PSA: I got scammed...

by the wife. Here's the story:

We always check-in with each other with large-ish personal purchases. So, all of my watches are approved by the boss. Yes, every single one. Last week, during dinner, my wife and daughter were in a middle of a passionate fashion/footwear discussion. Naturally, I zoned out. Somewhere in the middle of their convo, I heard: "I want some Vans cleats". Wife tapped me into the convo and asked "what do you think about gold Vans cleats, for me?". The heck do I know about shoes? sport shoes, snooze fest. "Yes, I like gold, you and [our daughter] should match".

This was the topic of our convo. At least I thought it was. Vans cleats

Vans cleats. The ladies love them! so I was told. They are very popular on IG.

Sunday night, I received notification from Amex that my card is being used and needed my approval for an unusually large amount. Merchant was "Richemont North America, Inc". Yes, that Richemont. All signs pointed to "wife surprise me with a watch". Ladies, Daddy loves you more.

During lunch today, both my wife and daughter seems extraordinary excited, like they've just won something. Together the gals tadah me with a matching pair of this:

Daughter said: "Thanks Dad. I love my Van Cleef. By the way, do you know Van Cleef is owned by Richemont, apparently they make watches too"... As soon as my daughter finished her sentence, my wife high-five her.

And that's how I am scammed out of my annual bonus. Boys you have been warned. Van Cleef and Vans cleats are NOT the same. Don't let the Richemont billing fools you too.
Edited:

I would have been tipped off if my wife asked for cleats

Wow, 12k a pop if I’m not mistaken. One of my colleagues got one as a present from her Mom who’s definitely not in the same tax bracket as me.
Oh well, is there a return policy ? ::stirthepot::

Wow, 12k a pop if I’m not mistaken. One of my colleagues got one as a present from her Mom who’s definitely not in the same tax bracket as me.
Oh well, is there a return policy ? ::stirthepot::
Righteo....honey, give me the Van Cleef's, I'm sending them back.

If you were happy with the amount being spent on a surprise watch for you, certainly you must be happy with it being spent on a joint present for wife and daughter ? 😉

If you were happy with the amount being spent on a surprise watch for you, certainly you must be happy with it being spent on a joint present for wife and daughter ? 😉

why must you bring logic and reasoning to the internet?

Because I’m a woman of course. Unbiased too. 😁

Look on the bright side. Think of the future. Any watch purchase from now on..."well I did buy you guys a Van Cleef each'... I'm not sure how long the favor lasts, but at least two purchases perhaps?

My wedding ring is a Platinum Van Cleefs ... I knew where this was going. LOL

Nice nice.

by the wife. Here's the story:

We always check-in with each other with large-ish personal purchases. So, all of my watches are approved by the boss. Yes, every single one. Last week, during dinner, my wife and daughter were in a middle of a passionate fashion/footwear discussion. Naturally, I zoned out. Somewhere in the middle of their convo, I heard: "I want some Vans cleats". Wife tapped me into the convo and asked "what do you think about gold Vans cleats, for me?". The heck do I know about shoes? sport shoes, snooze fest. "Yes, I like gold, you and [our daughter] should match".

This was the topic of our convo. At least I thought it was. Vans cleats

Vans cleats. The ladies love them! so I was told. They are very popular on IG.

Sunday night, I received notification from Amex that my card is being used and needed my approval for an unusually large amount. Merchant was "Richemont North America, Inc". Yes, that Richemont. All signs pointed to "wife surprise me with a watch". Ladies, Daddy loves you more.

During lunch today, both my wife and daughter seems extraordinary excited, like they've just won something. Together the gals tadah me with a matching pair of this:

Daughter said: "Thanks Dad. I love my Van Cleef. By the way, do you know Van Cleef is owned by Richemont, apparently they make watches too"... As soon as my daughter finished her sentence, my wife high-five her.

And that's how I am scammed out of my annual bonus. Boys you have been warned. Van Cleef and Vans Cleats are NOT the same. Don't get the Richemont billing fools you too.

Your post has brought a smile to my face on an otherwise frustrating afternoon. I can't thank you enough for sharing this! 😀

So the next question…. Did you confess you thought they were talking about sneakers?

Oh, surely 😉

So the next question…. Did you confess you thought they were talking about sneakers?

Upper management is well aware of the wordplay here. This is supposed to teach me a lesson to pay attention.

Just think of this story that you can even tell your grandchildren? Surely, it's worth the price!

Great story! With the giant markups in jewelry, the real scammer is Van Cleef.

Great story! With the giant markups in jewelry, the real scammer is Van Cleef.

amen.
The car guy laughs at the watch guy for the insanity of our hobby. The watch guy is in tears paying for these bracelets.

Honestly, I still don’t get it and I’m afraid to ask.
Edited: