Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. EmmaLR

EmmaLR Nov 4, 2019

Good Afternoon.

I have been asked to sell 4 Omegas from my Fathers estate and, despite scanning the usual auction
    outlets, I've gained little idea of their true worth. (Cheap to highy optimistic!)

I know I cannot advertise on here but would appreciate some advise.

Is that OK?

Regards
    ELR

2. p4ul

p4ul Nov 4, 2019

Hi Emma, sorry for your loss.

Take as good quality photos of each watch and post them here. Someone should be able to tell you the model names.

You will need to get an experienced watch repairer to remove the backs of the watches to find model and calibre numbers this will give you a rough age. (Get photos of this if you can).

With this you will be able to search eBay and watch sale websites to find similar items that have sold, this should give you some idea.

DaveK likes this.
  3. S.H.

S.H. Nov 4, 2019

Well, you are honest about what you want to do at least (some can't even spare some basic courtesy). To identify what you have, you would have to show some clear pictures (front and back), and also have their reference numbers. Those numbers are engraved inside the back of the watches, so you may need some help from someone who can open them (a watchmaker). We can certainly help to ID; assessing value is more complicated.

4. DaveK

DaveK Nov 4, 2019

And... consider not selling to the the first person to private message you with an offer. A full picture of their value will emerge.

5. EmmaLR

EmmaLR Nov 5, 2019

Many thanks for your kind replies.

I have a flash stick with the watches that has loads of images and descriptions. Hopefuilly correct.

No1 is a Speedmaster Mk2 1973. (Accodrding to thewarranty.)
    Bought off it's original owner. Who wore it occasionally until 1989, then had it serviced by Omega and it has sat in a draw
    ever since. Complete with boxes and guarantee. (Probably no longer valid.)
    MK23.JPG Mk25.jpg

A 1972 Constellation - documents with it suggest - 368 0845 (?) 125 gms of solid 18ct gold!
    N.B. there is a small chip on the glass that is not visible in this image.
    solid2.jpg
    solid3.jpg

This looks surprising small by modern watch standards and is rather elegant.
    At current gold prices it is worth about £3250 as scrap!

Etp095 likes this.
  6. S.H.

S.H. Nov 5, 2019

The speedy is valuable indeed, its value depends a lot of the cosmetic condition of the case, it has a tendency to pick up a lot of scratches. I'm not sure the hands are quite OK (may have been replaced).

The second one may be valuable because of the gold weight, but its style may make it harder to sell.

Etp095 likes this.
  7. Claven2

Claven2 Nov 6, 2019

Wrong hands on the speedy, definitely, so it's just another refurbed mkii. $1600 to 2000 usd imho.

Etp095 and Mark020 like this.
  8. Dan S

Dan S Nov 6, 2019

Good advice above. The MkII would sell fine on eBay with good photos, people are quite familiar with the reference. Sadly, the Constellation is basically gold bullion, so this would probably a good time to sell it, perhaps at a pawn shop.

9. ConElPueblo

ConElPueblo Nov 6, 2019

::confused2::

Nice photos of that second watch, btw. Who took those and who told you the gold value..?

Togri v. 2.0 and durri70 like this.
  10. EmmaLR

EmmaLR Nov 6, 2019

"Nice photos of that second watch, btw. Who took those and who told you the gold value..?"

Certainly not me! There is a flash stick with the watches giving the descriptions and all the images.
    I've no idea would took them, perhaps the original sales outlet?

Gold Price is from one of the many scrap bullion online outlets -
    985 Nov. 06 18.40.jpg

This assumes that it really is 125 grams! Naturally determining that would destroy the watch.

Shame really I much prefer the second watch to the first!

I have another 2 Omegas to sell as well, although I suspect you will like them even less!

11. p4ul

p4ul Nov 6, 2019

I have another 2 Omegas to sell as well, although I suspect you will like them even less!

:) Don’t assume, there are people on here with strange and varied tastes in watches!

Post pics of the other two?

12. Lurk41

Lurk41 Nov 6, 2019

Agreed about the pics of the 2 others! Worst case scenario, people here will confirm to you they only worth their weight but at least you'll know for sure ;)

Won't the warranty card and box add a bit to its value? It is a full set. Quite rare for a watch of that age..

@EmmaLR
    I think it is worth to service the Mark II again - by a reputable watchmaker - and use this opportunity to fit it with its proper tritium hands.
    The service will be needed anyway given the last one was done 30 years ago.
    I am pretty sure you will gain a bit to do it, especially as you could also sell its current hands (@all: those are original Mark II Racing, right?)

You could decide to not service it and let its new owner handle this. You won't have to wait long before it is bought, only at a lower price.

