Radium watches

O wow - that is rather disturbing.
There's a recycle plant not far from me, and some mornings I smell some pretty horrible fumes, though I have no idea what they are. I stay inside, just because the smell is so bad.
I was involved in plant operations at my last job. We had a company handling our recycling, assuring it was correctly reprocessed.

upon reading their promotional material I noted they were “ processing our recyclable plastics to recapture the thermal energy they contained”, having a pretty good bullshit meter after 30 some odd years in the automotive industry I looked into exactly what that means. As I suspected, rather than taking the time to sort and have our plastic waste recycled into new plastic products they were incinerating it. So much for “ recycling”... seems the term is open to interpretation and burning stuff to “release its thermal energy” is an acceptable definition of recycling. I changed service providers.

My grandfather's WWII radium dialed watch hasn't bothered me at all.

Kathleen McGivney from redbar gave a talk at horological institute of NY a couple of years ago I think, it was pretty thorough and you can find it on youtube

I was involved in plant operations at my last job. We had a company handling our recycling, assuring it was correctly reprocessed.

upon reading their promotional material I noted they were “ processing our recyclable plastics to recapture the thermal energy they contained”, having a pretty good bullshit meter after 30 some odd years in the automotive industry I looked into exactly what that means. As I suspected, rather than taking the time to sort and have our plastic waste recycled into new plastic products they were incinerating it. So much for “ recycling”... seems the term is open to interpretation and burning stuff to “release its thermal energy” is an acceptable definition of recycling. I changed service providers.

o noooo! but yea, the smell is really quite odd, so I'm sure there's something going on there. I wonder if I should try to get more information about it, but then I might just have to move. it's not the only reason, but it might tip the scales a little.

Kathleen McGivney from redbar gave a talk at horological institute of NY a couple of years ago I think, it was pretty thorough and you can find it on youtube

going over to check this out now - thank you!