to use it on special occasions :)

Thank you

20190929_200816.jpg 20190929_205051.jpg
  2. jeppehh Sep 29, 2019

I think it’s a wonderful piece you have there.

If I were you I would get the crystal polished and leave it completely as is.

Refinishing the dial would be a shame especially since it’s a family heirloom.

DaveK likes this.
  3. jeppehh Sep 29, 2019

Oh and loose the bracelet :)

DaveK and Spacefruit like this.
  4. vienna Sep 29, 2019

I would give it a new crystal and would not touch the dial, looks great.

kind regards Max

5. aginoz Sep 29, 2019

The watch looks original and in reasonable condition. Finding an original dial in good shape is a long and probably ultimately futile task. Refinishing the dial is IMO never a good option. A refinished dial takes away from the character and originality of the watch. Polishing or even replacing the crystal is where I’d start - that should improve the look. A vintage look strap will also do wonders for it. You have a wonderful, original chrono - enjoy and wear it in good health.

6. aginoz Sep 29, 2019

Oh and if you ever consider parting ways with it - dibs!

JwRosenthal likes this.
  7. JwRosenthal Sep 29, 2019

I think once you get a new crystal or polishing the original crystal and putting it on a proper strap, your feelings about the dial will totally change. It’s actually in great shape compared to many I have seen.
    You can attempt polishing the crystal yourself with Polywatch if your patient- it will remove most of the little scratches that are making the dial look like crap. There are tutorials online on how to do it if you haven’t done it in the past.

DaveK and mydeafcat like this.
  8. Edward53 Sep 30, 2019

Don't touch that dial! Noooo........(goes into movie-style slow motion run with arms clawing the air)

ADD: Polish the scratches out of the crystal, put it on a quality leather strap and it will look ten times better. And if you haven't had it serviced for 20 years, find an independent watchmaker who is sympathetic to vintage watches (do NOT send it to Omega) and get it serviced before wearing it again.

DaveK and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. Leif Sep 30, 2019

Thanks for all the great comments. I promise I won't send the dial for restoration :)
    I just got contact info to a watchmaker in Sweden that fixed an Omega Seamaster De ville for a friend of mine and made a great job. I will try to get in touch with him.
    And I will definitively find a new strap.

Edward53 and larryganz like this.
  10. larryganz The cable guy Sep 30, 2019

Yeah, only service the movement and try to save the dial, hands, and case as is. If the crown and pushers are no longer water resistant, that will be a harder decision about what to do, since just getting rained on could let water into the movement. If the marks on the crystal are not actual cracks then it could be polished up to improve legibility, but some purists don't even want that done.

And thanks for reminding me that while I'm keeping a lookout for an affordable 1962 birth year chronograph that I can also consider a Seamaster, since a Speedmaster from that era would be more than the cost of my car.

JwRosenthal likes this.