Forums Latest Members

Recommendations needed for entry level mirrorless camera

1. wagudc Sep 17, 2021

I have watched a number of Robin Wong's YouTube videos. He is great and there is a Scandinavian Guy who also has good instrional videos. I'll check the one you set out. The 17mm is a great for snapshots, and does well low light without a flash.

Edited Sep 17, 2021
  2. Tako Yaki Sep 23, 2021

Entry level camera…
    Entry level in photography or about the price of a camera?

I more and more prefer “as simple as possible“ cameras!
    Fixed lens, as less functions as possible!

Easier to handle without study weeks through a manual and in the end u hardly use a tenth of the functions of ur camera!

less functions, u ll put more thinking about photography, not beeing confused about ur camera functions…
    Far better results!
    I mean in the end I want to take good pictures and the process of photographing is also much more enjoying, if the camera is easy to understand!

I’ve old Nikon SLR, Olympus DSLR,
    but the most I am using is my old trusty Leica X1.
    I also get the best pictures out of it, as simple it is!

As You ask about an entry level camera…

Used they now reached even entry level camera prices….
    As they’re made by Leica in Germany and still serviced at Leica, they will provide
    still years of fun!
    And, when I see even older (Japanese made by Panasonic) digital Leica prices rising, I personally think prices for the X series will not much drop anymore…

3. ducatguy707 Oct 5, 2021

Canon M50 is a great entry level mirrorless. I went to canon's refurbished page for my M50.

4. mbp Apr 19, 2022

I mentioned this in another thread but the X100V is an excellent mirrorless camera. Low profile, great for traveling (I usually throw it in my coat). I wanted to get a Leica Q series model eventually but I'll be sticking with the X100V for now because of I was so surprised by it.

5. stonestone Apr 20, 2022

Hi all, I read with interest the recommendations in this thread. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Nikon Z50 and can share feedback?

From the research I've done, the pros are:
    - great ergonomics
    - user friendly
    - good in low light (though not as good as Sony A6400)
    - good video capability
    The cons are:
    - a bit pricier than some other models
    - inability to make full use of Z-series lenses with the APS-C sensor
    - autofocus tracking not as good as Sony, but better than Fuji or Canon
    Thanks in advance for any comments.

6. bombaywalla Apr 20, 2022

@stonestone , I was also wondering how come no one has mentioned Nikon Z Mirrorless cameras? Are they not good? lots of Olympus & Fuji users but not much mention of Nikon…

stonestone likes this.
  7. wrist time Apr 21, 2022

Nikon like Sony and Canon is focused on FF cameras and lenses. While you can use the FF Z lenses they tend to be bigger and heavier since they are designed for FF. Fuji is most active in APS-C cameras.

stonestone and bombaywalla like this.
  8. gmmy775 Apr 28, 2022

As a person who previously refurbished and sold camera gear I suggest that you are on the right track with mirrorless. I have owned several Sony E-mount models, a Fuji, a couple of Olympus, and a Panasonic. Depending on what you are looking to use it for dictates recommendations. If you are looking for "reach" then the Olympus and Panasonic have 2X crop factors, giving an equivalent 100mm focal length from a film era 50mm lens. The micro 4/3 are weaker for wide angle for the same reason, and because of the smaller sensor they are not the best for granular control of depth of field (full-frame for that). If absolute best image quality is your priority then I would say the Fuji sensor has the slight edge, but that is like saying technically an Epson printer produces better prints than an HP....it's a fine line. Overall I have ended up mostly in the Sony camp. They offer both 1.5X crop factor and full-frame sensors, arguably the easiest to use menu, most intuitive ability to shoot adapted manual focus legacy glass in either Aperture Priority or Manual modes, and very important for us with older eyes....the best Focus Peaking operation and options. I have recently decided to switch my macro photography from a Nikon DSLR with a 55mm f2.8ai-s Micro-Nikkor, to using the same lens adapted to a Sony a6000. The line of sight infrared remote shutter releases are similar, and the ability to use Focus Peaking instead of the optical viewfinder of the Nikon has recently (I am 72) become an advantage. My next watch review will be done using this setup

stonestone likes this.
  9. stonestone Apr 29, 2022

Thanks. I borrowed a friend's Sony A7r for a summer before going on a cruise to Alaska, and was generally happy with it, but did feel the menus needed time to understand. In comparison I've heard Canon, Nikon and Fuji menus are a bit less intimidating.

10. Clelow Jul 30, 2022

I picked up a Canon M6 along with a 28mm macro lens during Amazon Prime Day. I'm still learning but really like using the camera and would recommend that anyone who may be in the market to give it a look.

11. bombaywalla Jul 30, 2022

I can tell you from my Nikon D7000 personal experience that Nikon menus are intuitive for all the basic & semi-advanced stuff. For the more advanced stuff I did need to read the manual, which is fine with me....

12. impalla62ss Jul 30, 2022

After doing a bunch of research, I went with a used Sony A6300. These can be had with a lens for about $600.00. I upgraded from the Sony RX100iii which is basically a full featured point and shoot, so I could get some longer lenses. I have been very happy with the camera. If you are willing to look at a six year old high end camera, you can do pretty good compared to the budget lens-less.
    https://cameradecision.com/review/Sony-Alpha-a6300

13. bikerfox Mar 19, 2023

it's been nearly a year since the last post, but i thought i'd mention that here in the states, we have costco
    which has terrific camera prices, good tech support, and a money-back guarantee for a certain length of time.
    well, used to! just checked and apparently no more 35mm cameras being sold anymore....however, don't
    count them out for the future.