Forums Latest Members

Question from someone who has never bought pre-owned before

1. Pdugger91443 Apr 15, 2020

Hi all,

Wanted to ask a question or two about buying pre-owned as I am (very close) to being in the market for a Rolex Explorer II 16570. I have done quite a bit of research on the watch and think I'd like to go for a w series model, have an idea of what is fair to pay etc.

My question is, what are things you all do to investigate or get comfortable with the online seller or perhaps a seller from a forum like this one?

Second (and this is surely because I have never owned a pre-owned watch) does anything change about the service process when you are the second owner? i.e. let's say i get a 16570, feel great once it gets here and a few years down the line take it into Rolex for servicing but only have the watch (never got box and papers) will they still service it?

thanks all!

2. kip595 Apr 15, 2020

I had a similar service experience with an Omega SMP about five years ago. Found it on the secondary market at a great price but realize very quickly it needed a full service. Non-original owner, no box or papers. I took it to the Omega boutique (which was just down the street from me at the time) and they happily took it in, noted my instructions NOT to alter anything cosmetically (no service dial, polish, etc.), shipped it off to Omega and had it back to me in perfect shape mechanically and original shape aesthetically (down to a scratch on the bezel still being there) w/in 6 weeks. I can't imagine Rolex doing any less for a modern era piece like the Explorer II you mention, but of course everyone has a different experience, YMMV

As to buying, research as much as possible, get as many opinions as possible, and research the seller inside and out to make sure you're fully confident before a buy. In collecting several different things over the years from hot rods to watches to antique guns, I've learned that if something feels off, it probably is.

adibou likes this.
  3. Pdugger91443 Apr 15, 2020

Thanks this is really helpful! The service question was one I just couldn't find an answer to anywhere so really appreciate it!

As far as the research that seems to be what most folks say! Something still just feels off about not having the in person reaction but that also does make it quite tough to find certain watches if you limit yourself to just in person interactions so trying to get a bit more comfortable with working online, through a forum etc.

Cheers

4. studeb Apr 15, 2020

You should also know that with a pre-owned watch, not under warranty, you are not obligated to take it the factory for servicing. It is very likely you can find a competent, trained watchmaker with access to factory parts locally to you, or at least on this forum.

marco and Wryfox like this.
  5. Pdugger91443 Apr 15, 2020

That's good to know, obviously likely to be cheaper... would probably have its own entire vetting process though. Surely the forum would be a good place to start. I was looking at an explorer 2 a year or so ago, found a good one for a good price and when I went to see it in person it turned out the previous owner took it for servicing to someone in town and they re-painted all the lume and the lume had started to chip off inside the dial.. nightmare!

6. Dan S Apr 15, 2020

Actually, there are very few remaining independent watchmakers that have access to Rolex parts. Rolex has pulled parts accounts from the vast majority of them in recent years. In the US, there are apparently only about 50 remaining independents that actually have parts accounts. Obviously there are many others who can service a Rolex, but if they need parts, they may have to scramble to find them.

However, for a relatively modern watch as described by the OP, as long as the watch is legit and doesn't contain aftermarket parts, there is no problem having it serviced by a Rolex Service Center, and they have standardized rates.

7. Evitzee Apr 15, 2020

You never need the papers if you are going to pay for the repair/overhaul yourself, and you never need the box in any case. With any used watch you should always add in the cost of a full service as part of the purchase price, if you get the watch and it is running completely within spec then you have a bonus. Almost every used I had needed an overhaul soon after receiving it despite the promise that 'the watch is running fine'.

8. NickC Apr 15, 2020

There's a nearly new Explorer up for sale on her , with 4 1/2 years of warranty left. Might be worth checking it out.

9. Candle00 Apr 15, 2020

This could be a good place to start -- https://omegaforums.net/forums/watch-seller-profiles/

10. Ninja2789 Apr 15, 2020

Having bought from almost every major platform (forums, eBay, IG, even reddit) verifying a seller can take many forms.

I look not only at their profiles data (# of post, how old the account is) but also spend time on the quality of the profiles content. Is this a person who just posts “nice watch!” a thousand times? Or do they engage with the community? Have they shared about watches of similar value? Or are they selling a Patek but only write about Seikos?

If you can’t go pick up the watch in person, then the best you can do is try and see if there are any red flags in a person’s online profile. Even then, there have been a steady increase in phishing and hacked accounts. Be patient and be aware.

good luck in your watch search.

Pdugger91443 likes this.
  11. Pdugger91443 Apr 16, 2020

Thanks this was quite helpful - definitely good to think about in terms of adding the service cost into the purchase price - these are the simple things a noob to the pre owned market doesnt think about!

12. Pdugger91443 Apr 16, 2020

Thanks.. makes good sense and seems like something that would hopefully be pretty well accounted for on a place like here given the 200 post minimum to sell etc .. appreciate the practical steps here, understanding that it will still take time to find the right seller and piece!

13. adibou Apr 21, 2020

Hey there Pdugger, if you're not confident buying outright you could also go through an escrow service (like Chrono24).
    You receive the watch, inspect, take it to a boutique for authentication, and if everything looks good you can give the green light to release the funds to them. If not, you get to return it.

Depending how far your negotiations are with the seller that could be a way for you to achieve peace of mind maybe?

Good luck!