Relume or not to lume - that's the question

Hey @all, next question about my Speedy 145.012-67. I like, no love it as it is... worn but possibly in all original and unpolished state. But, honestly the hands are in pretty bad shape. The lack of lumen doesn't bother me that much, but even during the day the time often is quite hard to read.

Would you relume it? What is a collectors opinion? Someone you could recommend in Germany?

It's a tough question. I don't think yours are too bad, compare them to mine. Eventually I'll get around to having my hands repainted and relumed and the dial too (since the lume is either in really bad shape or it's been very poorly relumed in the past).

Another vote for leave it. If I look closely at my face in a mirror (my passport does note distinguishing facial scars) or my hands, I see the life they have lived. And so do my watches. Perfection is for angels.

If you are going to have it relumed, don’t send it to someone in Germany. The best available is called James Hyman. He’s in the UK and worth every bit of effort.

Personally, I wouldn’t not have it relumed, but stabilized.

The dial is appealing but the hands are grotty. Personally I’d either get a new (old) set or yes get the originals relumed. The latter will likely be cheaper and probably look better as finding nice original patinated hands isn’t easy. I’d take a nicer look over originality there.

ps I wouldn’t colour match the dial exactly, that will look wrong.

If you are going to have it relumed, don’t send it to someone in Germany. The best available is called James Hyman. He’s in the UK and worth every bit of effort.

Personally, I wouldn’t not have it relumed, but stabilized.

Thanks. What does "stabilized" mean in this context?

It's a tough question. I don't think yours are too bad, compare them to mine. Eventually I'll get around to having my hands repainted and relumed and the dial too (since the lume is either in really bad shape or it's been very poorly relumed in the past).
For the hands I would assume a draw, but for the bezel I lead 1:0! 😀

Hey @all, next question about my Speedy 145.012-67. I like, no love it as it is... worn but possibly in all original and unpolished state. But, honestly the hands are in pretty bad shape. The lack of lumen doesn't bother me that much, but even during the day the time often is quite hard to read.

Would you relume it? What is a collectors opinion? Someone you could recommend in Germany?

From a far, it doesn't look that bad.
I think reluming it would hurt the value in this case. Since the dial is in pretty fair condition.
I feel that reluming vintage dials is a good idea when the dial has either already been relumed, or the lume is flaking off.

Thanks. What does "stabilized" mean in this context?

The lume in your hands shows small cracks/holes. Stabilizing usually means a protective coat is applied from the back, not changing the appearance in any way but stabilizing the remaining lume so it doesn't crumble / fall apart even more. Ask your watchmaker, I'd be surprised if she/he doesn't know about the process.

From a far, it doesn't look that bad.
I think reluming it would hurt the value in this case. Since the dial is in pretty fair condition.
I feel that reluming vintage dials is a good idea when the dial has either already been relumed, or the lume is flaking off.

I don’t think anyone has suggested reluming the dial. It’s the hands that have issues. The dial lume is fully in line with how the -67/68 models typically age and is not objectionable.
Edited:

I don’t think anyone has suggested reluming the dial. It’s the hands that have issues. The dial lume is fully in line with how the -67/68 models typically age and is not objectionable.

Ah I see, I've misread.
I don't think the hands look that bad either.

Exactly! The dial and the indices are not the issue.

If it were mine,I would leave it as is.
I tend to go in the same direction. There is certainly no quick and cheap solution here.

I will also leave the watch as it is. I am sure that if it's dark and can't read the time you will use the phone 😀. For me in that condition looks better.

I would ask James Hyman to match the hands with the dial