Quartz battery change at home...

Is that a Ronda 705 in a watch that retails for over $2K?

Welcome to the world of luxury watches...

Yes, probably. But it is stamped FENDI, so it's an "in-house" movement.

;)

Actually it didn't even have that...

Actually it didn't even have that...

Was talking about the original one Al.

Fendiquartz.png

And he's back for round 2! Our intrepid home battery changer called me in a panic, saying that he couldn't get the case back on another of his wife's watches by pressing with his thumbs. ::facepalm2:: So he dropped off another bag of parts - this one is less concerning than the last one:

He told me he pressed so hard he caved in the back:

So the first job was to flatten that back out again, so the case back would properly snap on:

Then the case back was installed - all good - took about 5 minutes total...

I will direct him to an inexpensive press that might help him do these in the future...

I thought his wife had banned him from attempting watch related activities after the last episode?!

I will direct him to an inexpensive press that might help him do these in the future...

Be a good idea to show him how to use top and bottom dies the correct way as well, otherwise his next visit could be for a cracked crystal replacement.

I'm curious as to how you go about getting the casebacks flat again, I have a similarly caved in case from a watch i bought as a donor, it would seem the previous owner dented the caseback trying to put it back on and then gave up and that's how I got it so cheaply, but I was thinking that perhaps using a small enough die i could press it back to flat with the case closing press, but never did get around to turning up something small enough to fit inside.

I'm curious as to how you go about getting the casebacks flat again, I have a similarly caved in case from a watch i bought as a donor, it would seem the previous owner dented the caseback trying to put it back on and then gave up and that's how I got it so cheaply, but I was thinking that perhaps using a small enough die i could press it back to flat with the case closing press, but never did get around to turning up something small enough to fit inside.

I did just exactly that - used a very small die that would fit inside the case back and flattened it with the case press. One set of dies that I have goes down to 15 mm.

It’s more cost effective to order a 5 or 10 pack on Amazon than to buy just one battery so I’ve ended up with quite the collection of watch batteries

My god we should compare collections... I went to change the battery on my dancing hands Seiko and I realized my 344 batteries expired 3 years ago... Whoops!

I sent him the invoice and information on presses - got this as part of the email back...

"I will check out the presses. I am thinking that my battery replacing days may be over."

:D

My god we should compare collections... I went to change the battery on my dancing hands Seiko and I realized my 344 batteries expired 3 years ago... Whoops!
Similar thing just happened to me with wifes dead Volvo key fob- changed battery with one of those large 2032 batteries I had done it before so was feeling pretty smug about it- and it didnt work. So I called Volvo dealer to complain and they said check the expiry date on the one I just installed and sure enough it was Mar 2023. New battery worked fine. At least I didnt eviscerate the fob....