seamaster 501 denisteel 4183 crown/stem

Looking for a little help. I'm looking for a replacement crown and stem for a omega denisteel case 4183. 501 cal 1958. If something alternative that would fit from a different model?? Any help is much better thanks.

Do you have a photo of the case?

I’m not familiar with the case, but 501 uses “500 1106” for the stem.

What does the current crown look like if you still have it? Have you measured the crown tube outer diameter?

Do you have a photo of the case?

I’m not familiar with the case, but 501 uses “500 1106” for the stem.

What does the current crown look like if you still have it? Have you measured the crown tube outer diameter?

Yea I still have it. I don't own anything to measure properly unfortunately
DSC_6234.JPG DSC_6233.JPG DSC_6231.JPG DSC_6229.JPG

Just bumping this thread again sorry I'm trying to find a crown for this case I have the steam 0.9mm I'm a proper amateur and I don't know why I decided to buy broken omegas with no stems or crown lol but never again lol. Is there a crown number I can look up ?? Or if anyone can help the size of the case tube is rough 2.48mm wide and 1.75mm length and the old damaged crown is
4.35mm diameter
2.10mm thick
1.34mm what stem screws in
Would be much appreciated thankyou

I have been working with a set of rusted 505 parts. Decades ago I bought a large assortment of parts
Lots of stems.
Not one of them fits the 505 plate. There is a bush or something in the plate which wants a smaller pivot.
I ordered a 500-1106 to see if that fits.

That said I also have publication GF 620-3 which has a lot of appendices and other tables. Some of these are in the archives here.

This table is more for the 550 monocoque case:

IMG_4405.png

There is no similar table for the 500 movements

Other tables detail case and clamps. Stems and crowns are a much case parts as anything else.

These tables have been in circulation for decades. The problem is that there becomes a sort of dogma about them.

Most of these 1950s and early 1960s watches are based on the 470 caliber which is based on the 330 caliber.

So it becomes a challenge to figure out which parts are swappable and which are not.

Sellers these days are consignment estate sellers. They look at these tables and online charts.

Buying wreaked watches takes a lot of research. Such watches are often more expensive than not. And they never save any time or effort.

Like 1
I have been working with a set of rusted 505 parts. Decades ago I bought a large assortment of parts
Lots of stems.
Not one of them fits the 505 plate. There is a bush or something in the plate which wants a smaller pivot.
I ordered a 500-1106 to see if that fits.

That said I also have publication GF 620-3 which has a lot of appendices and other tables. Some of these are in the archives here.

This table is more for the 550 monocoque case:

IMG_4405.png

There is no similar table for the 500 movements

Other tables detail case and clamps. Stems and crowns are a much case parts as anything else.

These tables have been in circulation for decades. The problem is that there becomes a sort of dogma about them.

Most of these 1950s and early 1960s watches are based on the 470 caliber which is based on the 330 caliber.

So it becomes a challenge to figure out which parts are swappable and which are not.

Sellers these days are consignment estate sellers. They look at these tables and online charts.

Buying wreaked watches takes a lot of research. Such watches are often more expensive than not. And they never save any time or effort.

I did purchase a stem for my 501 with was 500 1106. 0.9mm. It does fit and lock in snugly I'm just now trying to find a crown to fit that stem / case.

I would say, you and the rest of the world. But that is being a bit crass and rude.

As noted It takes time and research. I have been at this for some 30 years. Took an 18 year break. There was no online search capability. And most searches were scams until the last decade or so.

If you use the :site tag in giggle, it helps. Here is one I keep in my cache. I only got these parts a few weeks back.

Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 11.55.23 AM.png
I can not post this as a link or else I get an :o emoji.

It takes a lot of time. Hours and hours of fun while waiting for the wrong parts to arrive.

The sellers never bother to read the fine print either.

Crown hunting is an active sport. There are no shortcuts to it.

Like 1
I would say, you and the rest of the world. But that is being a bit crass and rude.

As noted It takes time and research. I have been at this for some 30 years. Took an 18 year break. There was no online search capability. And most searches were scams until the last decade or so.

If you use the :site tag in giggle, it helps. Here is one I keep in my cache. I only got these parts a few weeks back.

Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 11.55.23 AM.png
I can not post this as a link or else I get an :eek: emoji.

It takes a lot of time. Hours and hours of fun while waiting for the wrong parts to arrive.

The sellers never bother to read the fine print either.

Crown hunting is an active sport. There are no shortcuts to it.

Ohh yea I totally understand it probably 100% easier now then back in the day. It's just a waiting game. I'm in no rush as I'm just add to my collection have around 35 old omegas now. Only started 6 months ago but I'm addicted lol

But it's also the fact that I don't really know what I'm looking for. Probably going to hurt some feelings but it doesn't need to be genuine just want it oem look or just working. Don't really want to spend £150+ on a Crown

Yeah it is easy to get addicted.

I have been breeding landeron cronographs.

I only have a dozen or so Omega's Most which I purchaced 25 to 30 years ago. Like most purebreads they tend to become inbread and do not have the same rate as the other rabbits do.

My weakness is parts assortments. Always has been. Nothing exites me more than a collection of loose parts to assemble.

There is an estate seller currently selling omega parts assortments. This has awakened my interest in old projects.

Be glad you are not playing with Valjoux or Lemania chronographs. One part can cost as much as a cheap watch.

The subtle difference in a part number can make for a lot of wasted cash and effort. Sellers do not bother with differences lke Val-23 vs Val-22 or val-24. They just know the magic number generates bids. (or else the parts sit listed for years.)

I am sure you know about the material houses like OFrie. Jules Borrell, Essinger and watchmaterials.com(Paylak) In the UK there is cousins. These were the "middlemen" selling to the trade. Now we have eliminated the middleman. So in thieir last gasp they grudgingly sell to the 'general public.' And gross about how the factories no longer will sell bulk parts to them.

Oh and another thing about crowns. Prior to about a decade back, factories sold 'raw' movements to anyone to make a watch with. So there are lots of locally cased movements. With lots of variation.

Research, Research Research. There is no other way.

Ohh yea I bet there's a lot of money people were making until they stop supplying parts. Only really into omega at the moment but do have a bulova accutron 214 which needs Looking at but it all started after my grandfather gave me his it's omega needs few parts and a good service but it's sentimental and that what made me buy them. I honestly don't really wear watchs but I just love looking at them all thinking about the history they've all had some, I pick up cheap and just flip on eBay to put towards something better and so on. But yes it very addictive think I have around 26 I'll probably stop in 40. Nice round number lol.

Like 1
And yes I'm very new and leaning every day this forum is amazing with loads of very knowledgeable people.im often just reading about different things people are talking about

Like 1