Forums Latest Members

Reliability of Crown & Caliber service

1. Bugdoc Jul 21, 2020

Hello everyone. I'm new to the site but not the hobby.

Does anyone have experience with the C&C service department? I recently purchased an Omega Speedmaster Mk40, ref 3520.50 from C&C. I've found that twice now it has prematurely advanced to the next month. While it came with a 1 yr warranty I can't find anything online about the quality of their service department. I am debating whether I should send it to an independent watchmaker, Omega or C&C since this watch has multiple complications.

Thanks!

2. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 21, 2020

I bought an SMP 300 from them a while back that needed warranty work and they had it for 30 days. When I got the watch back, I noticed a scratch in the anti reflective coating on the inside surface of the crystal that wasn’t there prior to service. The hour and minutes hands no longer had correct spacing and the seconds hand had a bend in it that wasn’t there before. I wasn’t happy, so returned the watch for a refund and they accepted.

3. killer67 Jul 21, 2020

might be a long shot but ask if you can use your own Omega certified watchmaker for warranty claim

4. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 21, 2020

They have said that will void their warranty

5. Evitzee Jul 21, 2020

My view of vendors like Crown & Caliber, Watch Box and European Watch is if the used watch you are buying has issues it is up to you to take care of it on your own dime unless it is a very simple adjustment. This goes double for complications like perpetual calendars, rattrapante chronos, minute repeaters and the like. And a tourbillon? Fuggedaboutit, you are on your own.

ChiefMark likes this.
  6. killer67 Jul 21, 2020

ok I’m not using C&C then :cautious:

7. Bugdoc Jul 22, 2020

Yeah, my feeling is that their service techs are one trick ponies, good for authentication (hopefully ;-) and obvious, simple repairs. I'll try the tack of choosing the watchmaker.

8. Braindrain Jul 22, 2020

Throw A/S into the mix. Had a friend buy something from them. Watch shortly had an issue and he brought it to our local, trusted watchmaker. Upon opening the back and with the obvious problems, watchmaker declared there's no way anyone competent could have opened the caseback and not see the issues.

Needless to say, repairs weren't done through A/S.