Forums Latest Members

1962 Omega Seamaster Chronograph 105.001-62 questions

1. Jpanz Aug 7, 2022

I previously posted what I thought was a 67ish seamaster chronograph. Helpful folks here sent me in the correct direction to help identify. I could not initially get the case back off so had to take it to a jeweler. It appears to be in excellent shape and all functions work. Now, I have a few more questions.

1. The watch was my father's and after he passed, my mother kept it. I do not know the service history but upon opening the case back, there is a bit of writing in black ink. JW 7-02. My guess is that this is an indication that the watch was serviced. Is it a typical practice to put that info on the case back? If not, any ideas? Could it be a poorly written 62?

2. I have the serial number from the movement. Does that provide any additional information about the watch? Is there any kind of resource for that?

3. I believe that someone told me that the face is called radium. I've also seen faces with patina. What are your thoughts based on the pictures?

4. The crystal has a crack on the edge. It is unnoticeable unless you know it is there or are examining it. The jeweler told me that those crystals are hard to find and expensive. I find literally no online sellers for crystals specific to 105.001. Is there another way to search for the correct crystal?

5. I imagine that a cracked crystal has some impact on the value to a collector. I know this is vague but how substantial is the impact?

6. Thoughts on servicing the watch? I understand not to have it refurbished or polished. I've gone to 3 jewelers and 2 told me to take it to omega which I don't plan on doing (unless I should). The other gave me a very vague response about having to see what parts it needs. What would be short of a full service - oiling?

7. And I'm sure you guys will tell me if something is off about the watch. I'm almost certain that it is real and original. Just the way my dad operated. The one thing is I haven't seen one exactly like it with the radium face, hour markers and hands. I've seen other 105.001-62 that are similar but one thing or another will be different. Saw one that had the number 12, different hour markers and hands. One with 12 and different hour markers. One exactly the same but in gold.

Edit. 8. Any Ballpark ideas as to value? I've seen a few online but there isn't much I can find in the way of sale history. Checked eBay sales.

Thanks in advance!
    back.jpg Case back2.JPG movement 2.jpg watch face.jpg

Edited Aug 7, 2022
  2. Donn Chambers Aug 7, 2022

1. The black marks on the case back is a watchmaker’s code for his service. You can’t really know that the 02 stands for 2002. Each watchmaker has their own code.

2. The serial number won’t give you any new information unless you want to purchase an extract from the archives from Omega and get the full info on when the watch was produced and what where it was originally sold. If you intend to keep the watch, it’s really not that useful. But if you intend to sell, it’s a little extra to offer to the buyer for authenticity.

3. Regarding service, you really need to find a watchmaker who is comfortable working in the cal 321 movement (and can source parts). I’m sure someone here can make some recommendations, although you will probably have to ship it. The watchmaker who services will be able to source a crystal for you.

good luck. It’s a nice watch.

3. Nepomuceño Aug 7, 2022

Where are you located? People can jump in and give you recommendations based on where you live.

4. Jpanz Aug 7, 2022

I'm in Tampa Florida.

5. Jpanz Aug 7, 2022

Thanks!

6. Donn Chambers Aug 7, 2022

I live across the Bay in St Pete! Drop me a personal message and I can suggest at least one watchmaker in the area who might help you. But it might also be someone you’ve already tried.

Jpanz likes this.
  7. Jpanz Aug 7, 2022

sent.

8. Davidt Aug 7, 2022

The the dial.

1. 62 was the changeover from radium to tritium. Shortly after the Swiss added ‘T’s’ to the Swiss Made but at first this wasn’t always the case.
    So, your watch falls into a grey area. If I had to guess I’d say radium, but you’ll need a Geiger counter to know for sure.

2. the dial is original.

3. it’s a commonly seen dial variant on these. Probably one of, if not the most common. Still lovely.

4. the crystal isn’t the end of the world. Omega certified watchmakers can get genuine crystals. At a push, you could use a generic but I prefer the real thing where possible.

airansun and Jpanz like this.
  9. mac_omega Aug 7, 2022

The colour of the lume (specially in the hands) makes me think its radium lume. Tritium usually does not age to that brown...

Concerning an extract from the Omega Archives: IMO you will not get an extract as the early cal. 321 movements fall into a batch where Omega does not have records... but you could give it a try, maybe you are lucky.
    IMO there is no need for an extract as you can pin down the aprox. year of production and the whole watch looks original.
    just my 2 cents

MtV, Jpanz and WLW62 like this.
  10. Jpanz Aug 8, 2022

That's very interesting. I wondered what the T was for on similar models. Thanks.

11. airansun In the shuffling madness Aug 8, 2022

Lovely watch, congratulations. Be sure to have it serviced by a watchmaker experienced with 321 chronographs. Here are three 105-001-62s of mine.

B0A33138-FDA3-41C6-9978-04702F22DD19.jpeg 19833401 June 1963
    It was a company’s award to an employee, who apparently didn’t wear it much. I found it here on OF some years ago. I paid over $5k because of its condition.
    35C3F1B8-BCCA-45D8-A98D-8667937ACCFF.jpeg F0EB5359-0E1D-405E-B7F4-3988A81D156C.jpeg

44FAD85C-E2BA-414B-ACB1-A14B220DBB30.jpeg
    19834237 October 1963
    Eleven serial numbers after yours. I do not know if the hands were ever replaced on this one, but other than some plating loss, it’s in pretty decent condition. eBay, also a few years back, for a little over $3k. DA25B457-02C8-4058-8C47-8FC593E3EE62.jpeg

I’m fond of 321 Seamasters. For a while, I was picking up any well priced nice one I found, as nice ones are uncommon.

Asking prices are all over the place. I’ve seen some pretty bad ones listed for $6k+. Anything nice under $3.5k is a deal, I think. For a really nice one, with a pristine dial, it could be $5k+ and worth it. As always, stainless steel is more valuable than gold filled.

“Nice” to me is roughly a little better than “good” on speedmaster101.

I’ve found correct crystals on eBay, as well as other hard to find bits.

My best 105.001-62:
    31D98409-047D-4B3B-9979-15CE42EB6275.jpeg 0CABBC39-6A44-44EE-A1A6-43DEC14D71C5.jpeg B1FF1E3C-DB36-4635-92B1-E630A642A8D0.jpeg FD3491CF-1BA3-4C7D-90D8-97271ADEFACD.jpeg
    Despite the case being a -62, it was assembled in April 1965 and has the T dial. Nearly unworn, to my eyes. With the bracelet, it was a little over $4.5k on eBay three years ago.

Hope this helps and best of luck with yours!

Edited Aug 8, 2022
    Jpanz, Tubber, tamura and 6 others like this.
  12. Jpanz Aug 9, 2022

Those are really great! Can't believe that there is one that close on the serial number.

How did you know that the 62 was assembled in 65? I learned from Davidt above that that they discontinued radium and went to tritium in 62/63. So, I suspect that the hands on your first one and on mine are radium. And those that aren't like those hands are tritium.

I will likely be keeping the watch. As a collector, how significant is service history when purchasing a piece like this?

Thanks for all the info.