Forums Latest Members

Razor sharp edges on the new Speedy??

1. Happy Feb 13, 2021

just watched a YouTube video from the Timeless watch channel. Very good channel by the way if you have never seen it.

Anyway the video is him going in to try the new Speedy and he discoveres that the watch has very sharp edges to it. The AD guy gets out a couple of the new watches to check to see if they are all like it, and the are.

I've bot personally seen the new one yet but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with it?

Thanks

londoncolin, blacka01 and lexieb007 like this.
  2. lexieb007 Feb 13, 2021

^ Yep I saw that I'd trust his judgement great channel

blacka01 likes this.
  3. G-Web Feb 13, 2021

Yes, the edges on the new Speedmaster case are finished very precisely.
    No, this is not a problem.

I’ve been wearing mine for about a month now, and it has yet to draw blood, remove skin, chafe flesh, or otherwise injure me.

Cheers,
    -GW

Mugul, Mad Dog, PhilF and 16 others like this.
  4. YHY Feb 13, 2021

yes it's sharp as I expect a modern case to be, it doesn't come into contact with your skin while wearing so no issues there

5. blacka01 Feb 13, 2021

Sounds like Omega are cheaping out on the finishing. Disappointing, i’ll hold on to my 1863 thanks. Interesting that the Ed White he tried didn’t have the same issue

6. Happy Feb 13, 2021

Think it was putting the watch on and taking it off that was the issue. Once it's on don't think it's an issue.

7. gbesq Feb 13, 2021

It doubles as a weapon and survival knife when required.

ChiefMark, vadimo, bdg5593 and 10 others like this.
  8. Happy Feb 13, 2021

This why they call it a tool watch??

9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Feb 13, 2021

Just think about it : how can a case, made from the same material, with the same shape/physical-specifications, cut/polished/brushed using the same method, be any sharper then any other case done the same way at any point in time (whether it be 5 minutes/days/months/years/decades apart)? ::facepalm1::

Also: how can one claim a watch is ‘thicker then my old speedy’ by showing side by side (not centered or aigned with respect to each other or the camera) profile pics of two totally different case profiles (as opposed to the ‘scientific’ way aka a vernier caliper) as the basis for such a claim, when it’s a known fact that the 105.012 (non-CB) has a totally different lug shape/profile to most that came after, and resulting thicker side cut then anything that came after 1969? ::facepalm1:: (Edit: a friend compared his 145.012 thickness to his hesalite 3570.50...thats 13mm vs 14.6mm according to him)...

I think he best stick to his two-tone modern Rolexes he waxes lyrical over and keep up the red wine :thumbsup:

Edited Feb 13, 2021
    Stripey, vadimo, jcmartinez98 and 7 others like this.
  10. blacka01 Feb 13, 2021

Well I guess he is suggesting that it is not done the same way, i.e. the standard of finishing is inferior to previous Speedmaster production (or even current production if you consider the 321)

11. Dan S Feb 13, 2021

Steel parts can be machined in different ways (i.e. with different tools) and also finished in different ways after machining. If people are empirically observing that the edges are subtly different, it wouldn't shock me to learn that the fabrication process was modified.

12. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Feb 13, 2021

Certainly (and certainly the goal was a similar end-result). So apparently the new ones are so well/better made they are noticeably sharper than these (which have been worn, but the middle one is more or less the same profile as the new ones)...so much so that mrLuxury was scared he was going to slice his skin on the case...and are inferior in quality to the 3570.50's ::confused2::

upload_2021-2-13_17-48-12.png
    upload_2021-2-13_17-51-7.png

(and the best I could find of the new one)

[​IMG]

Now the new bracelet is another matter entirely...

Edit: I am certain @ndgal would oblige and send us some high res shots so we can see just how sharp that middle one really is ::love::

Edited Feb 13, 2021
    Caliber561, Happy and Dan S like this.
  13. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 13, 2021

It’s called brand extension.

These are a boutique-only item, and available at a discount with purchase of the new Speedmaster. :thumbsup:

6797775A-6D8C-41E6-B8EA-89472167507B.jpeg

Nupero, vadimo, 64Wing and 7 others like this.
  14. pipalextom Feb 13, 2021

He seems like a pretty honest guy to me, and clearly likes Omega as much as Rolex judging by his collection so I think to simply dismiss his opinion because you don’t like it is a tad naive.

balmung0, Pun, robinhook and 2 others like this.
  15. Borosilikat Feb 13, 2021

Looks good, I don't see an issue.

16. Omega-Q Feb 13, 2021

My new 3861 is sharp, but it doesn't cut my skin or anything. I have zero issues with it and it is very comfortable! Attaching a lume shot for fun! :)

IMG_4546.jpg
    pete26, WastedYears, Alex_TA and 10 others like this.
  17. GannyBall Feb 13, 2021

What part is sharp exactly ?

Mad Dog likes this.
  18. Happy Feb 13, 2021

Think he was referring to the case and the bracelet

Mad Dog and blacka01 like this.
  19. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 13, 2021

Tell the Irish guy who made that YT video that George Michael called and wants his hairstyle back.

Sl4ve, Mad Dog, Lonestar and 2 others like this.
  20. Caliber561 Feb 13, 2021

We had a discussion about this before, and while it is your opinion that sharp, precise finishing is an indicator of cheap manufacturing, the assertion that the case has an unmitigated sharp edge is patently false. It's possible you haven't looked closely at your own watch, but as I've said before, there is a fillet (rounded) edge on the bottom sides of the case.

This is evident when looking at a head-on shot:
    Side1.JPG
    SideZoom.JPG

This runs the length of the edge, and terminates at the ends of the case:
    LugEnd.JPG Lugendzoom.JPG

To those who are unfamiliar with the difference between a fillet and bevel, bevels are typically flat (like the polished faces of the lyre lugs) whereas fillet edges are rounded. As the 3861's case clearly has fillet edges, I really have been finding it hard to believe that people find this case sharp enough to skin an apple or cut oneself. But hey, I guess some people just have really sensitive skin, and it's quite possible the brushed finish on the underside of the case may contribute to the perception of a sharp edge.

Some extra shots showing light reflecting off the fillet edge.
    DSC_1070 (2).JPG DSC_1071 (2).JPG

Mad Dog, David J, Mancem and 12 others like this.