Forums Latest Members
  1. cezar Apr 27, 2021

I have a new sapphire speedmaster on the way, and I'm over the moon. It's my first big watch purchase and I could not be more excited.

I have a couple questions now and I bet I will have a couple questions later.

First question, I did a ton of reading on this but I still didn't get a answer I understood; on this movement is it okay to run the chrono 24/7 forever? Or bad for the mechanism?

Second question; I had a terrible experience at the local dealer and ended up ordering direct (I literally walked out in less than 60 seconds) so I will not be going back. Can I trust any competent jeweler with sizing my watch or do I need to be careful who touches it? I've spoken to two--both said they would need to see it to commit to doing it (i.e. no direct experience), but both are known to be good jewelers. How big of a deal is sizing the watch at a decent non-authorized place?

2. Gruesome Apr 27, 2021

I think it's helpful for all of us to actually identify the dealers and boutiques we had good and bad experiences with.

Your bad experience was with an authorized dealer, it seems. Do you have an Omega boutique nearby? Sizing a watch band is not rocket science, but you don't want somebody to practice for the first time on your watch...

3. Evitzee Apr 27, 2021

General rule with many chronographs of the Omega design is running the chronograph continuously will result in more wear, but it might not be a real factor because you'll need a general service down the road before the wear becomes a problem.

I would approach a jeweler who is not familiar with the design of the Omega bracelet with caution. It's not super complicated but it does have tiny screws that can be stubborn to remove without heat and a good quality screwdriver. You would hate for them to bugger up a couple of screws by not approaching the job correctly or understanding the way it is constructed.

Risto likes this.
  4. PhilF Apr 27, 2021

If you have an Omega Boutique within a reasonable drive, they will do it properly and with a smile. I fully agree with Evitzee, if they're not fully conversant with Omega bracelets, it's risky. You spent 7 grand on a beautiful watch, don't let someone learn on it. Really sorry your local AD is less than user-friendly, luckily I've had a good one an hour away for 40 years. As much as I like the new bracelet on my 3861, I've been wearing it on an Omega deployant leather strap. Don't let a first bad experience ruin your enjoyment of your Speedmaster.

5. revmiguel Apr 27, 2021

My understanding is that chronos with a horizontal clutch (like the Speedmaster) should not be run continuously – unless you don’t mind putting extra wear on the movement. Chronos with a vertical clutch can be run continuously without putting extra wear on the movement.

6. panic k. Apr 28, 2021

You can size it yourself with a small screwdriver like the one used for (eye) glasses. Use some tape if you are afraid of scratches

blufinz52 likes this.
  7. Andrew C Apr 28, 2021

1. put it on your wrist
    2. press any of those buttons for as long or as short as you like, multiple times over
    3. wear it in good health, Sir - you only live once.

8. nicolamilton Apr 28, 2021

I often activate chronograph, not always. Wouldn't be worried with 5 years guarantee.
    About sizing bracelets, with appropriate 1,8mm screw driver is an easy task. Most of us do it on our own (I didn't need applying any heat).

blufinz52 likes this.
  9. cezar Apr 28, 2021

Is it a 1.8mm flathead? I might just to it myself. I adjusted my current watch and it was easy enough and I'm pretty handy with tools.

blufinz52 likes this.
  10. nicolamilton Apr 28, 2021

Yes. Just unscrew 2 little screws and push the pin out.

11. s2000_driver Apr 28, 2021

Just get a 1.8 mm Bergeon drum barrel screwdriver. It makes a big difference when dealing with super tight screws. Use a black T-shirt as your work surface. It is easy to loose to tiny screws. Using an even dark soft surface helps with keeping track of all those tiny steel components.

Good luck!

Alfista88, Pun and scapa like this.
  12. kcgunner Apr 29, 2021

Yeah I wouldn't run the chrono 24/7 but that's just me. I doubt it would do much before your next service.

13. cezar Apr 30, 2021

Thanks for all the info guys. I got my watch in and sized.

upload_2021-4-30_17-45-40.png

Couple thoughts;

- Wow it's better than I expected. Overall stunning build quality
    - It fits perfectly in every way
    - I'm so so glad I got the sapphire. No milky ring imo.
    - The sapphire is not as proud as it looks in a lot of photos. Overall the proportions are perfect. Does not stick up.
    - I'm incredibly disappointed the 2021 does not come with the tool, spare spring screws, loupe, and NATO strap. I did not realize this and I am a bit gutted. I planned on wearing the NATO strap 50% of the time and now I have to pay $150 extra to get it. This reeks of cost-cutting. I actually called them to ask if I was missing the extras (Loupe gone too) and they confirmed the 2021s no longer come with this stuff. It at least should have come with the strap. Very disappointed.

14. fc3861 Apr 30, 2021

This is the milky ring that everyone talks about and IMHO, makes too big of a deal about. I got the hesalite though because I'm more of a purist. It is definitely a scratch magnet. I almost wish I would have got the sapphire because of how easy it is to scratch up the hesalite. Thank goodness for Poly Watch is all I can say.

Enjoy your new Speedy! I love mine as well and wear it every day.

Best regards,
    Frank

2021-04-30_19-06-12.jpg

gnuyork likes this.
  15. cezar May 2, 2021

I see exactly what you are talking about. In person it's just a non-issue. It really is. It looks way boxier and notable in photos. In person you really do not see it (unless you are looking super hard to see it). It anything it feels like a stylistic choice connected to the decision to not have the crystal in a recess like a lot of other watches. I can see how the Hesalite would have a different look though.

Lu.., gnuyork and PhilF like this.
  16. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices May 2, 2021

Any other owners having an issue with the reported 48 to 60 hour Power Reserve?
    Before someone asks: Mine is no where near 36 hours. I know, call the my AD :(

17. s2000_driver May 2, 2021

It should run close to 60. Not to worry, Omega will take care of your watch as it is clearly out of spec...

18. Stufflers Mom May 2, 2021

I have this watch, and I would be very careful about using a 1.8mm screwdriver, the screw heads are more like 1.4mm to me, but I could be wrong.

19. s2000_driver May 2, 2021

it is 1.8mm for sure. There’s room even with a 1.6mm. 1.4 mm will work but it is too small for my comfort.

20. Gruesome May 2, 2021

Invest the time and effort to shape the screwdrivers (I think you need two, one on each side) so they fit the slot exactly: very slightly narrower than the slot so they don't scrape the screw hole sidewalls, and just the right angle so the tip almost but not quite bottoms out in the slot.