Redial or not redial

Posts
47
Likes
165
Sometimes we don't have a choice...

Like many of watch collectors, I don't like refinished dials. Having a dial refinished is a bit like loosing a piece of the watch's authenticity.

But when the dial condition is too poor a redial becomes necessary.

Two decades ago I was able to recover my grandfather's watch. He used to wore it and I clearly remember looking at the watch on his wrist 50 years ago.

Here is the watch when I got it in 2006 :



I had a complete overhaul done at the watchmaker's with no redial and I wore it. Until 2014, then I decided a redial was better than letting the dial in its poor original condition.



Since this redial I like better wearing it, of course the lume is missing because 22 years ago in 2014 I did not know any redial shop who was able to lume the dial but I like the dial as it is now, I think the work is correctly done.😊

I made the right choice.
 
Posts
9,222
Likes
76,814
It looks good and I agree with you about refinished/repainted dials if they make an unwearable watch into an attractive piece.

I generally equate the process to restoring a vintage car, or similar.

Although I’m not a fan of fantasy dials, I’ve occasionally found a ‘refinished’ dial more interesting and attractive than anything that the manufacturer produced
 
Posts
5,299
Likes
53,822
Sometimes we don't have a choice...

Like many of watch collectors, I don't like refinished dials. Having a dial refinished is a bit like loosing a piece of the watch's authenticity.

But when the dial condition is too poor a redial becomes necessary.

Two decades ago I was able to recover my grandfather's watch. He used to wore it and I clearly remember looking at the watch on his wrist 50 years ago.

Here is the watch when I got it in 2006 :



I had a complete overhaul done at the watchmaker's with no redial and I wore it. Until 2014, then I decided a redial was better than letting the dial in its poor original condition.



Since this redial I like better wearing it, of course the lume is missing because 22 years ago in 2014 I did not know any redial shop who was able to lume the dial but I like the dial as it is now, I think the work is correctly done.😊

I made the right choice.
Your redialer is a master in his profession!
I think you made the right call.
 
Posts
18,730
Likes
38,879
You made the right decision.

👍
 
Posts
521
Likes
2,505
Impressive work on this dial. This is one redial job done right. 👍
 
Posts
47
Likes
165
I still see 2 defaults :
1. There is no lume anymore.
2. the printing even thin, is not thin enough.

Unfortunately the redial company stopped its activity due to retirement. It's a pity to lose such expertise.
 
Posts
13,902
Likes
54,076
Darned good job.