Forums Latest Members

Rude seller/dealer or is it just me?

1. WatchCor Sep 1, 2019

Hi all,

I achieved a big professional milestone at the start of this year and have been saving and looking for a suitable "achievement/memory" watch to go with the occasion. I narrowed down the models I was considering and then found a few suitable pieces that I wanted more info on. All of them were online.

I contacted the first seller and the whole convo went as follows:
    Screenshot_20190901-152424__01.jpg

My question is this: was my initial contact aggresive or somehow a red flag for a online "window shopper" or was this seller just plain rude and unprofessional?

They are listed as a trusted seller on C24.

Looking for some opinions on this so that my next give convo doesn't go like this also. I am genuinely astonished at this response. Perhaps there is a language barrier as neither me or the seller are native english speakers.

Thoughts?

2. JanV Sep 1, 2019

Well, look at it this way, you got at least an answer. :) I’we sent out some requests that never got any response to at all. I do think it has a lot to do with language barriers, and dealers don’t think they’re capable to answer the customers questions, especially if the deal moves on towards closing it. Try the google translate, this has actually worked for me contacting small French watch stores.

3. Ville_W Sep 1, 2019

Well, you can delete this seller from your list. I can of course understand that some sellers due to e.g. high volume or using external photographers may hesitate to take extra photos if they already have provide high quality pictures. But if so they can simply explain that in a polite way.

WatchCor likes this.
  4. shishy www.hpmor.com Sep 1, 2019

English might not be their first language...

connieseamaster and WatchCor like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 1, 2019

reply with.

Do you have a store in ( your country ) as I am interested in purchasing the watch.

chronos, wristpirate, DaveK and 3 others like this.
  6. M'Bob Sep 1, 2019

Look elsewhere. Plenty of great dealers and great watches out there so don't aggravate yourself. Parting with your money should be easy...

DaveK, marco, Syrte and 1 other person like this.
  7. Rochete Sep 1, 2019

In such cases I just look elsewhere.

Davidt likes this.
  8. WatchCor Sep 1, 2019

Thx all for the input.

Yeah, quite understandable but in this case there were only 6 wide angle photos with no movement photo. At least the movement shot is a must. I would have preferred closeups cl the dial and lugs in addition.

Yeah, indeed. They are not making this a pleasant experience. So I think I will look elsewhere.

9. JwRosenthal Sep 1, 2019

What watch are you looking for- maybe the members here can help you find a good example from a trusted seller

89-0 and WatchCor like this.
  10. WatchCor Sep 1, 2019

The models I narrowed it down to are:

Daytona 16520 (zenith) Black Dial
    GMT Pepsi 1675 , gilt
    Heuer Camaro (7743 + tachyring , no date, black dial)

Edited Sep 1, 2019
  11. Braindrain Sep 1, 2019

Completely agree. Since you're looking at vintage, completely normal to ask for mvmt shots. Even if English isn't their first language, Google translate is there.

I think they just don't want to bother.

12. JwRosenthal Sep 1, 2019

Both the Pepsi and Camaro’s have surfaced on the FS threads here within the last 6 months (5 Camaro’s and 6 GMT’s) . Be patient and keep looking here and your watch will pop up

DaveK, WatchCor and connieseamaster like this.
  13. henrikaa Sep 1, 2019

I would say the same; find another seller who is willing to support you in making your purchase pleasant and worthwhile.

WatchCor likes this.
  14. Ninja2789 Sep 1, 2019

Some really great examples you're looking for with some very different prices. As others have said, the word of watch sellers is wide and vast. You can clarify with them that no offense was meant if you want but no need to waste time.

For my own opinions, while there have been a lot of great 1675 lately, I'd say there haven't been that many excellent Gilt dial variants that have come up. Additionally, the premium for Gilt dials makes the secondary market fraught with minefields. I'd probably recommend dealing with only either notably dealer who can help navigate these things or an established seller.

Heuer Camaros, on the other hand, are one of my favorite watches and you do see some excellent examples show up. I would recommend you wait and look for one of the exotic dial variants. There have been a few exceptional pieces that I've seen hit IG. DM me and I'm more than happy to send your way.

WatchCor likes this.
  15. WatchCor Sep 1, 2019

Yeah, you can do a first impression only once. They failed at it. Still not sure how else I should have asked for additional photos and info. Or is it normal for people just to "order" multithousand dollar watches on a few pictures?

I agree 100% , it is truly a minefield there. There more I read about them, the more nervous I become about purchasing one. If I ever purchase one of these it will definitely be from a established dealer that I trust.

Luckily Camaros are underrated and prices haven't soared like the two others. Its a beautiful model with a unique case. Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it.:)

16. JwRosenthal Sep 1, 2019

Last I checked, you as a buyer have the power- you have the cash in hand. Unless you are looking for a one-of-a-kind example, there are always others (these were produced in great numbers) and the sellers need to remember this.
    The Rolex collecting world has shown us crazy-town over the last few years- just remember- it’s a hunk of steel with gears inside, not the last Epi pen on earth.

DaveK, JanV, jeppehh and 1 other person like this.
  17. jsducote Sep 2, 2019

Reads to me like a language-barrier issue. Some people don't respond well (even without a language-barrier) to multiple questions, so perhaps start with just one at a time.

18. WatchCor Sep 2, 2019

Good point, might come across as aggressive or something. It seems so because a quite similar situation is playing out with the next dealer I contacted. This time though they just don't reply at all. :rolleyes: FFS I didn't imagine parting with my money would this difficult:thumbsdown:

DaveK likes this.
  19. kkt Sep 2, 2019

Are these sellers on Chrono24? It seems like there are a lot who are happier to sell to less aware buyers. Even if they get less money per watch, maybe they make it up on volume.

WatchCor likes this.
  20. Dr. Skridlow Sep 2, 2019

@WatchCor - I don't think you were being rude in the least. It goes without saying, but as a buyer you need to be 100% confident in the seller and what you are purchasing. One of the first things I learned in OF is "Don't buy the watch, buy the seller." Sure, there might be times when language can play a role, but it should not be too difficult for the seller to provide what you are seeking - that is if they are serious about making a sale. My point is, it is perfectly acceptable to ask for the information you need to make an informed decision. If the seller isn't willing to provide it, move on to someone who is.

kkt, DaveK and WatchCor like this.