Radium watches

So, I just finished reading The Radium Girls book, and I'm curious - do people who buy/own these old watches with radium dials actually wear them? Occasionally, or on the regular?

Super interesting book as well, btw. Totally recommend.

The topic has been discussed here and elsewhere many times. If you try the search or Google you will find a number of threads. I believe the general consensus is that wearing the watches is pretty low risk. Working on them takes some special care. Storing large numbers of radium watches poses a risk of radon gas build up.

I personally choose to avoid radium, but I don't think people who don't avoid it are crazy.

I've only got 2 radium watches. If they're not in the bank box, and I'm not wearing them, they're stored in an airtight container and opened in a well ventilated room.

I have a few. As long as the case and crystal aren't compromised, I think that the risk is minimal. I do agree that radium dialed watches should be stored separately from non-radium watches and in a well ventilated non-living space to avoid any possible buildup of radon gas. And don't ever attempt do-it-yourself service on a watch with a radium dial -- leave it to a watchmaker who has the relevant experience, tools and safety equipment to do the job properly. Radium is not tritium. It has a half life of 1,600 years, is VERY radioactive, and poses a serious health risk if ingested and that includes contact with the skin or inhaling radium dust from flaked lume.
Edited:

Storing large numbers of radium watches poses a risk of radon gas build up.

I don't buy radium watches for this exact reason. Radon is no joke. I don't like the idea of radioactive gas floating in my home because I can't stop hoarding vintage watches.

I don't buy radium watches for this exact reason. Radon is no joke. I don't like the idea of radioactive gas floating in my home because I can't stop hoarding vintage watches.
To each his own, of course, but I doubt that a few radium dialed watches are going to produce a serious radon gas hazard. The amount of radium based paint used in the lume is tiny. Radon gas occurs naturally in the environment as a byproduct of the decay of uranium ore. There are areas of the United States where many homes require radon abatement systems due to higher concentrations of naturally occuring low grade uranium in subterranean rock. The Reading Prong, particularly in certain parts of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York, is a prime example. The danger posed by naturally occurring radon gas in such areas is well documented and I suspect is far more of a health hazard than a modest collection of radium dialed watches when propertly stored.

I’ve never had a problem with radium dialled watches

To each his own, of course, but I doubt that a few radium dialed watches are going to produce a serious radon gas hazard. The amount of radium based paint used in the lume is tiny. Radon gas occurs naturally in the environment as a byproduct of the decay of uranium ore. There are areas of the United States where many homes require radon abatement systems due to higher concentrations of naturally occuring low grade uranium in subterranean rock. The Reading Prong, particularly in certain parts of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York, is a prime example. The danger posed by naturally occurring radon gas in such areas is well documented and I suspect is far more of a health hazard than a modest collection of radium dialed watches when propertly stored.

I have tested radon levels in the room where I store my watches, and the level is not above background. If I put the detector in a small sealed container with some radium-lumed watches, then obviously the level of radon becomes pretty high.

I gave my only radium watch to my last girlfriend. She loved the idea of having one after learning about the radium girls. When it was mine I didn't think anything of wearing it, the amount of radiation given off was negligible.

I have a small Geiger counter that I like to bring to meet ups. It’s true that the concentration matters. I’ve observed that military watches are way more radioactive than they look

I've read quite a bit on this subject and the amount of radium used in the dials of my watches is pretty small. The fact that there's a metal case, often double walled in the case of military pieces, means that its not exactly dumping a ton of radiation into my body. The risk lays in the residue from the broken down radium paint which is floating around inside the watch. So open them up damn little and do it in a well ventilated area if you have to. Both of the watchmakers I've used over the years have serviced dozens of these things and somehow not grown flippers or had their nuts drop off.

I think the hazard is low enough that there's a lot of other things in the world I should worry about first.

I had a few radium watches before but I sold them after I realized what they were. Honestly, if I was older and didn't have small kids I would have kept them. I just didn't feel comfortable wearing them around my kids, or my wife who was pregnant at the time, and that's where I spend the vast majority of my time outside of work

I recommend reading this article from the University of Northampton: WWII Military watches ‘potentially pose serious cancer risk’.
"The authors, Dr Robin Crockett, University of Northampton, and Professor Gavin Gillmore, Kingston University, warn these levels are high enough to be dangerous even in much larger spaces, such as whole houses." Worryingly even individual (military)watches can spike radon to an unsafe level.

I think radium as such is not very dangerous in this context, it's the decay product radon that has the potential to cause harm. The old watch forum saying 'just don't lick the dial and you're fine' is simply not true. If you are concerned about radon, you should measure the level in your home like the wise @Dan S has done.

Radon doesn’t float about the house, it sinks to ground level or even down to your basement if you have one as it is way heavier than air. It disperses pretty quickly and poses very little threat IMO. The fears are overblown. A chest X-ray or long haul flight are much more of a risk if done often enough. I am a graduate in Physics and have several Raduim lume watches. I take no special precautions.
Edited:

I recommend reading this article from the University of Northampton: WWII Military watches ‘potentially pose serious cancer risk’.
"The authors, Dr Robin Crockett, University of Northampton, and Professor Gavin Gillmore, Kingston University, warn these levels are high enough to be dangerous even in much larger spaces, such as whole houses." Worryingly even individual (military)watches can spike radon to an unsafe level.

I think radium as such is not very dangerous in this context, it's the decay product radon that has the potential to cause harm. The old watch forum saying 'just don't lick the dial and you're fine' is simply not true. If you are concerned about radon, you should measure the level in your home like the wise @Dan S has done.

they site a fairly large collection kept in a poorly ventilated area. I doubt 3 or 4 pieces in a well ventilated room are much of a hazard. I read other reports on this and the hazards were higher for the person servicing the watch as most of the problem materials were trapped in the case.

there’s a nuclear powerplant about 100 km from my home, the town in which it is situated requires osmosis type water purification systems in all new homes and has the highest instance of birth defects in the nation. There’s another town not too far from here that has an entire area designated as uninhabitable due to toxic waste dumping in the 50s & 60s. That shit worries me much more than a few contaminated watches.

they site a fairly large collection kept in a poorly ventilated area. I doubt 3 or 4 pieces in a well ventilated room are much of a hazard. I read other reports on this and the hazards were higher for the person servicing the watch as most of the problem materials were trapped in the case.

there’s a nuclear powerplant about 100 km from my home, the town in which it is situated requires osmosis type water purification systems in all new homes and has the highest instance of birth defects in the nation. There’s another town not too far from here that has an entire area designated as uninhabitable due to toxic waste dumping in the 50s & 60s. That shit worries me much more than a few contaminated watches.

O wow - that is rather disturbing.
There's a recycle plant not far from me, and some mornings I smell some pretty horrible fumes, though I have no idea what they are. I stay inside, just because the smell is so bad.

Thanks for the convo - reading the book made me curious, so I guess I'll follow up on these links y'all posted here.
Reading about the entire situation, how these girls were treated, the settlements they got and didn't get, etc. It was all so realtable, even today. Or maybe especially today.

I've read quite a bit on this subject and the amount of radium used in the dials of my watches is pretty small. The fact that there's a metal case, often double walled in the case of military pieces, means that its not exactly dumping a ton of radiation into my body. The risk lays in the residue from the broken down radium paint which is floating around inside the watch. So open them up damn little and do it in a well ventilated area if you have to. Both of the watchmakers I've used over the years have serviced dozens of these things and somehow not grown flippers or had their nuts drop off.

I think the hazard is low enough that there's a lot of other things in the world I should worry about first.

Thanks for these pics, too - the whole time I was reading I was imagining what they might have been painting!