Seamaster 300M now or wait?

Hello, I have encountered a dilemma and would like some insight if anyone knows. I am aware that some people have contacts within Omega so hopefully someone has heard something...

In a couple of months I was planning on acquiring my first Omega which I wanted for many years - a Seamaster 300M.

However, following yesterday's announcement of Spirate, I am thinking that perhaps I should wait until the Spirate is introduced in the Seamaster line...

It is not a very big deal, but that said, I would be very disappointed if I bought one now and within a few months or a year they introduced the Spirate on the Seamasters. Considering it was shown as part of an automatic movement, the transition shouldn't be too hard (if it hasn't been done already). Also, Seamaster is their most popular automatic watch, so if the Spirate is heading somewhere first, I would bet it's the Seamaster.

Thoughts?
Edited:

No one knows when this will happen. I beleive that Omega now will start the next update circle, maybe stating with Planet Ocean followed by AT, SMP and maybe the Moonwatch at the end of the line. I think you will have to wait 3-4 years before you see a new SMP with all the new technical stuff.

“I’m not going to buy this damn Speedmaster, even though I have lusted for one for many years. I’ll bet ya there will be a “new and improved” version at some point in the future. I think I’m gonna wait a few more years and see what happens.”
- Said no one, ever

Four years after I bought my 1861, the 3861 came along. Do I wish I had waited all that time for the (arguably) latest and greatest version? No way…

My advice: buy yourself a beautiful Omega Seamaster 300m now and and enjoy it! Why deprive yourself of the watch you have “wanted for many years”? You could be wearing it right now. Life is short, my friend.

(PS: I have the white dial and I love it!)

My 1 year old 300M runs +2 right now ... buy the watch, enjoy the watch.

“I’m not going to buy this damn Speedmaster, even though I have lusted for one for many years. I’ll bet ya there will be a “new and improved” version at some point in the future. I think I’m gonna wait a few more years and see what happens.”
- Said no one, ever

Four years after I bought my 1861, the 3861 came along. Do I wish I had waited all that time for the (arguably) latest and greatest version? No way…

My advice: buy yourself a beautiful Omega Seamaster 300m now and and enjoy it! Why deprive yourself of the watch you have “wanted for many years”? You could be wearing it right now. Life is short, my friend.

(PS: I have the white dial and I love it!)

Yeah I agree. My main thought is whether this point in the future will be years or a few months. If it's the former then no question; white dial Seamaster and never looking back. But if it's the latter then that's a different story. I'd be disappointed if I bought one now and then 6 months later an improved Spirate version was released at a slightly higher price . I am only overthinking about when this "point in the future" would be.

On the other hand, even if the Spirate version Seamaster released tomorrow at a significant price increase, no thanks.

Unless you are into the whole tech of the Spirate thingy, get the current one if you really like it for what it is. When the new one comes along, it probably won't look as good as the current ones. Though looks and taste is indeed subjective. But if you are truly into the current ones, just go for it. Don't wait. Life is short. Go for it.

I was in a similar dilemma 3 years ago when I was thinking of buying the SM300MC that I was lusting for. By 2020, that model was already 6 years old. I knew an update for it was gonna happen sooner or later. I ended up buying it of course. And about a year or so later, they updated the SM300MC with the current heritage ones with the cutout numerals and an aluminium dial. Did I regret getting the previous one? Nope. I'm glad I got the previous one because I feel it looks better than the newer ones. The ceramic bezel alone is stunning on the previous one. Maybe it will be the same for the current SMP for you, who knows.

The current version is ridiculously accurate as it is (as far as automatic watches go). I also suspect it will take years to incorporate the new technology into all lines. Think about how long it has taken Omega to get the new Aqua Terra's and Speedy 57's into the market. And those had actually been announced. Delay, delay, delay...

My vote is for you to get the current 300m without waiting.

Agree with what’s been said. Note that even the new racing speedy just announced isn’t yet available and won’t be (from what I gather) for months. And even then, who knows how easy it’ll be to get. Point is: even if they announced an update to the SM300P tomorrow (which they won’t do), you could still be waiting months or years to get one.

Bird in the hand.

As others have said, buy the 300m now. The timing on it with normal wear will likely be really close to 0-2 sec/day anyway, so why wait (and likely pay more) for a minor time-keeping improvement?

FWIW, my Seamaster 300 averages < 1 sec/day if I wear it every day. Even if a new model came out tomorrow with this new aspirate system, I wouldn’t trade “up.”

Get it now. You know several years from now it'll be 47mm diameter and 20mm thick and weigh half a pound. Everyone will hate it.

Seriously though, the current models are plenty accurate - impressively so - and will serve you well. Should get one before the prices increase, or have they? The Spirate system is a remarkable technical achievement but I don't see it as a must-have right now. The current movements are great.

I'd try to get the darn thing before the February price jump. That new Racing is like 11K. You will never again see the tech, luxury, and refinement at around 5k like you do in the current 300M.

FWIW, I’ve been the proud wonder of a new SMP 300m for two weeks now. As at today, I’m running 2 seconds fast in total (time gain per day is tiny fractions of a second). No Spirate needed.

Spirate is a nice improvement for sure, but not enough to make me wait for it. Plus, you can bet that if the SMP300 sees it, the price will go up. Get the SMP now, you won't regret it.

impossible to know. Some of the Internet glitterati are even writing about the likelihood of a new bracelet coming. Who knows? I dithered way too long before I bought my first seamaster and now, I am so impressed with the daily use of the watch, I can’t imagine why I waited. I like it so much that, actually, I now have two ….because, this is normal, right… People buy different colors of the exact same watch all the time, right… Right… RIGHT???!!!? 😀

For what it’s worth, my advice is to go right ahead and just buy and enjoy what is a wonderful watch ….Whatever the future brings, the watch you'll buy is a classic wonder that, for me, fits wonderfully into my modest collection.

I'd like a Speedmaster bracelet option. That'd be neat but the current non-tapering five-link Bond is nice.

I'd like a Speedmaster bracelet option. That'd be neat but the current non-tapering five-link Bond is nice.

I agree about the bond bracelet! The biggest surprise of owning my first 300M was how much I love the bracelet. The web-posting world seemed to be all about the taper. For a reasonably big guy with not too big a wrist ( just under 7"), I find the damn thing to be very, very, very comfortable. I love the way it adjusts so much.

Just buy the damn thing. Who cares about Spirate 😕

AT15000gauss was introduced 10 years ago and still today some models have not the antimagnetic technology yet. Most probably the update of the sea master with the new system will happen at next refresh of the model. Keep in mind also that any new technology brings risks and surprises. Better choose a nice watch, with proven technology, and excellent precision and that is available today like the SM300.

I just pulled the trigger on a white dial Seamaster yesterday, my first Omega. Today I grabbed an OEM rubber strap off the sales forum here.