If you decide for a service, just don't ask Omega to do it. The watch will look pristine but Omega won't fit it with original tritium hands and may also replace the dial because of the - now forbidden - tritium... Service (luminova) hands and dial instead of original Tritium ones will both decrease the watch value instead of increasing it

13. Claven2

Claven2 Nov 6, 2019

The Mk II value is only my option, but a few threads down one in much more original condition us selling for $1600 usd.

Lots for sale on Ebay for 2500-3000, but they just keep being relisted and haven't been selling. They are not as marketable as a moonwatch.

Also, a chrono service will run $500+ usd for that watch, locating correct hands a couple hundred more if you are lucky, etc.

Being serviced wont be valued by the next owner at the actual price in all likelihood. Again, just my opinion.

I always assume an omega chrono will cost me $1000 more than list price to set it right.

Dan S and tikkathree like this.
  14. Dan S

Dan S Nov 6, 2019

I agree. Servicing and restoring a watch is not generally financially worthwhile for a seller. And in this case, where the seller is not a collector or an expert, finding someone to do the work correctly and for a fair price would probably involve a lot of time and effort. Things could be found during a service that would require additional costs ... yadda, yadda. Just sell it as-is.

wagudc and Davidt like this.
  15. Davidt

Davidt Nov 6, 2019

Got to disagree. If the op is selling there's no way the time and cost associated with servicing the mk2 will increase the return.

Dan S likes this.
  16. wagudc

wagudc Nov 6, 2019

My condolences on the loss of your father. Losing my father and inheriting his watch brought me to this forum as well. I would encourage you to consider keeping the Constellation as I think it would look nice on a woman's wrist (I am assuming by your name Emma that you are a woman, apologies if I am wrong). I enjoy wearing my dad's watch, in fact I am wearing it today. Of course, you are free to make whatever choice is right for you. I wish you the best.

20191106_094253 (1).jpg

Etp095, DaveK and TimeODanaos like this.
  17. mozartman

mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Nov 6, 2019

As for the Constellation, I see what seems to be the identical model listed by a dealer online with the following information:
    International Collection: 1969
    Watch head ref. = 168.0047
    Case : 33 x 39,1 mm, rounded square dial opening, 18K solid gold, with integrated 18K gold bracelet, case back with 4 screws.
    International collection : 1969-1976
    That watch sold for $2,300. According to the rather detailed product description, it weighs 144 grams, and presumably a good amount of that weight would be 18 kt gold. I'm guessing about half, as the current value of 108 grams of gold would be about 5,178.60 USD or 4,018.62 GBP.

18. padders

padders Nov 6, 2019

Half of 144 is 72 is it not? At ~£26 a gram that’s more like £1,800. You are pricing at 24k. It’s 3/4 of that. You’ll do well to get more than 95% of spot.

19. Lurk41

Lurk41 Nov 6, 2019

Given that it was serviced by Omega and sat in a drawer since, I don't expect to encounter any issue during the service. It should only be cleaning, oiling and new gaskets. So, at least $500 just for that? Maybe I have an incorrect idea about service costs in the US and it costs more than anywhere else in the world, but I think you're getting screwed if you pay that much...

I agree the hands should cost around $200. But as the current ones can be sold around the same price, the net cost is only the time spent to find the correct ones.

I did not thought too much about that part, and now you say it, I fully agree. Finding the correct person and the hands could take some time. And the financial reward at the end won't be a lot.
    I still think it is a good idea for a watch enthusiast who is not in a hurry, but yeah, maybe a normal person should just sell it as-is

20. EmmaLR

EmmaLR Nov 7, 2019

Thank you for all of your replies and help. I see the Speedmaster hands are black in the centre and not white, is that the problem? Simple thought - why not take the works out and repaint the hands? Is it that difficult?

I've weighed No2 (the solid gold) it it weighs exactly 140 grams. How much to deduct for works / glass / crown and other sundry steel bits?

Here are the other 2 for your critique.
    A 1948 winder (?), which, according to his notes, he knew had an incorrect dial and (probably) hands. (The case numbers match) And it is a Dennison ?
    Personally I like this best of them all!
    1948 266 winder 9K Dennison Case.jpg
    MovementCheck.jpg
    A watch he referred to as a Sheik Special! Mid 90's quartz.
    omega-constellation-diamond-06.jpg

I have a document that stated the diamonds are 0.84 carat. The whole watch at a somewhat unrealistic $6550. Surely not the new price?
    As someone mentioned above, the size of these these 2 would make Ladies' watches. Especially "blackie".

Plus a Breitling Chronograph (810)
    Plus a Ladies Omega. (1960's) Tiny.
    And a 1933 Ladies Jaeger LeCoultre. (Cocktail watch)
    And a 1923 Ladies Rolex.(Cocktail watch)
    And a 50's 18ct Chronograph. It shows "Ascot De Luxe" and "Incabloc Chronographe Suisse" on the dial.

Quite a varied collection!

Edited Nov 7, 2019