Forums Latest Members
  1. BrianPankow Apr 2, 2020

Hello everyone on this wonderful forum. Had to list some the things I like: Remarkable knowledge and the willingness to help those who are new, no pop ups!!!, younger folks involved in the forum, it goes on forever (I’ve been trying to go through each thread from finish to start. I think I have a few years before I finish. Every day I see what’s new in my areas of interest), tests on my knowledge. (Can I answer the question asked by a member.) It goes on. It is great fun and very educational.

Oh, yes! Is it just me? I know the type of watch I like when I see it. I cruse the sales sites and stop when I see something that catches my eye and give it a closer examination. They may be the odd item or a Frankenwhatever. Am I wrong for deviating from the collectors for whom everything must be perfect, NOS, right out of the box.....?

My concern is that if I like and purchase items that are not ‘originally’ perfect is it hurting the market for those that do require that pristine item. Possibly inflating the price of those perfect watches.

Any comments are appreciated.

The pic:
    The only running watch I don’t have in my wear/carry rotation. It was made in 1799 and I know more about its history than any of the other 30 watches I own. D132A38C-0614-4C22-8E8F-89E0E504F251.jpeg

kkt, murph and Vitezi like this.
  2. Canuck Apr 2, 2020

I find it odd that many who post on this board are of the opinion that a watch was meant to be worn, so full speed ahead, and damn the torpedoes. In many cases, after years of neglect and abuse, the owner has fallen in love with the watch, and ,too late, has decided they want it “restored”. They have succeeded it beating the watch down to the point that it is likely cannot be repaired, or is not worth repair, or otherwise would not interest a discerning buyer were it to be offered for sale. I believe that a “restored” watch is not likely ever going to be as “perfect” as one that has just been unwrapped. So we are left with our choices.......somewhere between right out of the box, and what it left of a used one after it has suffered years of neglect and abuse. In a recent submission to this message board, a proud owner of a 100 year old wrist watch tells of how he had to accumulate parts out of three or four donor watches, in order to end up with the really nice watch that he now enjoys. Not a lot of folks have that kind of dedication.

Unless a person is buying a new watch, how much less than perfect must a watch be before we decide whether to buy or not, is a personal decision. Perfect or otherwise, my main focus is whether a watch is interesting or not. I am happy with one that is less than perfect if I find it interesting, but I won’t buy abused watches. However, there are exceptions there, too. An Omega that I enjoy today, was acquired as a basket case. The difference between the Omega that I originally acquired, and the Omega I enjoy today, is night and day.

Vitezi, OMEGuy, lindo and 1 other person like this.
  3. Professor Apr 3, 2020

One of the cheapest watches I own is also one of the best I've seen.
    A Indian refurb of uncertain origin, without any adjustment by me it consistently keeps time to within 1 second + every five days.
    My next best is a Soviet era Pobeda accurate to -2 seconds per seven day week.
    I still wear my other more distinguished looking watches but I'm always a little disappointed when one of these is only accurate to within two seconds per day or four seconds per day.
    I'm sure I can adjust my Midlands to be a bit better than it is now, a consistent + four seconds per day. Only gave up trying because the darn indicator is very tiny and the tip rounded so its very difficult to know when you've moved it too far and have to start over again.
    Still that small elegant 25 jewel movement is a wonderment.

In a way its a shame that should I have to chose only one watch to use in a survival situation that $12 Indian refurb would be my only logical choice.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 3, 2020

There’s folks out there who just want their daily companion restored. Rolex probably gets dozens back per day for this purpose. VC, JLC, PP and some others offer restoration services. We have examples on OF and they are stunning.

5. BrianPankow Apr 3, 2020

Thank you all for the comments.

Every now and then while cruising sales sites I’ll see a watch that definitely doesn’t look like it did when it came out of the box, but I say to myself, “If Omega, UG, etc hadn’t made that they should have.”