Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 120 (135.027) I inherited from my grandfather

1. GodDog30 Nov 30, 2019

Hello! I'm new here. I recently inherited this watch from my late grandfather.

20191125_193639.jpg

Background

He bought it some time in the 60s and wore it every day of his life thereafter. It's the manual movement without date (135.027).

I don't know where he got this band or what he did with the original. I know not many people are a fan of these twist-o-flex bands but right now I'm not looking to change it as it reminds me of my grandpa.

Servicing

I'm not sure if it's ever been serviced. If I had to guess, I don't think my grandpa would have serviced it unless it stopped working. I know my aunt brought it to someone for him about 10 years ago because it had stopped working. But I don't know much more than that.

I do plan on getting it serviced, I'm just not sure where yet. I'm located in Toronto, Canada and I checked the Omega website's Find a Service Centre and it suggested The Swatch Group Canada in Toronto. What's the general consensus: is it best to take it to one of these official service centres, or are there other watchmakers that may even do a better job at a more affordable price? Speaking of which, I know it's impossible to tell how much it will cost to service my watch, but how much am I looking at roughly?

Condition

I really like it and would like to wear it daily, however it is a little tattered. Aside from all the nicks and scratches there's a bit of gunk in the wristband and in the nooks and crannies of the watch. What's the best way to clean this up?

Advice

This is my first mechanical watch and I don't know all that much about them. If someone could point out the dos and don'ts and any other general advice and info it would be appreciated.

I wound it yesterday morning but when I woke up this morning it had stopped during the middle of the night which leads me to believe that I'm not winding it properly. Do you always wind clockwise? I know you should stop when you feel "resistance" but how much resistance is "resistance?" What about setting the time -- are you only supposed to do that if the watch is stopped?

20191125_192045.jpg 20191125_192030.jpg 20191125_192141.jpg 20191125_192233.jpg

Etp095 and Spruce like this.
  2. Shabbaz Nov 30, 2019

Dont wind it anymore. Send it to a watchmaker who is familiar with vintage watches. Somebody will point you in the right direction. He will clean the case and give the movement a service. Than wear the heck out of it. Wind it every morning when waking up and stop when you feel a bit of resistance. Count the times you wind. Often 20/25 times is ok for one day for a 135027. But count it so you know. Enjoy

And yes, clockwise. And you can set the time always. Back or forward no problem.

Edited Nov 30, 2019
  3. wagudc Nov 30, 2019

The watch has a beautiful patina and a family history. I would have it serviced by an independent watchmaker with an Omega parts account. The general advice here is to not send vintage watches to Omega as they will not preserve vintage parts. If you let us know what part of the world you live in folks here can recommend a good watchmaker.

Also, if it were mine I would replace the expando-band. Perhaps you could find a vintage Omega bracelet for it.

Walrus likes this.
  4. Walrus Nov 30, 2019

Beautiful what a great memento from your grandfather. I’ll just reiterate what the gentleman above said about changing that bracelet I’ve picked up a few vintage pieces that had those expandable bracelets and the can damage the lugs. Very nice piece you can take care of it and hand it down to another generation

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 30, 2019

Our very own @Archer. You don’t need to worry about customs.

kkt likes this.
  6. wagudc Nov 30, 2019

DaveK and GodDog30 like this.
  7. GodDog30 Nov 30, 2019

So I shouldn't wear until I get it serviced?
    What's the point of counting the wind? Just so I know how much it should typically take to wind it?
    What's the best way to find someone familiar with vintage omega watches?

8. GodDog30 Nov 30, 2019

How do I find one? I'm located in Toronto, Canada

9. GodDog30 Nov 30, 2019

All expando bracelets can damage the lugs?
    The expando bracelet is nostalgic for me because that's how I remember my grandfather with it, so I'm hesitant to part with it.

10. steveb73 Nov 30, 2019

Lovely watch that I'm sure has a lot of special memories for you!
    I imagine the problem with expando bracelets is the parts that expand outwards to fill in the gap between the lugs are always rubbing against the inner surface of the lugs causing wear. Saying that, the watch is 50 years old and it looks fine so if you like it, use it. Just be aware it will be slowly scratching away at the metal.

GodDog30 likes this.
  11. Shabbaz Nov 30, 2019

Because of the fact the watch stopped working during the night it tells you it's in need of a service. Till then I would not wear the watch. Some people wind a handwinder to strong without stopping when feeling resistance. With this you can damage the movement. That's why I dont wind my watches till the end. But it should'nt be a problem as long as you dont push it when feeling resistance. Anyway, I assume we have some members in Canada. I did not know @Archer is there as well. He is a member here. Send him a PM and he will help you. He's really helpfull with these matters. And he's a excellent watchmaker. Good luck!

Muddlerminnow and wagudc like this.
  12. wagudc Nov 30, 2019

As others have said send Archer a PM. He is well respected watchmaker in your area. If the band has not damaged the lugs in all this time, you will be fine.

GodDog30 likes this.
  13. GodDog30 Dec 1, 2019

Good to know, thanks. If I want to take the band off the watch to clean it, can I? Is it a fragile mechanism, or is it the same as any other watch?

14. GodDog30 Dec 1, 2019

What do you mean you don't wind your watches til the end?
    Thanks for the suggestion! I will message Archer

wagudc likes this.
  15. Shabbaz Dec 1, 2019

I mean with the end. Untill I feel resistence.