Forums Latest Members
  1. Omegahelp123 Nov 29, 2022

I'm looking to purchase a seamaster for an anniversary gift of someones passing, I have little experience with vintage watches and after diving down the rabbit hole of finding a watch with no redials/Frankenstein watches its a little overwhelming trying to match watches on things like ebay. I've found a few bits here and there and am trying to use omegas archives but is there a more comprehensive guide/ a reputable reseller available to make things easier.

Cheers

2. Dan S Nov 29, 2022

There are sales listings on this forum and also a thread where recommended eBay watches are posted. The type of watch you mentioned is very common, so it shouldn't be hard to find one.

Edited Nov 29, 2022
    X350 XJR likes this.
  3. janice&fred Nov 29, 2022

Your reputable sellers can be found right here on this site's for sale section

wagudc, Dan S and X350 XJR like this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 29, 2022

Hi welcome.

Your guide is right here. Lots of knowledgeable members willing to help you avoid buying a piece of junk.

Omega's website is unfortunately all but worthless.

UncleBuck and Dan S like this.
  5. Omegahelp123 Nov 29, 2022

So for an example something like this:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13434600...624&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPYPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    As when I look up the ref it comes up with a geneve, this is most likely someone making up reference codes or just random parts?
    Also I assume a black dial is potentially harder to find?
    Sorry there's so many questions there's a lot to unravel!

Dan S likes this.
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 29, 2022

This watch has an incorrectly refinished dial, making a"Seamaster" out of a less desirable/valuable model. This is an all too common thing on eBay.

Yes, original black dials a much harder to find.

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 5.50.24 PM.png

Dan S likes this.
  7. Dan S Nov 29, 2022

You are off to a good start. Yes, that seller has re-painted a less desirable watch in an attempt to deceive. Unfortunately, finding a legit black dial Seamaster on eBay is a needle in a haystack, they are not common at all. If you are very experienced you can rule them out in a few seconds and move on, but it could be difficult and frustrating for you. If you are determined to have a black dial, buy one from a collector here and be willing to tolerate some condition issues and to pay the asking price.

BTW, please post photos instead of links. That is preferred on this forum.

Edited Nov 29, 2022
  8. Omegahelp123 Nov 29, 2022

Yeah I figured as much, so something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33463802...ecprrwxsng&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPYPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

With the condition of the dial and matching references are more likely to be a hit in terms of getting something authentic?
    You guys are sick btw whenever I've had enquires on forums for other things the general feeling is so gatekeepery and pretentious thanks for helping out

9. Dan S Nov 29, 2022

Legit, but with serious condition issues, water damage very likely based on the dial and movement. Please post photos, not links. You don't need to give up condition to get a legitimate vintage Omega. Many of them are in good condition.

10. Omegahelp123 Nov 29, 2022

Ah apologies didn't see your original message about the links, in future will post pictures!
    Cheers for the info though I'll have a dive in and see what I can find

Dan S likes this.
  11. Dan S Nov 29, 2022

I just looked in the private sales forum, and there are a couple there that I would consider.

janice&fred likes this.
  12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 29, 2022

A few things to consider:

Budget!!!

Age range, 1950s, 60s, 70s

Hand wind or automatic

Stainless steel or gold-filled/capped

Dial color

All of these can have a significant impact on budget!

janice&fred, mydeafcat and Dan S like this.
  13. Omegahelp123 Nov 29, 2022

Could you potentially link me to a couple? On mobile and navigating on a new forum is a bit of a learning curve!

14. Dan S Nov 29, 2022

Why don't you give us an idea of your budget and preferences (as suggested above) before we start hunting for you, it could save time and energy.

MtV and cristos71 like this.
  15. Omegahelp123 Nov 29, 2022

60's or 70's,
    Automatic preferred,
    Stainless steel preferred but not worried with gold,
    No preference on dial bar from black but I assume that's going to be harder to get/ more expensive,
    Budget wise isn't too much of a concern as long as it's reasonable for the watch, don't mind spending a bit extra for a reputable seller

16. Olhenry56 Nov 29, 2022

Here is the private sales forum here: https://omegaforums.net/forums/private-watch-sales/

You can also use this site's search feature to search for "Seamaster" in that specific forum.

There are a couple of nice 50's Seamasters currently for sale, including my personal pick if I were shopping: https://omegaforums.net/threads/195...-waffle-dial-uncommon-trident-markers.152978/

This one from the 60s is nice and comes with a bracelet, but would need a service: https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-166-010-1966-with-bor.152225/

Seamasters come up regularly at lower prices than these, too, if that's stretching it, and there are probably some good options there now. I just did a quick look through the first two pages of that forum.

Dan S likes this.
  17. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 29, 2022

18. krogerfoot Nov 30, 2022

Agreed, with the caveat that you should still run it by this forum if you find something promising in Closer0924’s inventory. I’ve bought a number of pieces from them semi-locally; they’ve got a lot of nice stuff priced very shrewdly, but it’s worth it to get a second set of eyes on anything that strikes your fancy.

Edit: “You” meaning the OP.

janice&fred likes this.
  19. Omegahelp123 Nov 30, 2022

20. Dan S Nov 30, 2022

It's cheap for a reason. Among other things, someone did a terrible job trying to restore the radial brushed finish on the bezel.