Forums Latest Members

Omega 8900 movements, reliability and ease of service

1. M_pharmacist Apr 28, 2021

Hello
    Am completely noob about movements reliability and ease of service,, given how good solid and super reliable somewhat simpler rolex calibers are, am wondering how reliable, somewhat beatable for everyday watch and easy to service ( for example am living in Middle East so am afraid that the service interval will be very long (
    I want detailed answers mainly from our good friend Archr

2. M_pharmacist Apr 29, 2021

@Archer
    Am really struggling between datejust 36mm steel and globe master, and am living in Middle East where literally every omega I think will go to regional country with major service centers or worse back to Switzerland

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 29, 2021

Get whatever watch you like best - that is the primary criteria for any watch purchase in my view.

M_pharmacist likes this.
  4. M_pharmacist Apr 29, 2021

I like them BOTH ! But i need more information about the reliability of 8900 clibers and service intervals

5. jalquiza Apr 29, 2021

Just one person/experience, but my 8900 is going on year 3 with daily use, a few accidental bangs, a million showers/swims, electronics/magnets exposure, no service, and it's still deadly accurate.

Yehoshua and M_pharmacist like this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 30, 2021

Service interval is every 5-8 years per Omega...

Service intervals.jpg

M_pharmacist likes this.
  7. M_pharmacist Apr 30, 2021

Can co axial movements take a beat same as rolex calibers ?

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 30, 2021

Let's throw caution to wind and say yes.

M_pharmacist likes this.
  9. Premaster May 1, 2021

If you compare the 8900 to the present/new 3235 from Rolex, I would say yes without throwing caution to the wind. If you compare the 8900 to the former 3135 I would say, "it depends...". The 3135 is really reliable, the 8900 is it too, however the coax parts are tinier than the parts in the traditional mechanism - and maybe - in extreme harsh situations, a bit more delicate? I don't trust the new 3235, too many bad experiences around in the web, however no personal one. The 8500 and 8900 I know from many (approx. 8) watches I own and have owned. They are mostly dead accurate and robust in a long term. So... It is up to you.

Yehoshua and M_pharmacist like this.