Scratched Lugs at Omega Boutique

I took my new Speedy Sapphire Sandwich to have the bracelet changed to the nylon with deployant clasp at the local Omega Boutique. The watch was purchased at an AD/Boutique elsewhere. I did buy the new strap and deployant from the local OB.

During the sizings, they managed to scratch my lugs which I didn’t really look for until I got home later. I have bought multiple straps from the local OB.

I brought back and they attempted to clean up but the watch tech said they were too deep. He offered to send the watch off for service to get refinished properly and give me a loaner watch OR a credit for $900 on the future service of an Omega watch in which the scratches would be fixed anyway and the whole watch would be serviced. The OB said because I didn’t purchase from them, they couldn’t exchange.

I think the $900 future service credit on any Omega service is decent. Still annoyed about the scratches. I want to push about getting an allocation for a Silver Snoopy.

Thoughts?

They're not going to give you an allocation for a Silver Snoopy for scratched lugs, assuming they are even still producing those watches. $900 service credit for scratched lugs is beyond generous. I would take the offer and run.

In the future, make sure the on-site watchmaker does the strap changes. When the salespeople do it, they usually end up scratched.

Like 5
I wouldn’t ask for an allocation for a watch you’re never likely to get—that’s worth nothing. $900 is worth… $900. More than generous. Are the scratches on the underside of the lugs? If so this is a great deal. Where’s this OB? I’ve got a few lugs they can scratch, and I’ll settle for $700.

Like 13
Wish I could get a $900 service credit for all the lugs I’ve scratched. ;)

That is beyond fair, so take it.

Like 2
I agree to take the $900 service credit and run. If changing straps all the time it’s bound to eventually pick up a few scratches. No big deal.

Like 1
Underside is where the scratches are… I am not upset. More annoyed. Just asking for feedback…. Especially if anyone had something similar happen. The $900 seems fair to me.

Underside is where the scratches are… I am not upset. More annoyed. Just asking for feedback…. Especially if anyone had something similar happen. The $900 seems fair to me.

This is the first time in the long time that I have been a forum member, that I have heard of an OB a)admitting they are responsible and b) offering any kind of recompense without a huge amount of effort on the watch owners part.

$900 seems like a pretty good deal as long as you can live with the scratches for the moment.

Like 2
It’s crazy generous, as already said accept the only offer on the table.

The $900 credit is OK but what if you don't keep the watch that long? I would have them send it out and fix it now. Have them give you something NICE as a loaner.

The $900 credit is OK but what if you don't keep the watch that long? I would have them send it out and fix it now. Have them give you something NICE as a loaner.

He said the service credit can be applied to any Omega watch---doesn't have to be this one. It's a good deal.

I know it's nice when new things look brand new all around, but watches pick up scratches---in a few weeks, most likely, he's going to have far more visible scratches on the watch. Underside of the lugs?---soon enough he's probably not going to care at all. I've never had a watch that didn't have scratches on the underside of the lugs, whether caused by others or by me. How much do you care about what the underside of your car looks like? Or the soles of your shoes? Maybe a little bit, but more than $900 of caring? Doubtful.

Most SAs---if they were going to do anything at all---would have made the far more sensible choice of offering him the strap they were attaching for free. Depending on the strap, that might have been a $200 to $500 compensation. (Didn't bother to price out the one he mentioned.) Instead they're offering him coverage for a future out-of-warranty intervention, and it's enough to cover the full service cost for any Omega watch (with the only exception being a precious-metal chronograph---and even there, it's more than 80% covered).

This is a no-brainer. And I don't think they're going to give him a brand new 321 or something as a loaner. I suspect their loaner watches will be Seamaster divers that have plenty of scratches on them.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a watch resized by an AD that didn’t get scratched.

Like 2
Appreciate everyone’s input. The $900 credit with Omega on a future service for any Omega watch and a spot on the Snoopy wait list seem very good to me. This is what they have done.

The OB definitely went above and beyond IMO. I'd gladly take that.
Seconded!
Appreciate everyone’s input. The $900 credit with Omega on a future service for any Omega watch and a spot on the Snoopy wait list seem very good to me. This is what they have done.
They offered the credit and the allocation?!?! Where is this OB and who is the sales associate? I have some bracelets and straps that need a changing...;)

Like 6
Dang. My OB scratched my lugs the one time I took it in for a scratch change. Didnt complain or anything. Just decided to do the changes myself going forward. $900 credit? And supposedly Snoopy allocation? Thats nice. I'll take another scratch please!

I don’t think I’ve ever had a watch resized by an AD that didn’t get scratched.
I would never ask one of those idiots to resize a bracelet or even change a strap. You're just asking for the screw-heads to be messed up and the lugs gouged.

I would never ask one of those idiots to resize a bracelet or even change a strap. You're just asking for the screw-heads to be messed up and the lugs gouged.

Completely agree. If buying a new bracelet or strap from an AD they always want to install it but I now insist that I’ll do it myself at home.