Forums Latest Members

Question about buying on this forum?

1. bucksandreds Dec 20, 2019

With a wire transfer through a sale on this site is there any recourse if you don’t receive what you pay for? I’m in the market for my first Omega watch but am nervous of sending cash to someone that I don’t know.
    Thanks in advance.

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 20, 2019

3. dx009 Dec 20, 2019

I would imagine that there is some form of safety net but I guess it can depend on bank policy and stuff.

You can do it via Paypal but not the Friends and family option, the other one. There is a small fee to be paid but in case something goes wrong you should be able to get your money back.

thelinendial and bucksandreds like this.
  4. Dan S Dec 20, 2019

There is no recourse through OF, if that's what you are asking. Private purchase. Definitely read the rules and guidelines on the sales forum and elsewhere on the site. Many of us routinely buy from and sell to each other, but trust is required. If you aren't comfortable with it, don't do it.

5. ConElPueblo Dec 20, 2019

When you PM the member selling the watch, ask him what his policy is if it isn't stated in the advert (which it should be).

Also, as stated above - read the various reviews on the seller's feedback forum :)

Sidnos and bucksandreds like this.
  6. jlam1127 Dec 20, 2019

Funny times we live in.... I was taught growing up to never get into a car with people we don't know...now that's all I do with Uber

Edited Dec 21, 2019
    jankymutt, Foo2rama and bucksandreds like this.
  7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 20, 2019

Yes, but don't buy watch from an Uber driver :D

Foo2rama, bucksandreds and jlam1127 like this.
  8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 20, 2019

I thought you drive for Uber.

redpcar, bucksandreds and jlam1127 like this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 20, 2019

You're confusing me with @redpcar

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 20, 2019

I think you should buy new. You will still be nervous about service.

bucksandreds likes this.
  11. bucksandreds Dec 20, 2019

I am looking at new now and want Omega warranty and not private warranty. I'm just hesitant to send any person thousands of dollars with zero legal recourse.

12. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 20, 2019

Be under no illusions, a private sale funded by wire or direct payment has basically no recourse if the seller is dishonest. The problem with Paypal is that while it does offer the buyer some protection, it opens up the seller to fraud so isn't always offered. I for one am not a fan of Paypal and generally do not accept it when selling here. This is why you need to perform due diligence on your seller and establish he or she is who you think they are and indeed do have a verifiable history of selling honestly and fairly. Buying from another tax jurisdiction can add a further layer of complexity. Who is liable for any import duties? Usually it is the buyer but these things should be discussed and agreed before a sale is agreed and money changes hands. Who covers the insurance? Usually the seller but again it needs to be sorted up front.

Edited Dec 20, 2019
    Foo2rama and bucksandreds like this.
  13. Evitzee Dec 20, 2019

I have found that people who are leary of sending money to a stranger are very difficult to do business with no matter how open you are with them, it is hard to overcome the inherent block of seding thousands of dollars to someone you don't know. These folks are better dealing with local businesses where they can do a F2F transaction. Once a wire is sent, it's gone.

And this goes double if it is a vintage piece.

Edited Dec 20, 2019
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 20, 2019

You are better going down to your local AD then as @Evitzee suggests. I’ve lost count of the bank transfers, F&F and combinations I’ve done here on OF. Never been burned. Very very low odds of a high post count member ripping you off. Trust, transparency and mutuality are very important here and anywhere. That goes for sellers and buyers. To be honest, and I mean no offense, your jitters would cause me not to sell to you.

janice&fred, aap, airansun and 6 others like this.
  15. scapa Dec 20, 2019

BBM. This is absolutely true.

OP, I'd agree with those advising you to purchase your new watch from an AD/OB, or look for a trusted seller online with a solid reputation who is willing to accept payment via CC. Your peace of mind in terms of the overall transaction likely outweighs the relatively small savings realized by buying from a private seller, however outstanding and trustworthy that seller may be.

bucksandreds likes this.
  16. bucksandreds Dec 20, 2019

You weren't nervous the first time you wired someone you didn't know thousands of dollars?

17. bucksandreds Dec 20, 2019

I'd be saving about $600 on hesalite Moonwatch as getting one with a credit card that has an Omega warranty is not an easy proposition outside of ADs. That's a lot of money. More than I make in a day of work.

18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 20, 2019

Nope ... he was vetted here through other members.

bigdubnick, kov, jlam1127 and 3 others like this.
  19. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 20, 2019

I recently came close to sending a watch to someone before receiving payment, the only reason I did not was that he changed his mind about the purchase. I also collected a watch locally that was paid for by another member and sent it on to him. There are members here that I would send thousands of dollars to by wire without hesitation, and yes $600 is also a lot of money to me.
    But I certainly would not wire money to every member on every forum, I have been here a while and have developed that level of trust for most of the respectable members here.

Ian_km, DaveK, Larry S and 2 others like this.
  20. wsfarrell Dec 20, 2019

This doesn't always work. In the last six years or so I've seen four highly respected forum members just vanish. In two of the cases, the members disappeared with thousands of dollars in deposits for high-end custom kitchen knives. Family issues, divorce, medical issues, whatever--it happens. It still boggles the mind that people will send thousands of irretrievable dollars to strangers.

bucksandreds likes this.