Forums Latest Members

WITHDRAWN Rare Wittnauer 242T 'Solo' Dial

1. JamesL1680 Nov 26, 2019

Thanks to OF for the space.

Up for sale is likely the rarest watch in my collection, based on production. This is a Wittnauer 242T with a 'solo' dial - lacking both the 'Genève' text below 'Wittnauer', as well as the inner track that seems to be synonymous with the reference. I usually hesitate to use the word 'rare,' but in this case, I feel it is justified. Including this example, I have seen a total of 5 appear in the last several years. That is not to say there aren't others out there, but I have seen multiples more of the traditionally dialed 242Ts over the same time. The last great example I saw come up for sale was featured on 'Bring a Loupe' a little over 3 years ago, here:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bring-a-loupe-october-28-2016

Why am I selling? I had the opportunity to buy a few grails earlier in the year, and am still consolidating in the wake. Tough decisions needed to be made, this one in particular. My loss is your gain.

On to the details...

Dial/Hands: Excellent condition, with only a small spot of wear in the 6 o'clock position of the minute subdial. Awesome, warm patina to the lume dots (all of which are intact) and hands. Lume glows under UV but falls off rapidly (no residual glow).

Case
    : Excellent condition, with sharp bevels/facets (I'm never sure which to use, so I'll cover myself).

Movement: Powered by the famous Valjoux 72. The watch was regulated in my possession, but prior service history is not known. It is running and keeping good time presently, and the chrono is functioning as expected.

Bracelet
    : This watch will be shipped head only. The strap pictured is for illustrative purposes only.

On to pricing...

I am asking $15,500 - now $14,500 - for this watch and am open to offers. It is admittedly difficult to price given the lack of comps. The example that was featured on 'Bring a Loupe' that I linked above had an ask of $15,850, so I am starting in that ballpark, but please don't hesitate to start a conversation about price! I am not unrealistic or unreasonable in that regard. The price includes fully insured shipping within CONUS (strongly preferred). Local pick-up is also welcome in the NYC area. I may ship internationally on a case by case basis, fully insured only and at the buyer's cost. For a transaction this size, I would prefer bank wire, but I would consider a partial payment through Paypal if that is of interest (you assume fees if you prefer not to use Friends & Family). I can provide references relating to purchases from and sales to fellow OF members on request, you should be able to do the same.

Now on to the best part - the photos! If there are other photos you'd like to see, please reach out and I can add accordingly in the comments. Alternatively, you can see more photos of the watch "in the wild" on Instagram @watchaholicnyc. Thanks for looking!

IMG_1683.jpg IMG_1682.jpg IMG_1650.jpg IMG_1645.jpg IMG_1636.jpg IMG_1635.jpg IMG_1633.jpg IMG_1632.jpg IMG_1631.jpg IMG_1630.jpg IMG_1625.jpg IMG_1622.jpg

Edited Dec 9, 2019
  2. shishy www.hpmor.com Nov 26, 2019

Awesome example!!

3. JamesL1680 Nov 28, 2019

Happy Thanksgiving bump!

4. JamesL1680 Nov 29, 2019

‘Bring a Loupe’ bump!!

Chye, Dre, bartonhall and 2 others like this.
  5. JamesL1680 Dec 9, 2019

Bump and price drop, to $14.5k

6. JamesL1680 Jan 8, 2020

to eBay it goes..