Seamaster 1000 166.093 intro and tips

Hello!

To introduce myself, I live in London, UK, and have been a big fan of diving watches for longer than I care to remember - including my fair share of Sea Dwellers, Seiko Tuna, 42MAS, Scurfas and so on. My first Omega was the X33 Skywalker.

I'm considering an Omega Seamaster 1000 166.093 and trying to learn more about them. I've read up on them here, as well as on https://www.omegaseamaster1000.com and elsewhere. My conclusion is that it's all a bit of a minefield.

I fully understand the charm of bubble dials, blackened lume, cracked bezels and pentagonal ten-minute markers, and I would never want to be the one responsible for 'ruining’ a 100% original untouched watch. Still, I'm perhaps unusual (or maybe not serious) as a watch collector in that I’m okay with original watches that have been serviced/updated over time using original Omega service parts. Particularly if this makes them less expensive/delicate to wear than the true museum pieces (there's actually the same debate in the world of classic Land Rovers, where beaten-up, dented models with patina are much more desired than concourse restorations).

But it would still be good to have a watch with something original at the core rather than a pure 'Frankenwatch' made up only of service parts, as so many of the Omega Seamaster 1000s for sale seem to be.

So, to cut a long story short, I'm really seeking advice from the amazingly knowledgeable people here:

- What is the minimum amount of originality that you’d think differentiates a used, updated watch from a parts-bin recreation?
- If I’m right in assuming it is the movement, is that what Omega used to verify originality when providing archive extracts? Am I correct that Omega has recently stopped providing them?
Am I right in presuming that Omega service records mean relatively little and that Omega will service any relevant movement even if it was not originally installed in an Omega Seamaster 1000?
- If I am looking at some watches online or in the sales forum here, is there anyone who might be willing to help give me a second opinion? Should I post it here, or does everyone get fed up with idiotic 'is this real' posts?
- any other tips/resources for navigating the minefield? I’ve read about case shapes, crown protectors, brushing directions, case stamps, dial and bezel markings and so on, but still, maybe it's just too tricky for a non-expert to navigate…

Thank you very much, and I really appreciate your time and counsel!

Like 3
Mine says you Hello ,

for the 1000’s many of them when the extract of archives are requested you can get 3 answer’s

1) YES
2) YES but your serial refer to something else
3) NO because the archives where destroyed or unreadable .

Answer 1 very few
Answer 2 A Lot
Answer 3 for serial around 71-73 only

you have to be vigilent on the Bakelite Bezel

Like 2
Bakelite bezel should be a I for the I0 not 10 also in terms of dial at the date window the luminous at 15:00 should not touch the date windows = service dial from tritium to luminova.

hands also if the minute hands with the age should be more yellow than orange for the hour hands the rarer is the bluthound hour hand is the rarer , after that you will find cases over used and others refinished is up to you , also a round edge on the bracelet space means service case or Frankenstein watch .

And finally the leach bracelet is longer than the usual mesh and the buckle is also a specific numbering .

If you can find a correct one ( a perfect one will be difficult )

enjoy the hunt

Paul

Like 1
enjoy the hunt
Thanks Paul - this is all incredibly helpful, these tips are exactly what I was hoping for. Did you write from the poolside? The watch is looking great there. Hello from rainy London town!

Hello!

To introduce myself, I live in London, UK, and have been a big fan of diving watches for longer than I care to remember - including my fair share of Sea Dwellers, Seiko Tuna, 42MAS, Scurfas and so on. My first Omega was the X33 Skywalker.

I'm considering an Omega Seamaster 1000 166.093 and trying to learn more about them. I've read up on them here, as well as on https://www.omegaseamaster1000.com and elsewhere. My conclusion is that it's all a bit of a minefield.

I fully understand the charm of bubble dials, blackened lume, cracked bezels and pentagonal ten-minute markers, and I would never want to be the one responsible for 'ruining’ a 100% original untouched watch. Still, I'm perhaps unusual (or maybe not serious) as a watch collector in that I’m okay with original watches that have been serviced/updated over time using original Omega service parts. Particularly if this makes them less expensive/delicate to wear than the true museum pieces (there's actually the same debate in the world of classic Land Rovers, where beaten-up, dented models with patina are much more desired than concourse restorations).

But it would still be good to have a watch with something original at the core rather than a pure 'Frankenwatch' made up only of service parts, as so many of the Omega Seamaster 1000s for sale seem to be.

So, to cut a long story short, I'm really seeking advice from the amazingly knowledgeable people here:

- What is the minimum amount of originality that you’d think differentiates a used, updated watch from a parts-bin recreation?
- If I’m right in assuming it is the movement, is that what Omega used to verify originality when providing archive extracts? Am I correct that Omega has recently stopped providing them?
Am I right in presuming that Omega service records mean relatively little and that Omega will service any relevant movement even if it was not originally installed in an Omega Seamaster 1000?
- If I am looking at some watches online or in the sales forum here, is there anyone who might be willing to help give me a second opinion? Should I post it here, or does everyone get fed up with idiotic 'is this real' posts?
- any other tips/resources for navigating the minefield? I’ve read about case shapes, crown protectors, brushing directions, case stamps, dial and bezel markings and so on, but still, maybe it's just too tricky for a non-expert to navigate…

Thank you very much, and I really appreciate your time and counsel!

Hello,
here is a link which is very informative, shows how to tell you exactly what to look for. Feel free to contact me if you have further questions. I have had probably about 6 or so of this model watch, some service part watches, some original and some with both.
Best
Doug

https://www.omegaseamaster1000.com/

Hello,
here is a link which is very informative, shows how to tell you exactly what to look for. Feel free to contact me if you have further questions. I have had probably about 6 or so of this model watch, some service part watches, some original and some with both.
Best
Doug

https://www.omegaseamaster1000.com/

For me, observe - for me, mine hits the sweet spot. It has an original and used, but not abused, case and its original movement. Older service dial, bezel, and hands. This makes it a user. I do not have to pamper it as I would have done if it was all original and untouched. It gets service regularly and I use it for boating and snorkling/diving.

Would I want a untouched original 1000m? Of course. But for other reasons than using it. I am a collector after all...

48030978401_1ad00d9df9_h.jpg

48031081927_25e549139d_k.jpg

48031016638_57db91c91f_h.jpg

48031016548_f1f33072b9_k.jpg

48030978371_8d110145e7_h.jpg

48030978521_ce4b68b574_h.jpg

40316942763_aa94b02907_b.jpg

This one - not nearly as valuable - I do not use for anything other than desk diving as it is in crazy nice original condition.

29223928042_6ab5ccea2b_o.jpg

Like 2
Great watches @styggpyggeno1

Your Omega is something along the lines I was thinking of - a watch which does have some history, not a 100% recreation, but has had some service parts over time. Not fit for a museum or a 'serious' collector, but wearable.

And that Certina is beautiful - such an under-the-radar brand with real history, including the Tektite II programme!

I've been looking for a original 1000 for a long time and did not find a nice one.
But then I had the opportunity to buy these. At first glance I wasn't sure what it was but it turned out to be something very special.

IMG_0838.JPGIMG_0839.JPGIMG_0841.JPG

Like 1