Return or not?

SHOULD IT STAY OR SHOULD IT GO?

I just received a beautiful Omega Cosmic with a blue dial, purchased off fleabay for just over €600 with shipping. My first problem is it's a 33mm case, not the 35mm advertised which is also on the smaller side. Not that big of a deal, I'm a small guy so it doesn't seem too out of place. The other problems are that the crown doesn't screw down, not sure but I think it should, and that the date doesn't set correctly, you would have to spin the hands through 24 hour segments to get to the correct date. Should I contact the seller and ask for cash back or just return?

IMG_4383.jpeg IMG_4384.jpeg
Edited:

These don’t have a screw down crown, just push/pull.
Case size I believe is 34mm?
Date would depend on the movement but I expect these would have the quick set which is operated by pulling the crown to the 2 position and pushing it back in again to advance it by one day.

Like 1
If it all points that it's original which it looks like (perhaps some can chime in if something looks off); I'd keep it. The case appears unpolished (a nice plus).

Unless specified that it was serviced, one should always factor in a service when buying vintage.

Like 2
Unless specified that it was serviced, one should always factor in a service when buying vintage.
This. It probably needs a service anyway so if you’re happy with the watch I say keep it and get it taken care of.

Like 1
Does the seller accept returns for any reason? If yes, I would return it since it sounds like this is not the perfect watch for you just for the size alone.

If the seller does not accept returns and you will need to start a claim with eBay, you should describe how the seller advertised the watch.

This is probably a reference 166.023 with caliber 565, which should have a quick set date by pulling the crown repeatedly. Have you tried that?

Does the seller accept returns for any reason? If yes, I would return it since it sounds like this is not the perfect watch for you just for the size alone.

If the seller does not accept returns and you will need to start a claim with eBay, you should describe how the seller advertised the watch.

This is probably a reference 166.023 with caliber 565, which should have a quick set date by pulling the crown repeatedly. Have you tried that?

I'm not sure on the seller accepting returns, I've written him expressing issues and maybe getting a few €€€ so I can have it serviced instead of returning. And getting eBay to step up is a pain in the backside.

I've tried adjusting the date by pulling and pushing the stem to all different positions, not that there is that many, but it still won't adjust. I'm surprised that the crown doesn't screw down, I know it's an older watch but it's a Seamaster so I would suspect some watertight features including a screw down crown.

These don’t have a screw down crown, just push/pull.
Case size I believe is 34mm?
Date would depend on the movement but I expect these would have the quick set which is operated by pulling the crown to the 2 position and pushing it back in again to advance it by one day.
Thanks, I didn't realize it didn't have a screw down crown. I've tried adjusting the date but that's still a no-go even with your method of pulling out and pushing back the stem.

Thanks, I didn't realize it didn't have a screw down crown. I've tried adjusting the date but that's still a no-go even with your method of pulling out and pushing back the stem.

could be missing the QS arm or date wheel teeth could be worn

I always hated that QS feature. Thought I would break something by pulling it many times to set the date.

not sure it will work on this movement. Move the hands forward until the date changes and then move backwards. If date doesn’t reverse. Move forward again to change the date. Back and forth until you get to the date you need

SHOULD IT STAY OR SHOULD IT GO?

I just received a beautiful Omega Cosmic with a blue dial, purchased off fleabay for just over €600 with shipping. My first problem is it's a 33mm case, not the 35mm advertised which is also on the smaller side. Not that big of a deal, I'm a small guy so it doesn't seem too out of place. The other problems are that the crown doesn't screw down, not sure but I think it should, and that the date doesn't set correctly, you would have to spin the hands through 24 hour segments to get to the correct date. Should I contact the seller and ask for cash back or just return?

IMG_4383.jpeg IMG_4384.jpeg
Nice looking watch. Keep it and get it serviced. Its a 50+year old watch dont be too picky with a function that commonly needs attention and will be addressed at service.

Like 1
Quoted member DON
I always hated that QS feature. Thought I would break something by pulling it many times to set the date.
I feel the same way. It gets even more uncomfortable with a split stem like the OP's watch.

Perhaps you could share the link to the eBay listing so we can see the description.

Like 1
I feel the same way. It gets even more uncomfortable with a split stem like the OP's watch.

If that’s a split stem. Would it even have the quickset feature?

Quoted member DON
I don't know how a cosmic couldn't have a split stem as a front loader. But I'm not sure if he has caliber 565 inside, that was my assumption.

Quoted member DON

My 166.036 (cal 752) has quick-set date, so the date only cal 565s would as well.

565 has base caliber 563.
Date corrector in the data sheets. And there are 3 stops on the set lever spring.

565 is often used in the Dynamic Geneve.

In reading and research, these tend to be shoehorned into connie and more desirable cases. This movement was never a chronometer movement.

I got mixed up and got a 505 instead of a 565. The former is larger. (28mm vs 27.9mm) Which means a 565 will fit into a 500 case. The dial feet are not interchangeable.

Many of the 550 parts are interchangeable above that number but not below it. The stems are not interchangeable. The data sheet shows the split stem (563-1149.)

I am waiting now for a 562 (no date) which should have arrived Tuesday, and is now set for arrival tomorrow (Friday) The order the post office ships things is totally random.

I think they do this intentionally, as I tend to buy more when the stuff does not arrive in a timely fashion.

Not familiar with the cosmic case. Not a favourite design. I only assumed that pushing and pulling on the stem to move the date would cause the stem to possible pop off or wear and tear to the ends (female or male)

Quoted member DON

Yes, of course.

I'm surprised that the crown doesn't screw down, I know it's an older watch but it's a Seamaster so I would suspect some watertight features including a screw down crown.
Many vintage Seamasters don’t have a screw down crown. It’s certainly not unusual.

Bracelet looks unusual but I think the case is the regular size as well

Perhaps you could share the link to the eBay listing so we can see the description.
Vintage OMEGA Seamaster Cosmic, Rare Blue Sunburst.**Omega Seamaster Cosmic** with very rare blue dial is available for purchase. Here are the details:

- **Model**: Omega Seamaster Cosmic
- **Reference number**: 166.023
- **Year of production**: 1970
- **Case material**: Steel
- **Movement**: Automatic (caliber 565)
- **Case diameter**: 35 x 38 mm
- **Dial**: Blue, without numbers
- **Strap**: steel with steel pin clasp
- **Functions**: Date, central seconds
- **Condition**: Excellent (second hand, signs of wear as per photos)

This watch is a collector's item and represents a unique opportunity for vintage watch enthusiasts. If you are interested, you can contact the private seller