Forums Latest Members
  1. Dgercp Jan 14, 2021

Hi all, I know there have been numerous posts here and elsewhere about risks of owning/wearing radium watches.
    My take from this literature is that there is some small but definite risk involved.

The purpose of this post is not to rehash the science of radium watch risk, but rather to canvas the community
    about their personal behavior towards wearing radium pieces. I would like to know how many out there refuse to own or wear radium watches, and how many would wear them every day without a second thought?
    How many of you maybe limit the amount of time wearing them, and if so, how often do you feel comfortable wearing one? Have you sold off radium watches because of anxiety? Will you not buy a radium piece because of anxiety.

Personally, I own 9 radium watches. They are among my most beautiful watches. I no longer keep them in a safe with my other watches because of radon buildup and keep them out in ventilated areas in various places. I also tend to wear radium watches only about once/week. This is totally arbitrary but just fits my comfort zone at this time.

Thanks for your thoughts.

thelinendial likes this.
  2. SkunkPrince Jan 14, 2021

I pay zero attention to it. Most of the damaging radiation never gets past the case and the crystal.

So what if I lose three months of my lifespan? Not like I have anything to lose, really....

JohnWoo, kaplan, oinkitt and 2 others like this.
  3. Marsimaxam Jan 14, 2021

No problem... I feel fine after wearing my 1961 Rolex GMT, absolutely fine
    6gv765o1ot831.jpg

In all seriousness, the radium in the lume is still radioactive, however, it is far more dangerous if inhaled or ingested. The metal casing and the crystal of the watch provide some degree of protection as the alpha particles are blocked and only the gamma rays penetrate the watch.

"The watches are likely to emit as much radiation today as they did when they were first manufactured, but experts say that in reality, the risk to wearers is probably low.
    One study by the Public Health Service many years ago found that a person who wears a radium watch for 24 hours a day over the course of a year could conceivably be exposed to 65 to 130 millirems of radiation.
    By way of comparison, the average person is exposed to about 300 millirems of background radiation in a typical year, and a single chest X-ray exposes a patient to about 5 to 10 millirems of radiation.
    That means a person who owns a radium watch (and presumably isn't wearing it 24 hours a day), has little to worry about, said Dr. M. Donald Blaufox, the chairman of the department of nuclear medicine at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx. A radium watch becomes hazardous only when someone opens one and tinkers with the dials, inhaling radioactive dust particles."
    Rolex1675.JPG

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/11/health/really.html

vlaspri, WatchCor, marco and 3 others like this.
  4. Canuck Jan 14, 2021

I wear antique and vintage watches, some possibly with radium dials. I have a stash of hundreds of parts watches and project watches in a cabinet within 3 feet of my workbench many with radium. I use petroleum solvents, labels of some cautioning me to use adequate ventilation. I use asbestos pads in my workshop when I hard solder items. I drink wine from crystal stemware which uses lead oxide! My house emits traces of radon gas. I am beyond worrying if my profligate lifestyle will shorten my life. (Donning my brown helmet in case I get called a senile old fart, or a geriatric clockmaker.). ::stirthepot::

marco, apsm100, Wryfox and 5 others like this.
  5. asrnj77 Jan 14, 2021

On another note I’ve been looking at vintage Citizen’s from the late ‘70s that used Promethium-147. The ones that have “P Japan P” on the dials. Although it sounds scary I believe Promethium-147 was pretty safe with a half-life of just 2.5 years. Safer for the wearer but crappy life for the lume.

6. Dgercp Jan 14, 2021

Yes, but do you eat hot dogs?

cvalue13 likes this.
  7. Dan S Jan 14, 2021

I don't give it a second thought.

Tony C. and Spruce like this.
  8. mzinski Jan 14, 2021

You forgot to mention your age, 23, and post a picture... ;)
    upload_2021-1-14_19-6-58.jpeg

PS. To be clear, this is making light of the perceived effects and concerns for radium, NOT anyone’s age.

