Forums Latest Members
  1. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 7, 2019

The black dial is a Dennison 13322, probably in 9K gold, made in Birmingham as you say based on the serial number 1948-49. There should be a year letter on the hallmark, likely it'll be X-Y. As you say, the dial has definitely been replaced at some point. That Omega font is later than the rest of the watch. This is not uncommon with black dial Omegas, most have been repainted it seems. It looks nice but isn't mega valuable, think £300-400 bearing in mind it hasn't been serviced and has replacement parts.

Edited Nov 7, 2019
  2. ErreCi Nov 7, 2019

Not sure if related or helpful but a quick reverse image search ended up on a couple of threads/posts linked to this OF user.
    If that's the case, you can have a read at those said threads and a few more in order to have a few more informations on those watches you have.
    Apologize if not related or inappropriate/not very sensitive:

https://omegaforums.net/members/vincereynard.17554/

3. Claven2 Nov 7, 2019

The black dial watch is perhaps a redial, I'd need to see better face-on photos to say for certain, but as a gold watch with 30mm movement, it has value.

No idea what the quartz constellation would go for, but certainly not 6k.

Whatever you do, do not repair the hands. The ones on the mkii you have are not the right hands, but opening the watch and potentially messing something else up will shave hundreds of pounds off its value. A watchmaker would offer to put on modern hands, but they cost around $100 plus labour and still won't be the hands a collector would want.

If your intention is to extract money from the watch, selling it as-is is the smart move.

4. EmmaLR Nov 8, 2019

"Reverse image search" Thats sound rather clever . How do you do that?

Please don't worry about causing upset I wouldn't be on here if that was the case. Anyway it supports the descriptions
    I've been given and, presumably, he was a member here. (Obviously he knew about the hands and considered the provenance
    of greater value.)

Many Thanks.

5. Dan S Nov 8, 2019

The Breitling Top Time could potentially be the most valuable of all depending on the variant, if it's stainless, original and in good condition.

6. alam Nov 8, 2019

I’d say hold on to the gold watch - never know when a total and devastating financial crisis will hit :)

btw, where did the pic of the Breitling go?

7. Claven2 Nov 8, 2019

The OP does not seem to have posted photos if all the watches yet, but searching her late relative's posts is one way to see how the watches looked a couple years ago.

Apologies in advance for any insensitivity here. I'm truly sorry for the OPs loss.

8. ErreCi Nov 8, 2019

It is actually very simple. Open Google main page, top right corner click on "Images", then drag and drop the image you'd like to find on the web inside the search bar. It works with both images found on the net or anything you have on your PC that has been posted on the web. Of course it just cannot work every single time, image links or entire websites can be modified or taken down during the years, but it is actually a very powerful tool.
    And thanks for your understanding, I was indeed trying to be helpful when posting that member profile. Under the "Posts" tab you can check out all of his posts, including infos on the watches he bought, sometimes the prices and/or the maintainance he did to them.
    Best of luck with everything and I second Alam's suggestion, don't sell the gold Constellation if you really don't need the money right now. Gold price can only increase and I'm sure that those integrated bracelet models will become more of a trend in the near future. I personally like it a lot too, but that's just me, apparently!

9. Claven2 Nov 8, 2019

I should mention, omega (here in canada) charges $950 for a basic chronograph service. My local independent charges $650. That's about $625 and $525 usd respectively. If an independent needs parts, they they charge you extra, while omega covers it as part of the cost.

If you can get a full chronograph service and timing locally and provide a 2 year omega warranty, guarantee authentic parts are used, etc., then you are in a lucky minority imho.

Also, watch oils dry out in 4 to 5 years, so if has sat longer than that, it needs a total service.

Etp095 likes this.
  10. alam Nov 8, 2019

this may be true for some old types of oils but not for lubricants used in modern watches...but @Archer is one expert here we must listen to..

Edward53 likes this.
  11. Claven2 Nov 8, 2019

I can't wait for his input. My prediction: he will say a wstch should be serviced every 5 years or so, whether you wear it or not.

I'm not a watchmaker, but I am a mechanical engineer and these are but little wee geared machines with minute amounts of lubrication. Viscosity breaks down even in modern oils.

12. EmmaLR Nov 9, 2019

I
    Being an Omega site I thought it would be a bit rude to show others!
    Reading from the info - a Breitling 810 1.1 1966 Made for approx 1 year. Monocoque case. Movement fitted from the front.
    Included case and warranty. How do they get the front off?
    Apparently quite rare - https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-breitling-top-time-810

991 Nov. 08 23.00.jpg

Etp095, NVWC and alam like this.
  13. alam Nov 9, 2019

Thanks for showing such a nice Top Time! There's nothing rude about showing other brands here, the reason we have this Other Watch Brands Forum

14. Edward53 Nov 9, 2019

The Top Time is a Mk1 and with that dial variant in that condition is IMO worth £3500-4000.

15. Claven2 Nov 9, 2019

What a great brietling! Thanks so much for showing it!

16. Dan S Nov 9, 2019

The Breitling is the best one you've shown so far in terms of value and collectibility. They are quite desirable, at the moment at least, and based on what I can see in those photos, the condition looks original and very good.

Edited Nov 9, 2019
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 9, 2019

Old watch oils (natural oils) didn't dry out, so much as they became very viscous and gummy. This would actually cause the watch to stop, and force the service to be done. Modern synthetic oils tend to dry out over time, rather than gum up. This means the watch can run and run, wearing itself out...

Modern oils provide a longer life than natural oils do, but once they fail they allow the watch to keep running and wear.

How long oils last is not something that can be pinned down exactly, as it depends on how a watch was used. I posted these photos recently in another thread, but this is a watch with an ETA 2824-2 that was worn daily (only watch the person owned) for 7 years from new...

Balance jewels are dry:

[​IMG]

Dried oils in other jewels, or oils that have been contaminated with wear products:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the resultant wear on the pivots of the various wheels:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al (former engineer turned watchmaker)

Etp095, DaveK and alam like this.
  18. jove14 Nov 9, 2019

I thought he said 4 Amigos!!!
    Joe.

Edited Nov 9, 2019
  19. EmmaLR Nov 18, 2019

I'm back again to irritate with my ignorance.
    The other 3 watches are -
    A 18ct Rose Gold Chronograph which is described once as 50's and later as 60's.
    4623414062.jpg 4623414076.jpg

4623414079.jpg
    A 18ct Jaeger LeCoultre DuoPlan Ladies Watch circa 1933. Allegedly another, more famous, E.R. wore one at her Coronation!
    jaeger-ladies-duoplan18k-33-01.jpg
    jaeger-ladies-duoplan18k-33-15.jpg

Rolex 18ct Ladies Watch circa 1923 !! Seems hardly worn.
    rolex-ladies-18k-24-02.jpg
    rolex-ladies-18k-24-08.jpg
    Such is modern fashion that the watches do not look that out of place on me! Except the metal straps will probably not shorten sufficiently.
    1009 Nov. 18 14.04.jpg

What is the best place to advertise other than Ebay etc?

Thanks again!

Edited Nov 18, 2019
    wagudc and Etp095 like this.
  20. EmmaLR Dec 1, 2019

Well that is 4 sold! Surprisingly the Speedmaster went for the least (if you ignore the black dial Omega winder.)

Speedmaster - £1347 (more than expected)
    Rolex 18ct Cocktail watch -- £1600 !! An auction house had valued it at £800 > £900.
    Omega Diamond Quartz - £1550.

Breitling did not sell, possibly because Ebay refused to list it as international, so it would only appear in Ebay UK.

Sadly I "broke", and had to withdraw, the LeCoultre.