Forums Latest Members

Review of Omega Seamaster 300 "Big Triangle" from 1968

1. JPE_2112 Nov 9, 2022

One more review... of a 1968 Omega SM 300. Spectacular watch indeed.

Enjoy. And feel free to comment.

LINK TO THE REVIEW

[​IMG]

hansaboy, Ogion and duc like this.
  2. EdisonM Nov 9, 2022

The bezel seems a too perfect for a watch from the late 60s.

3. JPE_2112 Nov 10, 2022

Aa... here we have the real expert. Not only "Edison" developed electric power generation... he's also a great detective too.

So what are you trying to say, mr. Watson... oops Edison? That watch is a fake?

If you read the review you'd know that it's owned by the official Omega service in Finland and one of the most reputable watchmakers. Bezel probably switched in the Omega service or the watch has been kept in the safe since new. So kindly fuck off.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 10, 2022

Dude what is with that reply? Do you talk to people like that normally?

5. JPE_2112 Nov 10, 2022

No I don't. Been in the watch community since the early 2000's.

Hours of hard work trying to make content and then the only reply is someone making idiotic veiled references.

Just pissed me off. Sorry about that.

6. JwRosenthal Nov 10, 2022

Back atcha, man.
    You took an opportunity to educate and made it into an insult. Go back to your hole please.

Scarecrow Boat, fiberguy, UWG and 2 others like this.
  7. Jasper110 Nov 10, 2022

That’s some watch… and thanks for posting the review.
    Disappointing response to EdisonM, which will no doubt change the course of this thread and limit discussion.

8. JPE_2112 Nov 10, 2022

Yeah. I apologize to Edison for that response.

Jasper110 likes this.
  9. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 10, 2022

Well you'll love my comment over on TZ, that if the lume is SL then the dial is likely fake...

In fact it looks fine to me though.

janice&fred likes this.
  10. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Nov 10, 2022

You call this " content" ? That is a re-badging of Platitudes, my friend. Not relevant at all. Nothing new. Does somebody pay you for doing this ? And on the subject: which colour has the date wheel ?

mr_yossarian likes this.
  11. JPE_2112 Nov 10, 2022

Nobody is paying me for that. Just a hobby.

I thought I said at the beginning of the article that it is not meant to be a technical or very meaningful article. It was more about getting a feel for the great watch and sharing experiences and pictures about it. I thought that kind of stuff would be cool in the Omega community.

There was also a link to Jack Norman's excellent tech article right in the beginning.

And what about the datewheel? Please share your expertise.

Edited Nov 10, 2022
  12. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Nov 10, 2022

Just answer my question: which colour has the date wheel in the Seamaster 300, you reviewed? Not answer with a another question...., please.

13. JPE_2112 Nov 10, 2022

Looks pretty much light grey or white to me. Isn't that obvious from the pictures?

Why are you asking?

14. Dan S Nov 10, 2022

Yes, very strange comments in the article about original tritium lume still being active after 50+ years. Even if an article isn't intended to be technical, it shouldn't be blatant nonsense.

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 10, 2022

Well the glow might still be present when excited by UV or strong light but it shouldn't be persistent. If it is, either the lume material has been replaced or something is not quite right, hence my comment.

16. JPE_2112 Nov 10, 2022

Here is a picture of a gilt 1966 original dial that still glows. Exactly the same green tone. It's a miracle, right?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=253819

[​IMG]

If something is not quite right, it's possible. You can inform the official Omega service in Finland directly. I would have thought they have the expertise to determine whether the dial is original or not. They have a watchmaker with highest official Omega licence in their payroll. But damn... everyone makes mistakes.

Here's the contact information. They'd probably appreciate your superior knowledge.

https://watchservice.fi/en_GB/

PS: I would still like to hear from a member "WatchUWant" why did he ask about the datewheel. Looks perfectly correct for me. Exactly like the datewheel on this watch.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/1968-omega-seamaster-300-date-166-024-67.140722/

Edited Nov 10, 2022
  17. Dan S Nov 10, 2022

I have no idea what you are showing in these re-posted photos taken by other people (i.e. the conditions under which the photos were taken), or what you are trying to demonstrate. Emission during UV excitation? Transient emission of the phosphor after "charging" by UV or visible light? Spontaneous emission (which is what you are apparently implying)? It's meaningless to say that the dial "glows". And continuing to appeal to the authority of an unknown stranger in Finland is just silly TBH (the website in Finland appears to be some random watch repair business). If you read the rolexforums thread from which you took the GMT-Master photo, you would see that some of the more knowledgeable members tried to explain these distinctions.

But if lume from the 1960s is spontaneously emitting in the absence of UV excitation, then it is certainly not original tritiated lume. It seems to me that someone who portrays himself as a vintage watch expert/influencer should have at least some basic knowledge about these most elementary aspects.

Edited Nov 10, 2022
  18. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 10, 2022

You are one stroppy customer. To coin a phrase, 'ye cannae change the laws of physics'. The radioactive component of tritium lume is as good as inert after 2 half lives. A watch made in the 1960s has experienced about 5 and thus has around 6% of the intensity of emission it had when first formulated. As I have mentioned several times, if you excite tritium lume it will glow briefly. It will not persist. Unless that is it has been messed with, ie replaced with SL. If your SM300 has persistent lume, by definition it does not have original tritium lume. This is not open for debate, it is a fact.

19. JPE_2112 Nov 10, 2022

Where have I portrayed myself as a "vintage watch expert"? :D

I'm not any kind of expert. I can barely open a watch caseback.

It gets funnier all the time.

20. Dan S Nov 10, 2022

Agreed.