Edited Jan 14, 2021
    vlaspri, WatchCor, robinhook and 2 others like this.
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 15, 2021

No worries at all, though I do occasionally wince at my watchmaker's cavalier attitude.

apsm100 and Dan S like this.
  10. Caliber561 Jan 15, 2021

When I first started out with vintage watches, I purchased lots of cheap project watches with radium dials, and would tinker with them because I was fascinated, and didn't know enough about vintage watches and radium to have any concern about the lume. I even relumed one of them for fun, and I didn't take any precautions when I did. Ultimately, if you're aware of the risk, and if you have the correct knowledge regarding the proper treatment of radium watches, I feel that owning them, wearing them, etc is not really a significant issue. Radium is probably at its most dangerous when the person who owns it doesn't know about it.

Personally, I purged my collection of radium watches a while ago, as I wasn't confident in many of their capabilities to retain an adequate seal to keep in the radioactive dust. That, radon buildup, and residual radiation concerns just convinced me it wasn't worth the risk. And I won't lie, the shock from realizing the implications of putting a naked dial and handset inches from my face was also a contributing factor to that decision.

That said, I am not a nuclear physicist, and I am really young, so to my understanding radiation exposure is more of a concern, which is why I have decided to err on the side of caution.

thelinendial likes this.
  11. gbesq Jan 15, 2021

Well, let’s see. A highly radioactive element with a half life of 1,600 years that emits radon gas as it decays. What could go wrong? :eek: Seriously, it’s only dangerous if inhaled or ingested. As others have said here, it’s fine as long as you don’t open the case and the crystal is intact. Servicing the watch, however, should be left to a professional.

12. Vintagewtchzilla Jan 15, 2021

... didn't someone complain about WUS thread topics ? .... here we go again

and btw i don't give a if radium oder original panda fur on my dial.

raduimglow.jpg

13. Engee Jan 15, 2021

Note to self: stop licking old watch dials.

wagudc, OllieOnTheRocks and Spruce like this.
  14. Professor Jan 15, 2021

I've never heard of any cancer being traced to wearing a watch with a radium dial.
    The only reason the "Radium Girls" became victims was because they developed the habit of licking the tiny brushes to fine up the point. It was direct contact with the residues of still liquid paint with some minor ingestion.

Contact with uranium ore including cases in Iraq where drinking water was stored in plastic drums that had contained Yellow Cake resulted in no radiation sickness. Uranium is expelled by the gastro intestinal tract. Only in cases of dust becoming lodged in the lungs did the ore cause serious illnesses.
    A water resistant watch is unlikely to allow any radon gas to escape.

If watches with radium dials were on today's market I would not hesitate to wear one.

Modern lumes are all but worthless. Duration of the luminescence is too short lived.

Having a large collection of dials and hands could result in a many fold exposure which might prove to be a problem.

marco and Spruce like this.
  15. amfalconer Jan 15, 2021

I don't have any radium watches, but it doesn't bother me

Here I am on my holidays....

DSC_0015 crop.jpg
    vlaspri, apsm100, Caliber561 and 4 others like this.
  16. Snooz Jan 15, 2021

Don't own a radium watch myself, but my Father used to - an Explorer 5500, which he traded in 30 years ago due to radium anxiety....:eek:

17. M'Bob Jan 15, 2021

When I asked a nuclear scientist this question years ago, he said if you’re not strapping the watch over your eyeball, or to your balls, you should be fine...

Seaborg, apsm100, Caliber561 and 5 others like this.
  18. cvalue13 Jan 15, 2021

Could I have a minute? I need to go, uh, check the oven...

apsm100 and Spruce like this.
  19. jhross98 Jan 15, 2021

i will only own a watch under 20 usv/hr (arbitrary cutoff) and wear them once a month

i am quite certain i have "saved" 100x the radiation exposure by not flying during the pandemic than i will ever be exposed wearing (not opening) these watches

WatchCor likes this.
  20. iamvr Jan 15, 2021

Thanks @Dgercp for this thread. I was asking myself the same questions when pondering whether to buy my first vintage with a radium dial. Particularly as my decision may not only affect me personally but potentially my entire household incl. two toddlers. But I read every single thread on OF on this topic and put confidence in the experts such as Seaborg, Dan S and many others. Hence, I decided to go for the radium watch, but will keep it separated from my other watches in a well ventilated space and far away from my kids and will only wear it occasionally.