Forums Latest Members

Reccomendations for Servicing a Vintage Omega Connie

1. zesty_calco Jan 7, 2020

I poked around a little for an answer but if I missed it please direct me to the proper page...

Picked up a vintage C shape case Constellation (Ref 168.017) and would like to get it fully serviced and polished including the bracelet. Can anyone recommend a shop I could send it to or should I just send it back to Omega? I contacted Omega about pricing and they basically said to send us the watch for a quote. I also kicked the tires of one watch shop but they wouldn't polish it (stating it hurt the collectability) and their service price starts at the listed price for Omega's service (at least as far as I could tell the price on Omega's website; their service includes a polishing).

I understand that polishing hurts the value of a watch but I want my watch to look how I want it. A "fresh start" start of sorts inside and out for the new owner. I also understand that it's advisable to not over polish as it rounds off the beveling of the case. I don't mind mailing the watch out somewhere or paying for good work. I think I read from Omega that this 564 caliber has to be sent to Switzerland for service... I pause for a second hearing that :eek:

edit: like a doof I didn't mention that I'm located in Houston, TX U.S.

Edited Jan 7, 2020
  2. Walrus Jan 7, 2020

You should put up a picture of the watch that always garners interest

DaveK likes this.
  3. zesty_calco Jan 7, 2020

Not the most artistic photos but I'm at work atm

Front.jpg Back.jpg 564 Movement.jpg Case Back.jpg 1040-518 Bracelet.jpg
  4. zesty_calco Jan 7, 2020

Thanks for the suggestion!

5. Davidt Jan 7, 2020

For suggestions you'll need to let us know where you're located - UK, Aus, US?

6. zesty_calco Jan 7, 2020

Welp, I feel like a dummy... I'm in the US!

7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 7, 2020

That watch wasn't polished originally and I suspect the bracelet was not, either. Are you sure you want it all shiny?

Tom

8. zesty_calco Jan 7, 2020

It's interesting you say that because the shop I sent these photos to said the watch and bracelet have been polished enough. I think I'm more interested in reducing some of the scuffs on the case and bracelet. I know it will never be a new watch again. These Connies didn't really have high polished finish originally on them did they?

Edited Jan 7, 2020
  9. ConElPueblo Jan 7, 2020

The case should have a very light, circular brushing and the bezel should have a starburst finish. The circular brushing doesn't always show very well in photos, but the starburst bezel finish is evident.

[​IMG]

kkt likes this.
  10. zesty_calco Jan 7, 2020

I can see the circular brushing in mine and starburst bezel. It wouldn't be exactly the same but could a watch maker recreate that look?

11. Dan S Jan 7, 2020

There are shops that can refinish the case to look close to its original specs, but it would probably cost a substantial fraction of the watch's value.

12. zesty_calco Jan 7, 2020

That's always how it is with vintagey stuff. I'd have to see numbers to decide if it was worth it to me. I didn't pay a crazy amount for it expecting to pay a bit on the service end.

13. Davidt Jan 7, 2020

I can't recommend anyone in the US but if you narrow down to a state I'm sure others will be able to.

14. zesty_calco Jan 7, 2020

I'm in Houston, TX. I really don't mind sending it off somewhere if they do good work. Obviously more local would be ideal but I'd opt for quality over someone close by. If someone even had experience sending a similar watch to Omega that would be helpful. Hard to say if the price they have on their site for service is in the ball park of what it would actually cost.

15. Excalious Jan 7, 2020

There’s a guy in Houston named Mr K. He is a really experienced watch maker (in his 70s+) who has mad scientist white hair, lives with an oxygen tank attached to him at all times and works with his wife in a 1 room store by the Lakewood mega church.

I had him work on my bumper Constellation after all the good reviews online. He is extremely slow and never meets his deadlines (it took 5 months though I think I was an outlier as he had to order parts and had to test multiple seals as they don’t make the original anymore), but very honest (tried to make it work with original crown, but gave me a replacement crown for free when couldn’t- not super happy but I still have the original), and priced very reasonably (<100 for all his trouble).

If you want someone with that eccentric old wizard charm, he could be a good bet. He is the best reviewed watch service shop in town on yelp and google, but comes with some character.

Edited Jan 7, 2020
  16. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 7, 2020

Despite the bleatings of "Don't send to Omega!" I think you should consider sending to Omega. They will charge you $550 for a complete service including refinishing of the case and bracelet to as-new condition. They won't touch your dial, it's fine, the hands are fine, at best I suspect they would replace the crown for water resistance reasons and you will have what you're asking for. That price in my neighborhood is pretty good.

Now, if you must send it elsewhere because the other denizens here go batshit insane, Nesbit's in Washington state have a very good reputation and where I was considering sending one of my own.

Tom

chronos and gatorcpa like this.
  17. zesty_calco Jan 8, 2020

Thanks for all you suggestions! I haven't heard any bleatings... but I might not have my finger on the Omega pulse like some do around here. Have you sent a watch back to Omega or are you just looking at their site for that price? $550 was the price I came up with as well from their site but I don't want it to arrive and they say "Yea, $550 is for these basic models. Yours is a special vintage watch we have to charge more for". The shop I got a ball park estimate from said it would be at least $550 to service the watch and he refused to polish it. Omega seems like a good deal at that point... I'll probably kick Nesbit's tires as well. Thanks again!

18. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 8, 2020

I have only the word of my watchmaker at the Rolex dealer to go by. He related that they'd sent a customer's vintage Constellation back, had asked for a movement service only, and they got what they'd asked for. It is true that others share stories they'd heard about Omega ignoring these requests. Since you want your watch refinished as new, might as well give them a shot.

Tom

zesty_calco likes this.
  19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 8, 2020

Here is the latest Swatch Group service guide from 2018.

http://www.sguscustomerservice.com/

Just click on the Omega logo.

Looks like $550 for cal. 564/751 service which would include case refurbishment.

Good luck what you decide.
    gatorcpa

20. zesty_calco Jan 8, 2020

I know exactly where this is but had no idea there was a watch shop there. I love shops like these with old wizard charm but reading reviews it seems like more of a place to do minor repairs rather than a complete service. It also says on Yelp he broke his wrist and is only starting to take new orders this month. For the initial servicing I think I may want a little bigger shop. This place does seem ideal for a tune up in a few years though!