Forums Latest Members
  1. chum_2000_uk May 13, 2019

Anyone else find the edges on the newer seamaster micro-adjust clasps a bit sharp and uncomfortable. I've fitted one of these clasps to my 2500 SMPc, and have one on my PO 8900 and they both feel similar.

Obviously I'm not talking slit your wrist open sharp, but sharp enough to get quite uncomfortable quite quickly on occasion. It's weird, sometimes I don't find them too bad, then other times (like tonight) I put the watch on, then within ten minutes it's digging into my wrist and annoying me. I don't get this problem at all with my Seiko Sea Urchin.

Is it worth me having the edges rounded off a bit? Shall I just lop my wrist off and be done with watches altogether?

2. bama2141 May 13, 2019

I recently picked up a Strapcode bracelet for a Seiko Alpinist that had many sharp edges in and around the clasp. Judicious use of a small piece of 600 grit emery paper rectified the problem with little effort. Just touched the sharp edges with a glancing motion - no rubbing on the flat surfaces. Visually unnoticeable, but the sharp edges have been banished.

chum_2000_uk likes this.
  3. c2500 May 13, 2019

I've noticed same issue with a Tokyo 2020 Speedmaster bracelet.

4. chum_2000_uk May 14, 2019

May have to try a careful rounding of the edges methinks!

5. steelfish May 14, 2019

Which part of the clasp? From looking at mine, most of the edges are bevelled with the exception of the flat edge across the bottom (the bit that touches your wrist).

6. chum_2000_uk May 14, 2019

Yeah that flat edge that touches the wrist is what I'm talking about, including the bits at either end of that edge that curve slightly as the edge starts heading towards the upper side of the bracelet. Running my thumb over it, even that curved bit feels quite sharp.

I've just lightly taken a bit of 400 grit sandpaper to the SMPc clasp along those edges and curves either side now, ensuring to keep the paper diagonal across the edge as I sanded so as not to scuff any of the flat surfaces. It's rounded it very slightly, but I'm still not sure it's enough to stop the feeling that it's digging in.

I'll see how I get on, may have to carefully round the edge a little more with a dremel if the sandpaper hasn't cured it.

7. chum_2000_uk May 14, 2019

I don't get why omega wouldn't have given these edges a nice rounded profile, knowing that they are going to sit against the wrist.

8. mjb May 14, 2019

Thank you @chum_2000_uk, OP, for this post. I too have noticed some uncomfortable moments with my new SM and the bracelet which is much more uncomfortable than previous Omegas. I've actually been considering taking it back to the AD and trying for a refund. I am wearing it looser than I usually do, and that helps, and I have a strap on order that will definitely help, but I do prefer a bracelet.

I hate taking sandpaper to my new watch, but that may do the trick, and if I'm careful, I won't ruin it. Keep us updated please.

9. chum_2000_uk May 14, 2019

Mjb, no problem. I'll wear it as much as I can over the next few days, and see if I feel its any more comfortable.

I've experimented with wearing it looser, but find it annoys me just as much by sliding up and down my wrist and sooner or later it digs in anyway once it's settled in a position.

I'll make sure to post my findings back here in the coming days.

10. chum_2000_uk May 15, 2019

Well, it's probably a bit early to tell for sure yet, but I wore the watch all day today at work, didn't take it off once and it felt pretty comfortable.

I was wearing a short sleeve shirt though, so this may have helped. I'll report back more once I've worn it for a few more days.

11. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner May 15, 2019

Same with the Apollo 17 45th Anni - extreme sharp edges! But I don't like the new clasp at all - way to big and heavy :whipped:

12. chum_2000_uk May 16, 2019

Another day wearing it, without feeling the need to take it off and adjust the clasp to see if it will dig in less.

I wore my 8900 PO last night for a couple of hours for a walk down by the coast, and it felt a bit uncomfortable at times, so I think I'm going to repeat the process on that clasp too and see how I get on with that as well.

It definitely spoils some of the enjoyment of wearing them when they are digging into my wrist

13. chum_2000_uk May 16, 2019

Just spent half hour or so taking the clasp off my PO and carefully repeating the process of rounding the edges with some 400 grit sandpaper.

Just put the watch back on and feels good at the moment. As per the SMP, I'll try and wear it as much as possible over the coming days and report back here.

Great thing about this is its very easy to do, and you really can't notice at all. I think even looking at the edge while off the wrist I'm not convinced I could tell its been slightly rounded. Fingers crossed its now a bit more comfortable against my wrist.

14. chum_2000_uk May 23, 2019

Bit of an update on this, since carefully rounding the edges of the clasps on my PO and SMPc I've definitely been finding them a lot more comfortable.

There is still a bit of the clasps that dig in a little at either end - the lumpy bit at one end and the middle of the clasp swing arm (not sure if that's the correct term) which sits at the other end (both against the wrist).

I've not rounded the edges on either of these parts as it doesn't look easy to do so without ruining the finish (not that anyone would see while the watch is on the wrist). For some reason, these bits seem to dig in worse when I've got the micro adjustment wound out a bit, so I've added an extra link back into the bracelet, making the fit a bit looser on the tightest setting. Now it's warming up here a bit in the UK, it's fitting about right at the moment. I've been loosening by a single notch the past couple of days after wearing it a couple of hours.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the comfort now. I'm going to get a half link for the winter if I've still got the PO I think. Annoying having to still mess around with links when you've got a micro adjustable clasp, but I'd rather that than it be constantly digging in and uncomfortable.

15. steelfish May 23, 2019

My man maths logic would be suggesting right now perhaps the best thing all round would be to invest in OEM straps and deployants. #Justsayin'

Seriously, glad you seem to have found a solution. There's nothing like loving a watch only for it to annoy you while wearing it.

16. chum_2000_uk May 24, 2019

Funny you should say that, I had actually started to look at straps and deployants! But then I just bought a new watch instead; a panda Dial breitling transocean chronograph 43mm (B01 movement)... This hobby is not good!

17. taz101 Aug 7, 2019

Has anyone been back to the AD with this issue? I really don't think we should have to make physical alterations

18. mjb Aug 7, 2019

For me, it's feeling better. Either I'm getting tougher, or the adjustments have gotten it to where it doesn't hurt.

19. chum_2000_uk Aug 8, 2019

In principle I agree. I know it probably sounds stupid, but I wouldn't trust the AD to sort this, or certainly not in a timely manner.

Maybe I'm just too cynical, but for such a simple fix I'd rather just do it carefully myself.

I'm much happier with the bracelet comfort now since I've done the mod. I also added a half link, which has helped a bit further - weirdly, even though the clasp is very adjustable. Maybe I was sort of inbetween adjustments or something, I'm not sure! I also noticed this same phenomenon with my SMPc, whereby adding a half link made the bracelet seemingly fit more comfortably (combined with the rounding of the sharp edges).

20. taz101 Aug 8, 2019

It just makes me annoyed. Would you expect this on a new Submariner??